Cutting the Cord

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Don’t laugh or yell at me too hard, I have reasons for being late to this issue, but I’m looking at dropping Dish Network and picking up a streaming service like YouTubeTV, Hulu or Fubo.

In terms of channels, YouTube comes closest to carrying the ones we watch, and I doubt we’d miss most. It looks like they all carry SECn. I’d like to get Bally Regional Sports (which Fubo carries) to get the Rays and Lightning, but that is available as a separate subscription. YouTub+ Bally is cheaper than Fubo with Bally.

In terms of interface and usability, which do you like and why!?

What else should I consider?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hulu Live and YouTube TV are very similar in terms of what they offer.

This is a good place to keep up with some of this stuff too.

I have hulu live bundled with Disney+ and ESPN +.
But we find we don't watch as much live TV anymore except sports, Gator sports mostly and maybe the Bucs.
So I'm considering dropping Live TV and just doing the regular HULU bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ and getting an OTA antenna for the locals when football is on those channels.

Most of what we watch is on other streaming services and is on demand.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Don’t laugh or yell at me too hard, I have reasons for being late to this issue, but I’m looking at dropping Dish Network and picking up a streaming service like YouTubeTV, Hulu or Fubo.

In terms of channels, YouTube comes closest to carrying the ones we watch, and I doubt we’d miss most. It looks like they all carry SECn. I’d like to get Bally Regional Sports (which Fubo carries) to get the Rays and Lightning, but that is available as a separate subscription. YouTub+ Bally is cheaper than Fubo with Bally.

In terms of interface and usability, which do you like and why!?

What else should I consider?
Good move. You will save a lot of money. My friend just did it because a contractor literally cut the DirectTV cord for her. She went with YouTube and loves it. We have Hulu.

How old are your TVs? Are they smart? If not, do you have an any game consoles or an Apple TV device?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Good move. You will save a lot of money. My friend just did it because a contractor literally cut the DirectTV cord for her. She went with YouTube and loves it. We have Hulu.

How old are your TVs? Are they smart? If not, do you have an any game consoles or an Apple TV device?
Our family room TV runs Roku. I bought a Roku device for our bedroom TV. I will replace that TV with a Roku based one just to keep it consistent for Mrs. Theo.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hulu Live and YouTube TV are very similar in terms of what they offer.

This is a good place to keep up with some of this stuff too.

I have hulu live bundled with Disney+ and ESPN +.
But we find we don't watch as much live TV anymore except sports, Gator sports mostly and maybe the Bucs.
So I'm considering dropping Live TV and just doing the regular HULU bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ and getting an OTA antenna for the locals when football is on those channels.

Most of what we watch is on other streaming services and is on demand.
We are the same. All we watch on the Dish channels is sports and local news. We occasionally DVR some series like Better Call Saul. We can’t currently watch the Rays or Lightning. I’ll save $60/month so adding Bally Sports at $20/month feels doable, yet a ripoff as well.

We have an indoor OTA antenna for emergencies and carrier contract fights, but we are in Lake Wales so it’s too far to rely on it. Plus I like pausing & rewinding my own replays. So we will definitely have a general TV provider.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Our family room TV runs Roku. I bought a Roku device for our bedroom TV. I will replace that TV with a Roku based one just to keep it consistent for Mrs. Theo.
We have one Roku tv in the kitchen and it works basically the same as our smart Samsung. If that’s what your wife is used to, stick with it for continuity. I’d suggest using the free trial or buying a month subscription to test it out. The hardest part about not going cold Turkey is forcing yourself to use it. In a month you will ask why you didn’t do it sooner.

Are local channels important to you? Roku should have support for some local channels but if not you could need a good basic antenna.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Don’t forget the Amazon prime streaming services if you are a prime member. It’s a good backup source for shows to Hulu.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Don’t forget the Amazon prime streaming services if you are a prime member. It’s a good backup source for shows to Hulu.
We have and use Prime, HBO, Disney plus we share around with our family, and get Netflix and Hulu free from them.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Had both Dish and DIrectv. Dish is cheaper with better equipment imho. They have the same channels. All Direct had going for it was the NFL package, which it lost.
He's already got Dish. I don't think he wants to keep it.
Yes - we do have Dish. I will look at DirectTV’s streaming service, but like Dish’s Sling it isn’t a highly rated as YouTube or Hulu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator