Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What recruits? Chase who was never solid to begin with, and Upshaw who is a dime a dozen 3 star DE?

Thank goodness that’s all it’s been.
Yeah, we have lost nothing.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, what you're saying is that we flew to New Hampshire, met Chip, proceeded to pull out a shiny new Nickel, grin, raise our eyebrows up and down, look alternately between Chip and the nickel and say, "enh? enh? enh?". Finally, after about one minute of awkward silence, Strick tells Chip to think about it.

Meanwhile, UCLA met Chip at the airport in a Brinks truck?

All this sounds as credible as anything I've heard in the last two weeks.

I think Kelly ceased being a virgin a long time ago. We're dealing with a whore.

Swampsoup

Nov 21, 2017
The "fakenews" UCLA announcement today will come and go with silence. Information will leak out that Chip Kelly has accepted the UF offer today/tonight. SS will step to the podium tomorrow and say "IN YO FACE!...GIMMIE THAT DUCK HEAD (Corso reference)

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Its not so much about Kelly or even Frost for me. What's most discouraging is that we identified our target, but then couldn't get it done for whatever reason. Once again makes me question our commitment to be great. Seems the landscape of CFB is changing and the stakes are getting even higher to stay on top. Even if he flamed out spectacularly in 3 years time, I have no doubt Kelly would have gotten us back in the national picture. Our Admin must have felt the same or they wouldn't have targeted him. Sad thing is, when it came down to committing what was needed, it appears we may have blinked.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We greatly overestimate our position in the college football world and how great of a position we think our coaching vacancy is.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Relax, guys. We're making a play for Frost and Norvell's still out there. Sky is still up there, not down here.

If you're at all like me, it's a mixed bag not getting Kelly. Sure, he would have brought excitement and innovation to the job and given us real hope of getting right back in the mix. But the talk of Kelly and all his baggage is not without merit. He's not a transparent manager, he can be difficult to get along with and he sure as hell doesn't like to recruit, which is at odds with being successful in the SEC.

Could he have recruited himself? I'm not sure that's the best of bets. I'm pretty sure Frost can.

I just want a guy who wants us as much as we want him and who we can plan on being here awhile.

When you've got as much gelt as Kelly, money isn't the only thing. Maybe he's just more comfortable in the Pac-12. In any case, we could offer him gazillions of bucks, the sun and the moon, and he still wouldn't come. And if he doesn't like recruiting . . . that's what got him in trouble in Oregon - hiring that firm . . . how successful will he really be in the SEC? It sounds more and more like it's a matter of what he wanted, not so much how well we recruited him. And it appears that perhaps he just didn't want us.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We greatly overestimate our position in the college football world and how great of a position we think our coaching vacancy is.

It's that, for sure, but it's the underpinnings that matter even more IMO. We've fallen behind in terms of revenue opportunities (e.g. why were we so quick to extend Nike at a relatively low figure in 2014?) and we've fallen behind in spending. We've got some real work to do.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There are a lot of money whores with entourages in this world. Integrity is a commodity. Where 'O where is that next coach that wants to be at UF? Go Gators!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's that, for sure, but it's the underpinnings that matter even more IMO. We've fallen behind in terms of revenue opportunities (e.g. why were we so quick to extend Nike at a relatively low figure in 2014?) and we've fallen behind in spending. We've got some real work to do.
Well, one of the problem is we arent the preferred color of the Crips, which makes UCLA more valuable apparently.

main-qimg-ac01d9cbcc2f6dbe27ee10ee28c11721-c

Maybe we can convince them.to wear a darker blue and perhaps negotiate from a stronger position next time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, college football is no longer Knute Rockne, Bud Wilkerson and win one for the Gipper. It's become a bigass business.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There are a lot of money whores with entourages in this world. Integrity is a commodity. Where 'O where is that next coach that wants to be at UF? Go Gators!
There are plenty who WANT to be but they either have losing records or have already failed at Texas.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its not so much about Kelly or even Frost for me. What's most discouraging is that we identified our target, but then couldn't get it done for whatever reason. Once again makes me question our commitment to be great. Seems the landscape of CFB is changing and the stakes are getting even higher to stay on top. Even if he flamed out spectacularly in 3 years time, I have no doubt Kelly would have gotten us back in the national picture. Our Admin must have felt the same or they wouldn't have targeted him. Sad thing is, when it came down to committing what was needed, it appears we may have blinked.

BS on "our commitment". Stricklin and the administration are "committed." Two points here. As I just wrote, we could offer him the sun, the moon, and a gazillion bucks (and with all the $$ he's got, maybe money isn't a motivator to him), and maybe he still wouldn't come. Because it's as much, or more, of what he wants to do instead of what we want. If he wants the more laid-back life of coaching in the Pac-12, that's his preference, regardless of what we may have offered.

My second point in rebuttal is your comment "Even if he flamed out spectacularly in 3 years time . . ." Let's say he's the guy. Next year we would improve to maybe 8-4, or even 9-3 (provided there's no hurricane game and we only play eleven again). So it takes til 2019 season to contend for SEC and perhaps NCAA titles. Then Kelly being Kelly, who doesn't like recruiting, and cuts corners, gets us in NCAA trouble. And he has to leave because of that? I'm sorry, but he's not worth that to me. I've already lived through the 1984-85-86 seasons (and SOS's first, stunted season because of what Galen did), and if that's the future under Kelly, I say "no thanks."

Last edited:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
When you've got as much gelt as Kelly, money isn't the only thing. Maybe he's just more comfortable in the Pac-12. In any case, we could offer him gazillions of bucks, the sun and the moon, and he still wouldn't come. And if he doesn't like recruiting . . . that's what got him in trouble in Oregon - hiring that firm . . . how successful will he really be in the SEC? It sounds more and more like it's a matter of what he wanted, not so much how well we recruited him. And it appears that perhaps he just didn't want us.
It sounds a lot like McElwain all over again. We just dumped that loser because he was a bad fit. Add into it the fact that his recruiting was terrible, he was all in on crappy assistants, blah blah blah.

Point is, if Kelly ain't coming maybe we dodged a bullet. If he does, I don't think anybody views him as a lifer, more like a 5 year coach at best.

I still think there are several good alternatives out there. Lets wait and see. In the meantime I hope we kick the crap out of the Criminoles today.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, one of the problem is we arent the preferred color of the Crips, which makes UCLA more valuable apparently.

Maybe we can convince them.to wear a darker blue and perhaps negotiate from a stronger position next time.

Under Armour wanted a bigger presence in LA. Not much we can do to counter that. What I'd like to know is how Ohio State managed to get a quarter-billion out of Nike.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
And here it is. Pete Thamel is not just some internet troll, this is happening:

@PeteThamel: SOURCES: UCLA is finalizing a deal to make Chip Kelly the next coach there. An agreement is expected by the end of the weekend.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
I think Kelly ceased being a virgin a long time ago. We're dealing with a whore.

Isn't that the difference between a whore and a b1tch? A whore screws everyone. A b1tch screws everyone but you? I don't think we can call him a whore. I'd call Strick a whore because he definitely screwed us if this plays out the way it looks like its going to.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
I can't think of a more depressing hire than Strong. Guy had three consecutive loosing seasons at Texas. That takes a special brand of incompetence. If we hire Strong, we should also leave the SEC and join the Sun Belt. We can then play all our games on Friday's in front of a few hundred disinterested fans.

"We tried" that's the mantra of losers everywhere. Winners close. End of story.

That’s great for movies and motivational posters but not how life works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.