Coach Mac's abilities

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Despite coming off as a bit of a huckleberry goofball sort of guy I think Mac is going to be a great coach for us. I think it is a carefully devised facade and that a lot of people are going to be surprised with the product that is produced by this coaching staff.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Delg8tor;n254556 said:
Despite coming off as a bit of a huckleberry goofball sort of guy I think Mac is going to be a great coach for us. I think it is a carefully devised facade and that a lot of people are going to be surprised with the product that is produced by this coaching staff.

As Sonny says, "It better be".

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Jake from State Farm;n254466 said:
It's all speculation at this point like if I'll get lucky tonight.

Just sport those Khakis and you'll be in the money.

Coach Mac seems to have that aw shucks, down to earth type of approach but the content of what he says strikes me as someone who has a firm grasp on what it's going to take.
I also think he's realistic about our chances this year but I think we are at the beginning of something great (~SOS circa 1990 maybe?)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n254469 said:
I love .... the way his staff recruits.
Really? What part do you like?

As for the attitude, some times sounding like an idiot is a disguise and sometimes it's bc you are an idiot, eg Les Miles and Mac's old boss of 20 years or so John L Smith.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n254326 said:
I don't know how anyone can make assumptions about the coach really. I don't believe he's given a straight answer for anything. The only we know is that he's been pretty successful in the past and we're not recruiting particularly well at the moment. I believe that will change if we put something decent on the field.
It seems that all the coaches become experts in avoiding the hard questions. Spurrier excepted.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;254764 said:

As for the attitude, some times sounding like an idiot is a disguise and sometimes it's bc you are an idiot, eg Les Miles and Mac's old boss of 20 years or so John L Smith.

I love that he's focused on the offensive line. And he's building relationships with offensive recruits because we've wrecked that. I don't like all the mediocre kids we're taking on defense. I don't like that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n254811 said:
I love that he's focused on the offensive line.
Yes, it is nice that he seems aware that one needs offensive lineman. Such a drastic change from the last fvkking moron.

I don't like all the mediocre kids we're taking on defense and offense.
FIFY.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just glad that attention is being given to offense and the needs. The last idiot couldn't even close the deal on half the guys that Mac is bringing in. Such a difference and it should yield benefits.....how soon, we'll see.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n254764 said:

We are ranked 15th in recruiting with 4 4 stars on the board. It would have taken a ridiculously big name hire to pull any blue chips this early in the cycle. We are going to need to show something on the field before many of the the blue chips jump on board. We are on top for 2 of the best wide receivers in the country in Craig-Myers and Victor, and are now on top for Shavar Manuel who up until a couple weeks ago was an FSU lock. As for the kids in the class now, they are good depth on a team that desperately needs it. I like the changes to the recruiting system. It is subtle things that make the difference. The pictures and graphics they send to kids in the mail has taken a massive step forward. Much more professional looking than the Come play for the Joker monstrosities we were sending out. On visits now when they try on jerseys and helmets for pictures they don't take the pics in front of the plain white laundry room door with the hand sanitizer dispenser on the wall. He hasn't proven anything yet, but he has at least changed the feeling around the program for recruits.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lets see where the class ends up - plenty of time still to go. I think Mac will pull a top 10 class possibly at the end but I wouldn't count on our offense on the field making the case for recruits this season. That will probably have to wait another year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n254872 said:
We are ranked 15th in recruiting
Yes, sniffing Kintucky's tail. I know. The truth is we're just digging into the 3 star rack way earlier than everyone else. We'll see how well that works. It could be painful if we have to jettison an early commit or don't have enough slots for any of the first, second or third tier players we really want.

This year is critical. Outside of the once in a lifetime type talents (Percy, Tim, Emmitt), kids take two or three years to contribute. If THIS class doesn't have some All SEC type talent in it, we will be a 2018 or 2019 turning around at the earliest.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We have a ton of space to take some 3* this year. Mac hasn't had the time to build the relationships with these guys that other coaches have had so he is behind the 8 ball. There may be some flips and you may see some of these 3* guys be 4* guys by the end of the year. If you look at the 2017 class... it looks like it could be top 5 at this point. He already has a top QB in that class who is recruiting kids and it seems they all are talking about playing together. It is along time until these guys sign on paper, but it is a good start.

If he can show some offense you'll see guys like Bruce and Victor come over to the Orange and Blue.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n255021 said:
Mac hasn't had the time to build the relationships with these guys that other coaches have had so he is behind the 8 ball.
This is always the case with second year coaches. Either you can sell it or you can't. SOS and Meyer brought in monster classes in their second year and used those guys to win championships immediately. I realize we have hampered Mac with our coaching staff budget limits but the bottom line is he has to be able to get the job done or convince Fooley to let him hire something better than GAs from USF and RB coaches turned WR coaches from FIU.

Either you have it, or you don't. We will see how we finish.

The roster and the record we will have this year isn't Mac's fault As Chimp would say, "That's on me." However, how Mac and his staff do this year in recruiting most certainly is his fault Yes he started from behind but he also gets to be new and fresh (as fresh as you can be at his age) and not defined yet. Once the snowball starts rolling downhill though, it's hard to change direction.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n255052 said:
This is always the case with second year coaches. Either you can sell it or you can't. SOS and Meyer brought in monster classes in their second year and used those guys to win championships immediately. I realize we have hampered Mac with our coaching staff budget limits but the bottom line is he has to be able to get the job done or convince Fooley to let him hire something better than GAs from USF and RB coaches turned WR coaches from FIU.

Either you have it, or you don't. We will see how we finish.

The roster and the record we will have this year isn't Mac's fault As Chimp would say, "That's on me." However, how Mac and his staff do this year in recruiting most certainly is his fault Yes he started from behind but he also gets to be new and fresh (as fresh as you can be at his age) and not defined yet. Once the snowball starts rolling downhill though, it's hard to change direction.

I agree that he has to have improvement in his second class, but I think you will see that... it just takes more time and he has to show it on the field. Meyer and SOS were more known quantities than McElwain. SOS was a Heisman trophy winner at QB who made Duke a winner and Meyer was the most sought after coach in America. There is a difference there also. From what I am seeing McElwain is doing everything he can right now to get more talent in. From what people said... FNL was the most talented it had ever been and a lot of kids came away impressed.

We will see if he really can get guys like Bruce and Franks to flip and land Victor, but I wouldn't go forming opinions on him yet.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n255114 said:
I believe Mac will be successful here, but I will not be surprised if I am wrong about Mac.
This kind of brilliant insight is why we keep you around.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n255352 said:

Not like anyone else is providing anything better at the moment. None of us know what will happen this season but we are all hoping for the best.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n255352 said:
I don't think he's even watched a football game. He's just a bored telecaller who spends all day on the computer tapping out nonsense, but only if he is at "work".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n255298 said:
Meyer and SOS were more known quantities than McElwain. SOS was a Heisman trophy winner at QB who made Duke a winner and Meyer was the most sought after coach in America. There is a difference there also.
I don't think anyone anywhere ever confused McElwain for one of those guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.