Cutting the Cord

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
By the time you add up the cable, the Roku, the Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Epix, etc. you don't save much versus paying for cable with premium channels.

My wife works from home, so high speed WWW access is a must.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By the time you add up the cable, the Roku, the Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Epix, etc. you don't save much versus paying for cable with premium channels.

My wife works from home, so high speed WWW access is a must.
I disagree but only once one leaves the promotional period, non-promotional costs for cable (and almost always internet/cable package) are astronomical.
Prime is also a different animal though. Prime video is simply a byproduct of something else people are paying for and not someone everyone goes for.

I pay for internet through Spectrum, then have Hulu Live, Disney+, ESPN+, Netflix, Apple TV, Paramount+, HBO Max and we still pay less, with a lot more content available quickly. It's only more when you include Prime Video, but again that isn't why you have Amazon Prime, it's just a bonus....and we'd be paying for Amazon Prime whether we had cable or streamed tv.

Also, the bigger cell phone carriers often offer one or two of these services for free included with your service. We don't pay for Apple TV, it's included, however even if we were we'd still be about $30-40 less than we were with cable.

Last edited:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
So, you folks that have Hulu, Disney, Roku etc., multiple sources to watch tv, how much do you pay per month for all of that?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Streaming saves us about 500-700 per year. Used to have Dish Network. Used to have Direct TV. Used to have Comcast cable TV. Tried them all. As long as you have good internet, stream away is my advice. You can always go back to your legacy service (likely at a better price). Roku's devices are super cheap (that's the streaming hardware that connects to any TV for $50 one time cost). Roku has lots of free programming as well. Apple TV device (pricey) or Amazon fire sticks (super cheap) can stream all the services as well. So can most Smart TV's (have streaming built in to the TV). The only place that Streaming really hurts you is when you want to watch live sports on regular TV channels. A $35 dollar digital TV antenna from Walmart will get you super clear HD TV for free. We all mostly forgot about free over-the-airwaves TV.

Streaming tip: Only subscribe to two or three services at a time. Each service has 1000's of movies and shows. Switch between them often. There's no contract obligation beyond month-to-month.

Streaming negative: you will miss ESPN. There is no good way to acquire ESPN programming without paying through the nose (youtube.tv or Fubo.tv). Fuch commie ESPN. They get nothing.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Streaming saves us about 500-700 per year. Used to have Dish Network. Used to have Direct TV. Used to have Comcast cable TV. Tried them all. As long as you have good internet, stream away is my advice. You can always go back to your legacy service (likely at a better price). Roku's devices are super cheap (that's the streaming hardware that connects to any TV for $50 one time cost). Roku has lots of free programming as well. Apple TV device (pricey) or Amazon fire sticks (super cheap) can stream all the services as well. So can most Smart TV's (have streaming built in to the TV). The only place that Streaming really hurts you is when you want to watch live sports on regular TV channels. A $35 dollar digital TV antenna from Walmart will get you super clear HD TV for free. We all mostly forgot about free over-the-airwaves TV.

Streaming tip: Only subscribe to two or three services at a time. Each service has 1000's of movies and shows. Switch between them often. There's no contract obligation beyond month-to-month.

Streaming negative: you will miss ESPN. There is no good way to acquire ESPN programming without paying through the nose (youtube.tv or Fubo.tv). Fuch commie ESPN. They get nothing.
Weird. ESPN+ solves that for me :lol:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

I get ESPN on Hulu.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I get ESPN on Hulu.
The only thing I don't know and need to find out is if I drop HULU Live but keep the Regular hulu/disney+/ESPN+, if it will maintain full access to ESPN+
I think it does but not sure

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
The only thing I don't know and need to find out is if I drop HULU Live but keep the Regular hulu/disney+/ESPN+, if it will maintain full access to ESPN+
I think it does but not sure
ESPN+ subscription alone doesn't give you access to their regular programing. I found out the hard way just this season. Signed up for a month only to find out regular ESPN not included without other subs.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ESPN+ subscription alone doesn't give you access to their regular programing. I found out the hard way just this season. Signed up for a month only to find out regular ESPN not included without other subs.
So currently I have it as part of the HULU Live/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle. Which is $81 a month because we added a $7.99 additional package for it to have certain channels the wife wanted.

What I don't know is if I drop down to the regular Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle, which would be about $60 cheaper, if I'd lose viewing the live ESPN channels, which would defeat the entire purpose of ESPN+ and make it a worthless app.

I'll have to look into it on their site

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
So currently I have it as part of the HULU Live/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle. Which is $81 a month because we added a $7.99 additional package for it to have certain channels the wife wanted.

What I don't know is if I drop down to the regular Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle, which would be about $60 cheaper, if I'd lose viewing the live ESPN channels, which would defeat the entire purpose of ESPN+ and make it a worthless app.

I'll have to look into it on their site
URG - don't be dense. That's what I'm telling you specifically. That $60/mn cheaper is because of all the fees the networks and ESPN demand for live sports. When you drop Hulu Live, you will lose ESPN regular programming. Don't worry though ESPN+ still has Women's weightlifting and Jim Rome 360.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URG - don't be dense. That's what I'm telling you specifically. That $60/mn cheaper is because of all the fees the networks and ESPN demand for live sports. When you drop Hulu Live, you will lose ESPN regular programming. Don't worry though ESPN+ still has Women's weightlifting and Jim Rome 360.
No dude, through EPSN+ you can watch the channels, like literally select them by name. It's not right at the top but it's in there.

And the 19.99 Trio plan looks like it still covers live sports.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is what it says for the $19.99 trip package
Screenshot_20230316_205605_Chrome.jpg

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok I did find something on tvguide.com article that suggested that without HULU Live you wouldn't get ESPNthrough the ESPN app.

They are really missing the boat on that.
They could charge a little more and allow it and it would become the staple bundle everyone has no question.

Guess I'm stuck :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.