Coach's Dictionary

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thought it might be interesting/helpful to put together a Coach's Dictionary of terms, phrases, and other coaching tidbits, along with the definitions. Please add!

*Note* Several terms will fit under the Coach's Urban Dictionary! Not alphabetized.

ERW's - lit. "Eat, ride, and watch." Usually freshmen or other team members unable or otherwise unworthy of playing time. Typically used for carrying equipment. Can create problems when asking foolish questions at inopportune times (e.g. "Coach, can I go in now?!).

Squat - usually defensive terminology for a CB or S, who in coverage fails to drop (gain depth) with a man or in a zone and remains stationary in a beginning stance and position. Can also be a reference by the coach regarding said player's preferred method of urinating.

High as a Camel C0ck - descriptor of an interior lineman's high pad level (see UF OL).

Roller Skates - what a DL is said to be riding on when he/she allows an OL to get under his/her pads and gets driven several yards backward.

Gash - what happens to a defense when a RB repeatedly gets into the second and third levels and amasses large yardage totals; the reproductive organs of said defense.

Wind Watch/Scratch @ss - refers to activities of QB in the pocket, along with reading progressions and passing the football, when playing behind a proficient OL (stricken from UF Coaching Dictionary 8 years ago; not re-inserted).

Six Inch Step - the first step of an OL in the execution of a run block to avoid over-extension and loss of leverage/balance.

Ole - execution of block whereby the OL allows the defender to rush by mostly untouched to destroy the QB. Usually unintentional, but due poor effort, lack of athleticism. Can be intentional in cases where the QB is a prick.

Nut Up - failure to perform assigned responsibility during the course of a play or plays due to poor effort and/or cowardice (e.g. missed tackle or block, running out of bounds prior to contact to exclude QB's or light-@ss receivers, failing to back up loud talk, etc.). *Note* term was used just opposite and incorrectly as praise by Urban Meyer (drove author crazy).

Pot Bellys - coaching term of affection for high-performing OL with ectomorphic body types.

Hybrid - referring to a player in between positions (built like a S but trying him at LB; player often turns out to be not worth a damn).

Coach Killer - player who is a nice kid or booster's son, but is not quite good enough to proficiently play his position; remains in the starting lineup despite inability.

*Just a beginning. More to come.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oskie.............
Somehow double posted. Adding to real thread. "Oskie" is a great defensive term to indicate a turnover/sudden change!

Deleting duplicate.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Peter, Peter, Peter...
Get away and for heaven's sake don't touch!
We used to have a special teams call termed "Silly Rabbit" to alert of a possible fake.

*Silly Rabbit...Tricks are for kids!*

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Slightly off topic. Two coach-speak/player-speak terms that are beginning to grate on me...overcome adversity and play at a high level.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Go Go Go - used when the ball carrier on offense is in the open field on a breakaway.

No, the Other Way - used when the ball carrier is running toward the wrong end zone.

Get the Flag - used when playing defense. And the ball carrier is right in front of you.

We Had Fun - used in a loss but to assure positive reinforcement for shîtty play.

These are regularly used by my current coaching staff.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Coach Killer - player who is a nice kid or booster's son, but is not quite good enough to proficiently play his position; remains in the starting lineup despite inability.
parents.......parents with influence..........I've seen it happen over and over again............
off and on ......off and on.........mostly in the watermelon or hay field..........
best line i EVER heard was this one on the practice field
"Wigglesworth (that was his real name) if that was a block I will kiss you assss on the courthouse square and give you ten minutes to draw a crowd............I think coach Hudson said it.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A few more...

Prevent/Umbrella - coverage scheme usually rushing three and dropping eight (LBs/DBs). Usually employed late in a game to prevent a long strike and/or quick score. Employed too soon, it often results in loss of lead and ballgame (e.g. Spurrier allowed his DC to call the Prevent too early in the "Choke at Doak" that resulted in a 31-31 tie where F$U came back from being down by a large margin in the second half; in the post-game presser, Spurrier responded to a question that yes, the defense they utilized was the Prevent and it did just that...it prevented us from winning!).

LOS - line of scrimmage.

POA - point of attack.

Scrape - term for lateral pursuit by LBs that requires them to keep their shoulders square to the LOS. Also allows them to keep a broader field of vision.

