Gator Baseball CWS: Gators vs Texas Tech - time for some revenge

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Very interested to see if there will be any lineup changes for this game.

Will Dyson see the mound?

Hopefully no weather delays....

Go Gators!

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Let's Go Gators!

Payback time!

Factoid: My wife works for the same company as Andrew Baker's mother. Wifie just found out last Friday when she wore a Gator shirt to work and Andrew's mom mentioned her son playing for the Gators. Unfortunately Andrew's mom is a Tider, except for baseball.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I hate to think of a game as payback b/c that is not where I believe the focus should be. but if it makes them play better/smarter then so be it. As a few have mentioned this team has played below average for 25 games or so now and the main focus to me should be playing better fundamental baseball. Move runners along by SAC bunt or hitting the other way, don't run your self into outs, etc. It might be time to move JJ back to catcher. It will not change that spot defensively noticeably, but Girand can't handle hitting top level pitching. He is a K 95% of the time and he has only shown that he can hit HR's off of little league pitchers.

As far as pitching goes, I see no way Dyson sees the mound in this game. he has not pitched in 2 months and regardless of what they say he looks like throwing bullpen sessions, obviously Sully does not trust him. If we get deeper into the tourney Dyson may have to pitch out of necessity. But Sully is only going to pitch 2 guys out of the pen if it matters and that is Butler and Byrne. I am counting Leftwich and Mace as co-starters. He won;t even use Baker or Hunter McMullen.

Just when this one game and then we can speculate on how the pitching might take shape, but that will not matter unless you win this game.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Texas Tech has a great hitting lineup from top to bottom. I agree that Leftwich, Mace & Butler will probably be the 3 first pitchers used tonight. All have pitched really well at times, while sometimes they miss their spots and give up big hits. They've pitched in big situations numerous times this year, so the moment shouldn't be too big for them. It's just a questions of whether or not they can execute their pitches over & over. I, also, agree that it's time to bench Girand. Bell is by far our best defensive 1st baseman. Would like to see JJ behind the plate as well and not sure if Sully is protecting him or whether it's advice from the medical staff or his family, or if JJ himself says he's not ready to go back there. Pretty sure we're going to have to score a bunch of runs to win though.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
TT's pitching staff should be scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

IF we can hit, I think we match up pretty well for a win tonight, because I think what's left of our pitching staff is far superior to what they have left.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
I hope they play a clean game. They certainly aren't playing quite as well or as clean as last year. But they can win this game against Texas Tech and move on. Good luck to the Gator guys.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well 3 innings in and no score I am not sure how to feel. We have swung at balls out of the zone and TTech has not swung at a pitch out of the zone yet. Leftwich gets outs when he throws strikes but he is struggling throwing strikes. Reese lets a routine grounder go under his glove against a slow runner and Dalton basically makes 2 errors on the same play, yet they throw the runner out at 2nd base b/c of those 2 miscues by Dalton. So i guess we should feel good that we are not behind in this game. I expect Mace to come in sooner rather than later as Leftwich has a high pitch count through 3 innings.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The dude that literally swung so hard on a fan that he fell on his ass on home plate was hilarious! :lmao:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Baseball is such a weird game at this level. We score once in the 4th without touching the ball with a walk, 2 wild pitches and a stolen base. In the bottom of the 4th, b/c Smith can't hold onto a swinging 3rd strike foul tip, the batter bloops one into LF that Langworthy makes a diving catch on to double off the runner at 2nd to end the threat. We actually hit 3 balls on the ground (finally) in the 5th and have plated 2 runs to take a 3-0 lead as we still bat in the 5th.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Gators take 5-0 lead in 6th as JJ hits 2 run homer after a Dalton single. JJ uses the wind to his advantage by hitting a very high fly that probably only he is strong enough to get it that high for the wind to help him. Excellent use of the conditions by JJ. Now we just need to keep throwing strikes and let the chips fall where they may.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Up 5-0 after 6. Leftwich over 90 pitches and probably done but what a comeback by him after being at 50+pitches after 2 innings and looked like he was done. Leftwich does not always locate the ball well, but even tho he may give up solid contact he seems to get outs when he throws strikes. Nice comeback for the young man and a huge positive for the team to be able to get thru 6 innings!!!!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I sat down to watch the game to see Leftwich load the bases & narrowly escape the 2nd with 53(?) pitches thrown. Have to admit I expected him to get pulled.

Sully stuck with him & now he’s having a great game. What a great coach.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well as the last 1/3 of the season has played out, we can't play solid baseball when it matters most. \Hhorvath overuns a ball in CF, a tough play but one he normally makes. Baker comes in and walks the 1st guy he faces with a 5 run lead to load the bases. then a bloop single scores one. Then Mace gives a up a single to right on a good pitch. Then Liput boots a easy play to him that would have been a force out. We should be out of the inning but Ttech still has bases loaded and 1 out. Can't stand prosperity.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well not sure we can say Butler put out the fire LOL but he struck out a guy on clearly ball 4 and got the 3rd out on a screaming line drive to RF after falling behind 3-0 with bases loaded. I just can't understand why these guys can't throw strikes with a big lead. they have been pitching all season. Sans Mace, he did throw strikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.