Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
just another quick hitter....UCF/USF is on ABC @ 3:30pm and the game has been sold out for 3 weeks. Charlie Strong -vs- Scott Frost and word on campus (my son goes to UCF) is that representatives from the Big 12 in attendance. The thoughts that the Big 12 could rethink conference expansion seeing two schools in the heart of Florida with a natural rivalry with two high profile coaches playing in front of a packed stadium on a beautiful Florida day on ABC would certainly not hurt their image. Secondly, it was mentioned on the radio down here this morning that UF is the least of UCF's worries when it comes to keeping Scott Frost. OK State, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and UCLA have "supposedly" contacted Scott Frost's agent to gauge interest.

We may not get CK or Frost and the drop off to the others is quite steep and would most likely put us right back here in 3 years in even more desperate shape. It is quite possible the SS made a great move acting on JM early but did not follow up with enough energy to lock in one of the premiere coaches before the other P5 schools came calling. If this is the case, SS will have shown he is more interest in diversion, tweeting, and exhibiting that narcissistic "look, I am in control" character that doomed us with his predecessor. I hope to God I am wrong but SS may have overplayed his "we are Florida" hand and left us to pick for scraps.
Don’t be afraid, it will all be okay.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
I still think the Kelly's contract is on hold from being announced due to a forthcoming payment is a bunch of horsesh it. He is likely interested in the Gators job but nothing more at this point. We are the puppet at the end of the string. Time to reach for the scissors and show that we are not afraid to look in another direction.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One of the delays is apparently formal SEC office approval bc of the previous show cause. I believe we had verbal approval already.

You will note that none of the other teams knocking on Dunn's door re Chip are SEC teams.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If this is the case, SS will have shown he is more interest in diversion, tweeting, and exhibiting that narcissistic "look, I am in control" character that doomed us with his predecessor. I hope to God I am wrong but SS may have overplayed his "we are Florida" hand and left us to pick for scraps.
Stricklin's legacy is on the line, no question. I would assume he knows that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One of the delays is apparently formal SEC office approval bc of the previous show cause. I believe we had verbal approval already.

You will note that none of the other teams knocking on Dunn's door re Chip are SEC teams.

Who is the mysterious third team?

bucsdude

Nov 13, 2017
just another quick hitter....UCF/USF is on ABC @ 3:30pm and the game has been sold out for 3 weeks. Charlie Strong -vs- Scott Frost and word on campus (my son goes to UCF) is that representatives from the Big 12 in attendance. The thoughts that the Big 12 could rethink conference expansion seeing two schools in the heart of Florida with a natural rivalry with two high profile coaches playing in front of a packed stadium on a beautiful Florida day on ABC would certainly not hurt their image. Secondly, it was mentioned on the radio down here this morning that UF is the least of UCF's worries when it comes to keeping Scott Frost. OK State, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and UCLA have "supposedly" contacted Scott Frost's agent to gauge interest.

We may not get CK or Frost and the drop off to the others is quite steep and would most likely put us right back here in 3 years in even more desperate shape. It is quite possible the SS made a great move acting on JM early but did not follow up with enough energy to lock in one of the premiere coaches before the other P5 schools came calling. If this is the case, SS will have shown he is more interest in diversion, tweeting, and exhibiting that narcissistic "look, I am in control" character that doomed us with his predecessor. I hope to God I am wrong but SS may have overplayed his "we are Florida" hand and left us to pick for scraps.
Yeah - I mean, what I don't get is why it seems like UCLA is as far along with Chip as we are, when we had a 3 week head start to work in the open. It seems like we should know by now if he's in or out and move on.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Martin was merely conveying a theory, not a report, based on a logical assumption that there could be offset language in the 49ers contract. That's been supported and refuted over the past couple days.

However, Heitner posted this yesterday.

Rovell is an ESPN sports business reporter.

I think there's multiple angles occurring and I don't doubt the heat with which UCLA is pursuing Kelly nor the notion that it's cause for pause. He doesn't decide anything on the whim. He deliberates and deliberates.

Question is, how long can we afford to deliberate with all our eggs in one basket?

Strickland said he’s going to wait until the season ends to interview candidates who held existing head coaching positions. How do we have all of our eggs in one basket? Because there aren’t any other rumors flying around about other candidates?

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016
UCLA just threw down aces and kings....

http://www.onlygators.com/11/12/201...ker-candidates-tracker-updates-news-analysis/

Tuesday, Nov. 21 — Day 23
9:52 p.m.: LandryFootball.com reports that Chip Kelly’s agent met with UCLA on Sunday, the same day Florida flew to New Hampshire to meet with Kelly himself. It also notes that Kelly’s meeting on Tuesday with two senior athletic department officials and the Bruins’ heaviest donor “went well” The discussion with the Bruins appears to have centered around donor commitment and Kelly potentially having the necessary funding to build the program he wants from multiple standpoints.

Chomp: Landry is quite plugged into this industry. Kelly’s agent meeting with UCLA on Sunday certainly debunks prior reports that the sides had no legitimate contact at that time. If this report is accurate and Kelly’s primary concern regarding UCLA was its financial commitment, there is a case to be made that may have been his lone reservation with the Bruins. UCLA bringing out the big guns in Casey Wasserman, the founder of the former megapower management company Wasserman Media Group, is a massive revelation. If Wasserman promises Kelly to give him whatever he needs to win — such as Nike founder Phil Knight did for him at Oregon — Kelly-to-UCLA may be more real than anyone believed 24 hours ago.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope this post isn’t serious. I can name 50 guys I’d rather sign to a 2-3 year contract than Shannon.
You can name fifty more 4-5 loss coaches no doubt. That wasnt the point. We should have kept an interim rather than making the terrible (and relatively expensive for a reject aisle purchase) McElstain hire.

The point isnt to give Shannon 3 years. The point is to not make another bad hire.

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016
200w.webp

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Martin was merely conveying a theory, not a report, based on a logical assumption that there could be offset language in the 49ers contract. That's been supported and refuted over the past couple days.

However, Heitner posted this yesterday.

Rovell is an ESPN sports business reporter.

I think there's multiple angles occurring and I don't doubt the heat with which UCLA is pursuing Kelly nor the notion that it's cause for pause. He doesn't decide anything on the whim. He deliberates and deliberates.

Question is, how long can we afford to deliberate with all our eggs in one basket?

All eggs are not in one basket. When other coach’s season ends, we’ll move on them quickly, and no doubt we already contacted many agents.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Strickland said he’s going to wait until the season ends to interview candidates who held existing head coaching positions. How do we have all of our eggs in one basket? Because there aren’t any other rumors flying around about other candidates?

I have to go on what you have to go on what the media has to go on. That we are on hold waiting on a decision. That means no intense pursuit elsewhere. Every day that goes by with us holding out on Kelly holds us up on actively pursuing another candidate.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Texas A&M is the rumor.
Florida State is the rumor.

ATM is all in and Dumbo and the report is a team "that doesnt have an opening yet".

I guess the other options are Neb or Arky if you think they are hunting Kelly.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have to go on what you have to go on what the media has to go on. That we are on hold waiting on a decision. That means no intense pursuit elsewhere. Every day that goes by with us holding out on Kelly holds us up on actively pursuing another candidate.
Unless all the program insiders are right and we have a signed contract waiting til the end ofnthe season to reveal it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Unless all the program insiders are right and we have a signed contract waiting til the end ofnthe season to reveal it.

So you're discounting the reports of meetings with UCLA?

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
If a meeting took place with UCLA then there is no signed contract in place. It would also make it hard for me to believe that Kelly's heart would be 100% into the Gators if he decided to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.