Coaching candidates for 2024

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I don't care about cultural fit. A winner wins anywhere. A loser loses anywhere.
Disagree.
Think, Brian Harsin. Just a bad fit.
I even worry if Ryan Day would be a fit here, culturally.
He's coached here before though, so that's a plus.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There’s no doubt in my mind Billy wins enough next season to get another year. It’s 2025 at the earliest, 2026 is more likely. 2027 isn’t out of the question.
troll dancing GIF

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Obviously I'll get attacked by the mob, but the team will be better next season - a lot of young recruits will make an impact. No one wants to hear it because they want Billy gone, but to completely dismiss the idea that this team can win 7 or 8 games next season is a mistake, no matter what the schedule is.

Napier isn't getting fire next year. Settle in.

Stricklin sure as HELL isn't getting fired, so put that idea out of your head no matter what happens to Billy.
You're prolly correct as money has to really dry up for these cretins to make a meaningful change but I don't trust their decision making when it comes to hiring effective coaches in any sport!

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
So, I have a question about coaching hires that is actually applicable to all/most schools.

A coach is hired at a school and his results are great. He sticks it out and for a number of years and maybe even wins a natty or two. At the very least, he continues winning enough games to keep the fans happy. (Mark Richte comes to mind here). He then retires and the school hires his replacement who continues to do well and again, maybe wins a natty himself. Then that coach retires or decides to make a change and the school makes another homerun hire. All of this is hypothetical but there are cases where similar has happened mind you such as OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. even Bama had a grandslam coach in Bryant followed by a couple of meh coaches then Stallings won a natty. He was followed by five meh or worse coaches then we got Saban who is the GOAT.

Then you have schools like Florida. They had a great coach in Spurrier who won the natty and decided to give the NFL a shot. There were a couple hires that were meh then they hired Meyer. He won a lot of games and the fans were mostly very happy, especially when they won the Natty in '06 and '08. He left and now ya'll have had to endure several meh coaches.

Why do you think some schools can have multiple highly successful coaches consecutively and seem to never miss a beat but then other schools hires a successful coach followed by mediocrity for years and years?
is this a rhetorical question?Asking for a friend

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're prolly correct as money has to really dry up for these cretins to make a meaningful change but I don't trust their decision making when it comes to hiring effective coaches in any sport!

We make enough in the ESPN contract annually to pay off his buy out this year.... money is only an issue if you allow it to be one.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The one thing I'm certain of is that money isn't the issue. If UF isn't wanting to fire Billy, it has nothing to do with his buyout.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don't see a cultural fit for DeBoer in Florida.
In the Southeast even.
Sorry, the guy is Big ten/Pac 2 Material.

No argument that he would be a great coach somewhere. To me, Sort of Like Kelly at UCLA. Not a fit for the SEC.
Who would have predicted Saban would be good cultural fit at LSU? I'm sure he seemed like a MAC/B1G kind of guy. (Hell, even his only NFL stint before the Dolphins was in Cleveland!)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The one thing I'm certain of is that money isn't the issue. If UF isn't wanting to fire Billy, it has nothing to do with his buyout.

I think the idea of waiting another year to make a 2-for with Mr Mundee, combined with 7mil off the top, and the theoretical that this somehow all becomes moot and we take major strides, is enough for them to wait. So money is a factor to some degree.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Who would have predicted Saban would be good cultural fit at LSU? I'm sure he seemed like a MAC/B1G kind of guy. (Hell, even his only NFL stint before the Dolphins was in Cleveland!)
Agree, same could be said for Sark at Texas.
There are no absolutes.

Personally, there are several areas of this country I would never even consider visiting, much less working and living in.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Agree, same could be said for Sark at Texas.
There are no absolutes.

Personally, there are several areas of this country I would never even consider visiting, much less working and living in.
If someone else is paying, I'll visit just about anywhere. (And have.)

Having watched a few interviews of DeBoer, I'd be thrilled to have that guy. He'd easily be our best hire since Urbs. He's currently in a great situation and we'd probably have to throw Jimbo type money to get him. (I suspect he'll get a big raise this off-season.)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, I have a question about coaching hires that is actually applicable to all/most schools.

