Coaching Staff Updates: Robinson named linebackers coach

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by gatyr, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,032
    Ratings:
    +6,987 / -223
    Skipper is gone

• EyeDocGator

EyeDocGator Politically Incorrect
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $522
      Ratings:
      +1,732 / -17
      As long as we still have Gilligan.

• jdh5484

jdh5484 Just Beat UGa
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,425
        Ratings:
        +3,033 / -36
        ... and MaryAnne.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,168
          Ratings:
          +8,339 / -40
          Well EyeDoc. no man is an island, but you just might need some peninsulation. :cool:

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,032
          Ratings:
          +6,987 / -223
          and her coconut cream pie, which if you're dyslexic could be read, cream her coconut and pie

• Durfish

Durfish A prostate the size of a honeydew...
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,391
            Ratings:
            +1,510 / -9
            Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) is the bomb. Still a hottie, and one of the nicest people out there.
            Dawn Wells.jpg

Tina Louise (Ginger), on the other hand, a bit scary...
            Tina Louise.jpg

• BMF

BMF Junior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $3,589
              Ratings:
              +9,028 / -93
              Honestly, I think we should be able to replicate most of what UGA is doing. Their AD is a freaking Foley-tree underling!

It seems the "60" number isn't necessarily all full-time UAA employees....as others have mentioned, they are interns and/or students.

We could recruit the UF business school for interns who are interested in sports management careers and have 10-20 interns at all times - you hire one full-time "Intern Coordinator" to manage them. Then you get student volunteers/assistants ("Gator Getter's" or whatever they were called)....and you have a full-time coordinator for that program. That's only 2 full-time jobs and you're getting another 20-40 (or more) volunteers/interns.

Where we need to beef up the staff is the recruiting department. It seems, after yesterday's hire of the JUCO coach, we have 3 full-time staff for our recruiting department. We probably need at least 6-10 (so 3 to 7 more hires?).

This shouldn't cost more than the $500K mentioned in the UGA article either....and that's chump change for the UAA (especially the way they pay buyouts for fired coaches).

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey THREE STAR U
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $11,068
                Ratings:
                +35,079 / -1,054
                there's no evidence that anyone in our athletic department has successfully undergone Cheap Ass Foley conversion therapy.

Even this 100 million-dollar renovations they're talking about mostly is going to to nonrevenue sports.

• Fishon

Fishon Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                $224
                Ratings:
                +783 / -15
                there's also
                I'm happy for you that you can continue to find things to b**** about. I was worried about you there for a bit

• BMF

BMF Junior Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,589
                  Ratings:
                  +9,028 / -93
                  There's also what?

• ItsDookie87

ItsDookie87 ...it's best to let him finish
                  Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                  $349
                  Ratings:
                  +559 / -16
                • Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
                  $1,838
                  Ratings:
                  +2,546 / -21
                  That’s a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing it.

I’m curious how these metrics look for Franklin’s tenure at Vandy.

Doing more with less is encouraging. But most often timing & fit are critical pieces as well. I’m hopeful Mullen is the right guy for this era at UF. This article is very short term - potential for top 15-20 given current talent. That is progress but won’t be satisfactory for long. Top 5 classes & top 10 results will get us in the mix where we have chances to win SECs and NCs. IF Mullen can recruit and coach to that level...

• Fishon

Fishon Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                    $224
                    Ratings:
                    +783 / -15
                    hmm, not sure how that happened. my bad!

• MADGator

MADGator This space intentionally left blank

Oxbucks:
                    $32
                    Ratings:
                    +520 / -1
                    Yes, thanks for this. It didn't give me the warm and fuzzies like that article about Kirby would have were I a Dwag fan, but it does provide hope and continue the feel-good that CDM is steadily building in his short time on the job. Having been burned with crappy coaching hires in the much too recent past though, I'll wish CDM all the best but he'll have to prove it to me on the field.

• Durfish

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,391
                      Ratings:
                      +1,510 / -9
                      Very interesting, particularly as an indicator of failure/likeliness for firing. The wider that recruiting/FPI gap gets, the closer the reaper gets. It's also solid analysis on the correlation of Mullen's accomplishments at MSU, though I'd like to see a comparison between him and his predecessors at MSU (compare apples to apples, so to speak).

I expect us to be back in a bowl game next year and to finish in the Top 25, likely with three losses (but perhaps with four).

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                        $1,071
                        Ratings:
                        +1,185 / -90
                        • BMF

BMF Junior Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $3,589
                          Ratings:
                          +9,028 / -93
                          It was a very good read. Usually teams that recruit well (or at least top 25-30) are "football schools". So if the fans see their coach bringing in top 20-30 classes there is an expectation to win. The Butch Jones difference is incredible. I'm curious what his FPI/Recruiting difference was at his previous two head coaching jobs.

