Dan Mullen @ Florida...So Far....

Dekle

Nov 27, 2017
Look, l generally like what Mullen has done. And looking at Frost and Kelly now, hindsight 20/20, he was the correct hire. But until he upgrades the staff, improves recruiting, and beats Georgia, meh.

Obviously, I'm still pissed over the way we looked against a beatable Georgia team
I agree with that, especially the recruiting side. Until UF gets some talent and depth across the lines of scrimmage, they will never be a consistent NC team...IMO. Still a good article and I think Mullen was the right hire. No doubt he loves being a Gator.

Dekle

Nov 27, 2017
We actually don't know. I wish we could get the players so we could find out. Without facilities and staff upgrades I am afraid we never find out.
Facilities for sure. The UAA putting off building the stand alone football complex was a huge brain fart. Uf is way behind in facilities compared to other Power 5 schools. Once completed, Gators will have the most up-to-date facilities in the country. That alone will help recruiting.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This might not be a popular post but I'm not sure Dan and this current staff would be getting a top 5 class even with better facilities. He's a good coach. He'll get you those 9 and 10 win seasons. Is he going to win the SEC? Not anytime soon. Are you ok with being very good but not playoff caliber?
We have to learn to be OK with it...for now. He’s providing much needed stability at a crucial time in our history. Let’s get the facilities done and then search for our next NC caliber coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

hence the last line of my post, which obviously you didn't quote, and may not have read.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This might not be a popular post but I'm not sure Dan and this current staff would be getting a top 5 class even with better facilities. He's a good coach. He'll get you those 9 and 10 win seasons. Is he going to win the SEC? Not anytime soon. Are you ok with being very good but not playoff caliber?

Any UF coach with this schedule should get you 9/10 wins. That's the sad part.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with that, especially the recruiting side. Until UF gets some talent and depth across the lines of scrimmage, they will never be a consistent NC team...IMO. Still a good article and I think Mullen was the right hire. No doubt he loves being a Gator.

So who's fault is it we got one DT in the last two classes? Whose job it is to better than a top 10 (17 after defections) in their bump class? And at $6 Million a year (1.5 Million raise from Starkvegas) he would have been happy as a Vol, a Leghumper, or a seminhole.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We have to learn to be OK with it...for now. He’s providing much needed stability at a crucial time in our history. Let’s get the facilities done and then search for our next NC caliber coach.
Thats it. Mullen brings stability. When he's fired 2-3 years from now we should at least have a full roster and 3.5 star depth. The next guy won't be left with the cupboard bare. And he'll have ... supposedly.. new facilities.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They know that Kirby doesn't have half the Xs and Os that Mullen has. .

I keep reading this, but Kirby out X'd & O'd the sh*t out of Mullen in both games we've played them. I keep hearing how awful UGA's OC's have been (last year's and the new one this year), but I saw an OC who out X'd & O'd our staff by a mile. I said this in a rant after the UGA game this year, but the 'unoutcoachable' Dan Mullen got outcoached by Kirby, again. That game was ugly, just like last year's game....and it wasn't just the talent. Kirby does make some coaching blunders, and I think Mullen has a long enough track record to say he's a good play caller and puts together some good game plans (LSU 2018 and MSU 2018), but he's made a few blunders along the way too. We've seen some head scratchers from Mullen too - the 4th quarter Miami INT Franks threw on 1st down w/ 3 minutes left takes the cake. Anyhow, this myth that Mullen will outcoach Kirby so far is 0 for 2.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I just posted something along these same lines. The "Kirby can't coach" myth so far is 0-2 vs. the unoutcoachable Dan Mullen's UF teams. And talent had little to do w/ the execution of each coach's game plan. I'm still trying to figure out how their "shtty" OC's got Nauta and Cager so wide open two years in a row....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I keep reading this, but Kirby out X'd & O'd the sh*t out of Mullen in both games we've played them. I keep hearing how awful UGA's OC's have been (last year's and the new one this year), but I saw an OC who out X'd & O'd our staff by a mile. I said this in a rant after the UGA game this year, but the 'unoutcoachable' Dan Mullen got outcoached by Kirby, again. That game was ugly, just like last year's game....and it wasn't just the talent. Kirby does make some coaching blunders, and I think Mullen has a long enough track record to say he's a good play caller and puts together some good game plans (LSU 2018 and MSU 2018), but he's made a few blunders along the way too. We've seen some head scratchers from Mullen too - the 4th quarter Miami INT Franks threw on 1st down w/ 3 minutes left takes the cake. Anyhow, this myth that Mullen will outcoach Kirby so far is 0 for 2.

BMF, I think Mullen is much better than Kirby (which isn't saying much). I view Kirby as a better version of Muschamp. I think the fact the Mullen might be the second or third best X's and O's coach in the conference.... which says more about the state of coaching in the conference than Mullen. The comment is more that I think Kirby (who as a head coach is starting to see his flaws) as an Xs and O's guy he isn't great. Mullen is average to above average. The rest of the SEC is pretty garbage coaching wise.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BMF, I think Mullen is much better than Kirby (which isn't saying much). I view Kirby as a better version of Muschamp. I think the fact the Mullen might be the second or third best X's and O's coach in the conference.... which says more about the state of coaching in the conference than Mullen. The comment is more that I think Kirby (who as a head coach is starting to see his flaws) as an Xs and O's guy he isn't great. Mullen is average to above average. The rest of the SEC is pretty garbage coaching wise.

That might be true, but in both games Kirby out schemed/outcoached Mullen. Sure, there's a big talent discrepancy but those two games came down to X's & O's and UGA was more prepared than we were. And that's on Mullen.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That might be true, but in both games Kirby out schemed/outcoached Mullen. Sure, there's a big talent discrepancy but those two games came down to X's & O's and UGA was more prepared than we were. And that's on Mullen.

I would think the first game was talent, the second game as I put in the initial message which was responded to. That we looked underprepared and outcoached which is squarely on Mullen and the staff.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Did it? UGA’s line of scrimmage in both games on both sides of the ball were far superior to ours. The talent isn’t even comparable. As our biggest recruiting guy, I would think you could look at the extreme difference in talent and wonder how we were still in it this year - especially if we were outschemed and coached, as you say. And don’t give me this crap that we weren’t in it - that’s blatant BS. Down 6 and 7 in the fourth needing just one stop is in it. Something bridged the massive talent gap and if it wasn’t coaching and definitely wasn’t zebras, what was it? I’ll hang up and wait for an answer.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Basically, what that article says is that Mullen has put together inadequate talent combined with awful play on the field (i.e. no running game), yet the team is 8-2 anyway.

Just imagine how good Mullen could be if he actually assembled talent and got them to play well?
you misspelled "earned his 6 mil per year pay check."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Did it? UGA’s line of scrimmage in both games on both sides of the ball were far superior to ours. The talent isn’t even comparable. As our biggest recruiting guy, I would think you could look at the extreme difference in talent and wonder how we were still in it this year - especially if we were outschemed and coached, as you say. And don’t give me this crap that we weren’t in it - that’s blatant BS. Down 6 and 7 in the fourth needing just one stop is in it. Something bridged the massive talent gap and if it wasn’t coaching and definitely wasn’t zebras, what was it? I’ll hang up and wait for an answer.

I'm not even going to get into it with you (again). The game I watched we were outcoached. The game you watched we were out-talented. Simple as that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not even going to get into it with you (again). The game I watched we were outcoached. The game you watched we were out-talented. Simple as that.

In the first drive of the game (scripted plays) you have to use two timeouts due to confusion and the team looks lost. That is an unprepared team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.