Coach's Dictionary

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, pretty basic and better IMO at lower levels of football. If I were still coaching or were to go back to HS and I had a quick, athletic QB who was no worse than trainable mentally handicapped, it'd be in the play book. It is an easy read for such a QB. Guard is a big key. Georgia Tech uses this play with effectiveness with their Wingbone.
Still a centerpiece of Bob Davie/Urban Creyer/Dan Mullet offense. Just a middle school/ 1950s veer and single wing without the TEs (in a spread formation).

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Robber Technique - utilizing the safety in a zone (Cover 2 :proud:) or Man Free (1 High) coverage as a spy on a QB who is a threat to run. The safety in both cases reads the QB after the snap and when certain of a run will move upfield in run defense. Keys are based on scouting reports of alignments and tendencies.

We used this mostly in Cover 2 with our SS playing Robber against mobile QB's. There were more of them back then in HS; however, we seem to see more dual threat guys at all levels nowadays. The ones that are good in the passing game can put the Robber in a bind with a good play action game. Years ago, you'd get a lot of Robber being played against the option teams. A play designed that hurt this technique was a pass off of the triple option that had the QB pull at the FB mesh and then abruptly belly his track and throw to the WR, who usually ran a post. Hard to cover when the QB might have burned them on the keep earlier in the game.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Still a centerpiece of Bob Davie/Urban Creyer/Dan Mullet offense. Just a middle school/ 1950s veer and single wing without the TEs (in a spread formation).
Counselor, you might be a lot of things to a lot people on this board, but you ain't no one-trick pony ;)

Appreciate your football acumen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Counselor, you might be a lot of things to a lot people on this board, but you ain't no one-trick pony ;)

Appreciate your football acumen.
51BZXwCc0LL._SX260_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator