Column: Hey Gators fans, you would be lucky to have Del Rio as your starting QB

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but the saddest part of this article is this. We haven't had a quarterback to have a better game than the game he had against Kentucky since Grossman. Let that fcking sink in.

That doesn't mean much in reality as I think he was left in about the whole game and KY was giving up a ton of yards and points to teams around that time. We were around the same as New Mexico State and Southern Miss scoring a ton on them. We always ran for a lot of yards when Tebow was here.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sorry, but the saddest part of this article is this. We haven't had a quarterback to have a better game than the game he had against Kentucky since Grossman. Let that fcking sink in.

You're not far off, and it is sad that we have to hold that game up as some benchmark now. But Leak had a few games in 2004(Ark for sure) that were better. Tebow, despite doing a lot of damage with his legs, had a few. And I'd argue based on the strength of opponent that Grier's game against Ole Miss was just as good or better.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How am I supposed to take an article seriously when the guy who writes it uses "Matt's What She Said" in his byline. Way to act like a professional journalist jacka$$.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Except it isn't even true. Tebow threw for 482 yards against Cincinnati in the Sugar bowl for a school record.

When was Cincinnati an SEC school? Read the entire statement.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When was Cincinnati an SEC school? Read the entire statement.

Here's your statement: "Sorry, but the saddest part of this article is this. We haven't had a quarterback to have a better game than the game he had against Kentucky since Grossman."

You never said against the SEC; however, I admit that I didn't read the kid's article because the premise is crap.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We all want the same thing in here. IMPROVED QB play. I dont care if the walk on center runs out there as LONG as it gets better.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're not far off, and it is sad that we have to hold that game up as some benchmark now. But Leak had a few games in 2004(Ark for sure) that were better. Tebow, despite doing a lot of damage with his legs, had a few. And I'd argue based on the strength of opponent that Grier's game against Ole Miss was just as good or better.

Look at the drive summaries against Ole Miss (108th ranked pass defense), take away Powell's 77 yard reception (3 plays 81 yard drive). You only have 3 drives over 30 yards, 5 plays 61 yards, 13 plays 91 yards, and 7 plays 37 yards. Nine other drives were we were either in positive yards (due to Defense, and still barely moved the ball) or punted barely moving the ball. Nuttlicker was still the OC in that game, look at the play by play and drive summary you can see it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's your statement: "Sorry, but the saddest part of this article is this. We haven't had a quarterback to have a better game than the game he had against Kentucky since Grossman."

You never said against the SEC; however, I admit that I didn't read the kid's article because the premise is crap.

Or the quote I was referencing which was in my post.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Look at the drive summaries against Ole Miss (108th ranked pass defense), take away Powell's 77 yard reception (3 plays 81 yard drive). You only have 3 drives over 30 yards, 5 plays 61 yards, 13 plays 91 yards, and 7 plays 37 yards. Nine other drives were we were either in positive yards (due to Defense, and still barely moved the ball) or punted barely moving the ball. Nuttlicker was still the OC in that game, look at the play by play and drive summary you can see it.
Much of the UK game under LDR was the same. Outside of two good passes, one to Callaway which was great, and the other to Swain which was a gimme because he was wide open, LDR didn't do much, they were almost all LOS passes, or not moving the ball much at all. LDR gets credit for those two passes, but not much else.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Much of the UK game under LDR was the same. Outside of two good passes, one to Callaway which was great, and the other to Swain which was a gimme because he was wide open, LDR didn't do much, they were almost all LOS passes, or not moving the ball much at all. LDR gets credit for those two passes, but not much else.

Not saying LDR did much, which is the point. It's sad that this is the game we are looking for as the statistically best in 15 years against SEC competition. It's pathetic from what we were in the 1990's and early 2000s.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We've also had a couple national titles sprinkled in there, so I think huge passing games are a tad overrated.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not saying LDR did much, which is the point. It's sad that this is the game we are looking for as the statistically best in 15 years against SEC competition. It's pathetic from what we were in the 1990's and early 2000s.
I think it depends on how you define statistically though. The game was a little different under Tebow, and several times he was very close to those numbers, and went over those numbers if you add in what he did with his legs. Outside of him though, I agree.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it depends on how you define statistically though. The game was a little different under Tebow, and several times he was very close to those numbers, and went over those numbers if you add in what he did with his legs. Outside of him though, I agree.

Not discounting the legs on Tebow, but other than when Tebow was here and we were a spread Option offense. 15 years is 15 years. We have had the talent in some of those years and the East has been down, to surpass what LDR did. It's pretty fcking sad.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've also had a couple national titles sprinkled in there, so I think huge passing games are a tad overrated.

So we haven't had the talent and the other teams haven't been down enough to have a big passing game? In 15 years? We aren't talking a 400 yard passing game either.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So we haven't had the talent and the other teams haven't been down enough to have a big passing game? In 15 years? We aren't talking a 400 yard passing game either.

I think that is just one of those strange stats due to us running so much when Tebow was here and being so screwed up at the QB position since 2010. Heck KY gave up 500 yards plus offense to New Mexico State and Southern Miss so 320 passing against them by UF isn't anything special. Bama threw for about the same on them with Hurts and a backup.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think that is just one of those strange stats due to us running so much when Tebow was here and being so screwed up at the QB position since 2010. Heck KY gave up 500 yards plus offense to New Mexico State and Southern Miss so 320 passing against them by UF isn't anything special. Bama threw for about the same on them with Hurts and a backup.

I don't think running up 320 on last years Kentucky is that impressive... which is the problem. Due to our OC's and the lack of talent we haven't been able to have a better statistical game than that in the last 15. The problem isn't one coach, one OC, it systematic of the organization. Spurrier had games with 300 rushing and 320+ passing yards against SEC opponents.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As a starter in 2016, Del Rio had a 5-1 record. I’m no mathematician, but that means the Gators were 4-3 without him. The one loss staining his record — a 31-10 drubbing in Arkansas — wasn’t his fault. And that’s not me saying that, that’s the internal monologue of Jim McElwain.

I would take issue with that against Arky. He threw that pick six in deep territory of UF's first drive. That set the tone and the air went out of the sails after that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Except it isn't even true. Tebow threw for 482 yards against Cincinnati in the Sugar bowl for a school record.
Ive learned that one of the prime rules of Turd Polishing which has been in place since Foley's Failure 2.0, enacted in 2012, is that games played in December or January DONT COUNT.

Now understand that Im not an official Turd Polisher, but I believe that to be the rule.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would take issue with that against Arky. He threw that pick six in deep territory of UF's first drive. That set the tone and the air went out of the sails after that.
Setting the tone and air in the sails has nothing to do with giving up 466 yards to Arkansas.

Not having enough ass up the middle does.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
In a tight game 3rd and long, you have to have it and the receivers are fairly well covered, who of the top 3 QB's has the talent to rocket the ball 20+ yards into that extremely tight window? I personally don't think it's LDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.