A coach is hired at a school and his results are great. He sticks it out and for a number of years and maybe even wins a natty or two. At the very least, he continues winning enough games to keep the fans happy. (Mark Richte comes to mind here). He then retires and the school hires his replacement who continues to do well and again, maybe wins a natty himself. Then that coach retires or decides to make a change and the school makes another homerun hire. All of this is hypothetical but there are cases where similar has happened mind you such as OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. even Bama had a grandslam coach in Bryant followed by a couple of meh coaches then Stallings won a natty. He was followed by five meh or worse coaches then we got Saban who is the GOAT.

Then you have schools like Florida. They had a great coach in Spurrier who won the natty and decided to give the NFL a shot. There were a couple hires that were meh then they hired Meyer. He won a lot of games and the fans were mostly very happy, especially when they won the Natty in '06 and '08. He left and now ya'll have had to endure several meh coaches.

Why do you think some schools can have multiple highly successful coaches consecutively and seem to never miss a beat but then other schools hires a successful coach followed by mediocrity for years and years?
In the last going on 40+ years, of the schools you listed, only OSU had "multiple highly successful coaches consecutively" with Meyer/Day. In that same period, we've had the same number (2) of "highly successful coaches" as Bama (and I don't think Stallings wins a NC without Bill "I build NC rosters for other coaches to win NC's" Curry's players... Notre Dame hasn't won a title since Holtz.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
Obviously I'll get attacked by the mob, but the team will be better next season - a lot of young recruits will make an impact. No one wants to hear it because they want Billy gone, but to completely dismiss the idea that this team can win 7 or 8 games next season is a mistake, no matter what the schedule is.

Stricklin sure as HELL isn't getting fired, so put that idea out of your head no matter what happens to Billy.
coaching matters and irregardless of talent, inability to coach your players and properly scheme for success matters a ton and that was proven these last 2 years.

Billy will be gone next year. Deluding yourself to think he'll survive beyond '24, with similar results to last year and this year, isn't healthy. As for Strick not getting fired, you might be right. Sasse is still an unknown when it comes to athletics and if he cares enough to revamp the entire department so soon in his tenure. We can only hope...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In the last going on 40+ years, of the schools you listed, only OSU had "multiple highly successful coaches consecutively" with Meyer/Day. In that same period, we've had the same number (2) of "highly successful coaches" as Bama (and I don't think Stallings wins a NC without Bill "I build NC rosters for other coaches to win NC's" Curry's players... Notre Dame hasn't won a title since Holtz.

I Hate them all, but Ohio State really went from Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, to Ryan Day... obviously the interm for one year with Luke Fickell who also wasn't a bad coach either.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

Why would anybody "Like" this post? This is clearly Ox clickbait.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We don't have to make a splash hire. We just have to make a good hire. Was Georgia dead when they hired kirby? Was Oregon dead when they hired Lanning? Was Oklahoma dead when they hired Venables? Was osu dead when they hired day? Sarkisian wasn't exactly a splash hire for Texas. Hiring an established p5 head coach doesn't usually happen.
I think "Georgia" is the only example that holds here because until next year, the "Big" 10, "Big" 12, Pac 12, and ACC have could have been named the Big 2, The Other Big 2, Pac 2, ACC 2, and f'n The ND 1.

I don't think anyone thought Kirby was going to light the world on fire and sustain it, and it is infinitely easier to make "splash hires" like Riley (or for an "up and comer" to succeed early) in what were basically 2 team conferences.

In the SEC, you either put all your chips on hope with a Napier (or some other "up and comer," IF they will come), or you put your hope on an Elko or Stoops and hope they can win a few more with better talent/facilities/$$$$, IF they will come.

There are some "splash" wildcards out there like Kiffin or Day if they could be lured away and if they wanted to come. It's a lot of "if's" and it's only going to get harder with Texas and OU coming into the SEC.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
True. But they did have Parseghian, 95-17-4 with 2 natties, followed by Devine, 53-16-1 with one nattie, then a "meh" in coach Faust, then Holtz, winning 100-30-2 and a nattie. So at least for the years of 1964-1996 they basically did follow the successful coach succeeding successful coach trend. Time will tell about their current streak of Kelly at 113-40 followed by Freeman currently at 12-5.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Are we still pretending this isn’t the final stretch, absent a massive turn around this offseason and next year on the field? This a UF beat writer…

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are we still pretending this isn’t the final stretch, absent a massive turn around this offseason and next year on the field? This a UF beat writer…

WTF is going on with Strcknine’s head in the photo??!! Could explain a lot of his decisions. MFer looks like he came from the planet Talos IV in a Star Trek episode…

IMG_2205.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.