As far as your last comment "likely three losses (but perhaps with four)" - I can see that scenario....but I can also see 5 or 6 losses.

To chalk up a win ON THE ROAD vs. Miss State is silly. Right now, as it stands today, MSU is a better team and a better program than we are.

To chalk up South Carolina as a win is silly as well. While many dismiss Muschamp as a fool, this is his annual "I WANT this win" game. He has a 2-year starting QB returning and finished w/ a big bowl win.

Missouri BLEW US THE F OUT and returns their All-SEC QB.

As the article mentions, UT has similar or more talent than we do. What kind of coach is Pruitt going to be? That's a road game for probable starting true freshman QB.

Kentucky's not rolling over for us. And even Colorado State, coached by former UGA QB Mike Bobo (who would love to win this game), went to a bowl game this year.

FSU is a road game.

I think we finish no better than 8-4. We don't even know who the starting QB is at this point (please God, don't let it be Franks!!).

• Durfish

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $1,391
                            Ratings:
                            +1,510 / -9
                            Agree for the most part. The only slam-dunk loss I see is UGA, though. Kentucky is in the Swamp and will be younger and without much depth along the OL and a bit younger on D, plus Stoops is the coach. Even though UT may be similar in talent level I think our RB stable and coaching will take care of them. I don't trust Orgeron to make good decisions and think we win that one at home. Mizzou and USCe are on our turf and by then we should see some plus-up from decent coaching along the lines, at QB, and in the secondary. I think we take care of both. And even though Francois should be back I just don't think the SOW coaching staff will be adequate and am thinking that game is a toss-up. Colorado State finished with 6 losses and lost their bowl game to Marshall, and just remember how most UGA fans felt about Bobo (not good).

So I think UGA along with 2 (possibly 3) out of UT, USCe, LSU, and SOW as losses next season. And I think all except UGA are win-able. I really don't see more than 5 losses, and 6 would be pretty disappointing.

• BMF

BMF Junior Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $3,589
                              Ratings:
                              +9,028 / -93
                              I can see that as well.....if we find a serviceable QB. You didn't mention Miss State. I was just reading Stewart Mandel's "Too Early Top 25" we play 4 of his Top 25, and USCe received an honorable mention....he has Miss State ranked 13th, ahead of Auburn at 15 (and no, we're not ranked).

https://theathletic.com/206571/2018/01/09/stewart-mandels-way-too-early-top-25-for-2018/

5. Georgia (13-2)
                              The Dawgs may take a step back in 2018 due to losing so many important seniors — RBs Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, LT Isaiah Wynn and LBs Lorenzo Carter and Davin Bellamy. All-American and Butkus Award-winning LB Roquan Smith will likely turn pro. But QB Jake Fromm returns (provided he keeps the job), as does speedy freshman RB D’Andre Swift. Pass-rusher D’Andre Walker and S J.R. Reed will key an otherwise young defense.

13. Mississippi State (9-4)
                              New coach Joe Moorhead could produce a powerful offense with QB Nick Fitzgerald, RB Aeris Williams and four starters from an O-line that allowed an SEC-low 13 sacks. The nation’s No. 1 juco receiver, Stephen Guidry, should play immediately. Nine defensive starters return led by DT Jeffrey Simmons, and former “Last Chance U” star Chauncey Rivers should become a starting defensive end.

19. LSU (9-4)
                              The Tigers should be strong on both the offensive and defensive lines. Whoever becomes their new offensive coordinator will be without star RB Derrius Guice and will need to develop rising sophomore QB Myles Brennan. Texas Tech transfer WR Jonathan Giles should have an immediate impact, as could former Red Raiders DE Breiden Fehoko. All-SEC LB Devin White returns after racking up 123 tackles.

25. Florida State (7-6)
                              Chances are the ’Noles will rebound quickly in Willie Taggart’s debut season. QB Deondre Francois returns after going down in the first game of 2017. RB Cam Akers ran for 1,024 yards as a true freshman and should excel in Taggart’s Gulf Coast Offense. The O-line needs to improve. Stars Derwin James and Josh Sweat turned pro, but the D-line should be strong with Brian Burns and Demarcus Christmas.

Just missed: Oklahoma State, USC, N.C. State, Memphis, South Carolina

• Durfish

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $1,391
                                Ratings:
                                +1,510 / -9
                                I'm not sold on Mandel's assessments of either LSU or SOW. LSU due to Ensminger hire (and Orgeron's inevitable buffoonery) and SOW because of the O-line and hits that Francois will likely receive.

MSU will be interesting. It's on the road, but we've taken much of their coaching staff so there'll be plenty of adjusting on their part as well. I think Top 15 is a bit generous for them at this time.

Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.