Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Sure you fire the CEO of your company because he can't convince one or two individuals to come work for you.

Totally over the line, there is much more to being an AD than hiring a football coach, much more!!!

You fire the CEO if he hires people who run the most profitable part of your business into the ground. You also fire the CEO if he was brought on in order to turn around the business, and fails. Football accounts for ~50% of the AA's revenue. If you can't get that one right, you can't do the job.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
At this point comes to mind: how does a U conduct multiple searches at once? Do we seed sports spundips to sow a bunch of rumors? :rolleyes:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
You fire the CEO if he hires people who run the most profitable part of your business into the ground. You also fire the CEO if he was brought on in order to turn around the business, and fails. Football accounts for ~50% of the AA's revenue. If you can't get that one right, you can't do the job.

Perhaps you do these things, rational people don't. And I would agree if he controlled the situation, he does not. Not even close to controlling it.

And of course he was not brought in to fix football, it is only a small portion of his job, important but small.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Perhaps you do these things, rational people don't. And I would agree if he controlled the situation, he does not. Not even close to controlling it.

And of course he was not brought in to fix football, it is only a small portion of his job, important but small.

Football may be a small portion of his job as far as day to day work, but football is the primary source of revenue that keeps the rest of the job running. I'm proud of our gymnastics, and women's volleyball, and track and field. I want all of our athletes competing at a high level. They are able to do so, because of the facilities and coaching staffs paid for with revenue generated mainly by football, or donations motivated by football, or licensed merch purchased because of football.

If the football money dries up, so does the entire department. So, of course he was brought in to fix the football program. Everything else he does depends on it.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Perhaps we don't really have 50 lbs of gold, or if we do many other teams have at least 48 or perhaps more.

We are not getting whatever coach we desire when we desire them. If that was true probably Frost would be that guy, or Kelly would already be on board.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Football may be a small portion of his job as far as day to day work, but football is the primary source of revenue that keeps the rest of the job running. I'm proud of our gymnastics, and women's volleyball, and track and field. I want all of our athletes competing at a high level. They are able to do so, because of the facilities and coaching staffs paid for with revenue generated mainly by football, or donations motivated by football, or licensed merch purchased because of football.

If the football money dries up, so does the entire department. So, of course he was brought in to fix the football program. Everything else he does depends on it.

If you actually think he was hired to "fix" the football program well I can't say much. And yes football is important, I want it improved, I will hold him responsible for improvements that he can control (like getting the facilities done) but not for getting one of two coaches to sign up. He does not have that type of control, and I really don't want him to have that type of power either. How about we just really go wild and get Saban to come, or maybe the Falcon's head coach. Kelly is only a possibility because he got fired, he is now very wealthy and really is set for money. If he wants to coach again UF is not the best place for him Oregon would be that.

PS football money is not drying up either, it might not be as much as we would like, but not drying up either.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps we don't really have 50 lbs of gold, or if we do many other teams have at least 48 or perhaps more.

We are not getting whatever coach we desire when we desire them. If that was true probably Frost would be that guy, or Kelly would already be on board.

We might not get Kelly. We have had a bad run the Last 8 years but it does not discount we are Florida and the right coach can make us gold again.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you actually think he was hired to "fix" the football program well I can't say much. And yes football is important, I want it improved, I will hold him responsible for improvements that he can control (like getting the facilities done) but not for getting one of two coaches to sign up. He does not have that type of control, and I really don't want him to have that type of power either. How about we just really go wild and get Saban to come, or maybe the Falcon's head coach. Kelly is only a possibility because he got fired, he is now very wealthy and really is set for money. If he wants to coach again UF is not the best place for him Oregon would be that.

PS football money is not drying up either, it might not be as much as we would like, but not drying up either.
What do you mean drying up? If you mean going down, it will and potentially sooner than most believe regardless of how successful or poor we are. When does the secn contract expire?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I thought this was an open board. The past several pages look anything but that to me. It's become as snarky and divided as an Alt Right rally in Eugene. Esp you, Law, the guy who swore up and down to me three weeks ago that UF was going after Frost and that everything said to the contrary was a diversion.

Until someone posts confirmation from the UAA, I think it's fair to say neither side is right or wrong. It's opinion. That's all we have until it is what it is.

The reports along the way could be accurate but it isn’t done until it’s done.

People are just venting their anxiousness. I don’t know what to think about the wait but several posters I respect have won me over to some real optimism if he does come.

If he doesn’t, I’ll avoid the meltdown & hope they get a rising star like Frost or drag Stoops out of retirement.

Last edited:

LukeGator

Nov 16, 2017
It's exciting times.... at this point I'm not really sure who we get, but I am confident in Strickland and I'm comfortable with whomever it is will be a game changer for us. We have suffered long enough...
Not bashing Shortcast or any other members, but I'm surprised at the number of people in this thread who say they are confident in SS or they trust SS. What has he done in his short tenure at UF to earn our trust or confidence? If he pulls off a Kelly or Frost hire he deserves it. Until then his ability to identify and hire a good/great football coach is unknown at best.

BLACKCELL

Dec 1, 2014
We are getting Kelly. If for some reason this falls through,... Pay Frost Kelly type money and we are still better than what we have endured previously.

bucsdude

Nov 13, 2017
I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Frost, he is actually my top choice. The problem is, the bench is pretty shallow after Frost. If Stricklin can't land Kelly or Frost, we need to find a new AD.
Although, I prefer Chip, Frost would be an awesome hire and potentially better recruiter. After that, the candidate list gets pretty scary though. I’m not even sure who I prefer after those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.