Contain - defensive term usually referring to an outside rush whereby the player, usually a DE or LB, keeps an angle that prevents the QB from getting outside of the pocket to extend the pass play or rush for positive gain.

Sh!t Disturber - usually a non-talented player who, with idle time during practice or a game, engages in negative or excessive verbal discourse with teammates, opponents, and coaches with the intent of "getting some sh!t started." Some coaches can fall under this descriptor as well.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Go Go Go - used when the ball carrier on offense is in the open field on a breakaway.

No, the Other Way - used when the ball carrier is running toward the wrong end zone.

Get the Flag - used when playing defense. And the ball carrier is right in front of you.

We Had Fun - used in a loss but to assure positive reinforcement for shîtty play. :)

These are regularly used by our current coaching staff.
Fify!

Some good ones, NV

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
parents.......parents with influence..........I've seen it happen over and over again............
off and on ......off and on.........mostly in the watermelon or hay field..........
best line i EVER heard was this one on the practice field
"Wigglesworth (that was his real name) if that was a block I will kiss you assss on the courthouse square and give you ten minutes to draw a crowd............I think coach Hudson said it.
:)

There were some Wigglesworths in Monticello that I played against back in the mid 70's. I thought the name peculiar myself at the time!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nut Up- failure to perform assigned responsibility during the course of a play or plays due to poor effort and/or cowardice (e.g. missed tackle or block, running out of bounds prior to contact to exclude QB's or light-@ss receivers, failing to back up loud talk, etc.). *Note* term was used just opposite and incorrectly as praise by Urban Meyer (drove author crazy).

I think you meant Nuss Up

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What? No "mid-line" in that list?
Since you asked...

Midline - QB give/keep option, typically from I-formation with FB diving A gap (inside Veer). QB read playside Guard's block based on DT alignment. If DT is in 3 technique (outside eye), Guard chips and rises to ILB and the read is "give." If the DT alignment is 1 or 2 technique (inside eye and head up, respectively), the Guard chips and rises again to the ILB as the FB posts (similar to an OL double team). The read is "pull" and the QB dives B gap (tight off the Guard's hip at first alignment).

*Great HS, service academy, or Wildcat play. Not something I would employ with my pro-style QB*

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Since you asked...

Midline - QB give/keep option, typically from I-formation with FB diving A gap (inside Veer). QB read playside Guard's block based on DT alignment. If DT is in 3 technique (outside eye), Guard chips and rises to ILB and the read is "give." If the DT alignment is 1 or 2 technique (inside eye and head up, respectively), the Guard chips and rises again to the ILB as the FB posts (similar to an OL double team). The read is "pull" and the QB dives B gap (tight off the Guard's hip at first alignment).

*Great HS, service academy, or Wildcat play. Not something I would employ with my pro-style QB*

That isn't nearly as impressive as I imagined. Fk Muschamp!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That isn't nearly as impressive as I imagined. Fk Muschamp!
No, pretty basic and better IMO at lower levels of football. If I were still coaching or were to go back to HS and I had a quick, athletic QB who was no worse than trainable mentally handicapped, it'd be in the play book. It is an easy read for such a QB. Guard is a big key. Georgia Tech uses this play with effectiveness with their Wingbone.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Coffin Corner

The corners of the field near the end zone. Punting to the coffin corner to pin the other team deep in its own territiory has become somewhat of a lost art although you still see a variation which is a poosh kick.

You don't hear the term much anymore but I always thought it was a cool term particularly in games in the fall around Halloween time.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coffin Corner

The corners of the field near the end zone. Punting to the coffin corner to pin the other team deep in its own territiory has become somewhat of a lost art although you still see a variation which is a poosh kick.

You don't hear the term much anymore but I always thought it was a cool term particularly in games in the fall around Halloween time.
Excellent, Joe. Truly a lost art. And executed properly, it not only pins the opponents deep, but usually negates any chance for a return.

When I first started my coaching 28 years ago, the kid I had as my first middle school QB wound up punting for the varsity his last two years. He was the best coffin corner punter I'd ever been around (I had moved up to the varsity staff by that time). He could routinely put it inside the five. His leg wasn't the strongest (he'd get off a 40 yarder about a third of the time, but we had virtually no punt return yardage against us. He had really good hang time on normal punts and we covered well. Punt Cover was a pride unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.