Dan Mullen

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Ox, if you are genuinely curious about my temperament, the answer is that yes I can tolerate pessimism and even despondence that is tempered by humility. None of us have all the facts or can prognosticate infallibly. Indeed many negative statements that have been made are well justified and reasonable. For example even your own hyperbolic disappointment isn’t offensive due to its inherent theatricality and mystery.

However it is the true sh!tbirds that I am singling out for odium: those that scapegoat and malign out of ignorance and malice, as though their disappointment with the team is the only thing important. That kind of egotism disgusts me. We are supposed to be supporting a team playing a sport that is full of surprises. Let’s at least allow for that possibility if we call ourselves fans, that we are pretty likely to be surprised by the way events unfold.

Anyone that still feels maligned by the above graphic, well, that is between them and their conscience.
That is a lucid, intelligent, and well thought-out objection.

Overruled.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
It was obvious by the half that our D was not going to stop lsu. The only chance we had was to throw, throw, and throw some more. 1st down through 4th down. Mullen didn’t see it that way.

We needed to run some to control the clock. The plan was nearly successful even with the historically bad defensive night. I agree with the vast majority of Mullen's offensive calls last night, including the play call on the interception (I think he was saving EJ run for 4th down if needed). I would venture most of us are dissatisfied with the calls on the final drive of the game (except 2nd down which should have been flagged PI).

I guess I'm in the minority but I am more encouraged after Saturday's game than before. We stood up offensively in a very hostile environment and played well. If we get defense in the midpoint of Auburn and LSU we can beat any team we play the rest of the season. UGA's bubble burst a bit so the East is wide open to us. I'll say we are better than 50/50 to beat UGA and win the East. At least that's where my heart is today.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
We needed to run some to control the clock. The plan was nearly successful even with the historically bad defensive night. I agree with the vast majority of Mullen's offensive calls last night, including the play call on the interception (I think he was saving EJ run for 4th down if needed). I would venture most of us are dissatisfied with the calls on the final drive of the game (except 2nd down which should have been flagged PI).

I guess I'm in the minority but I am more encouraged after Saturday's game than before. We stood up offensively in a very hostile environment and played well. If we get defense in the midpoint of Auburn and LSU we can beat any team we play the rest of the season. UGA's bubble burst a bit so the East is wide open to us. I'll say we are better than 50/50 to beat UGA and win the East. At least that's where my heart is today.

Control the clock? Where have I heard that before? TOP was 38:19-21:41 UF. So f v c king what? This is mushchumpian theory....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, if you are genuinely curious about my temperament, the answer is that yes I can tolerate pessimism and even despondence that is tempered by humility. None of us have all the facts or can prognosticate infallibly. Indeed many negative statements that have been made are well justified and reasonable. For example even your own hyperbolic disappointment isn’t offensive due to its inherent theatricality and mystery.

However it is the true sh!tbirds that I am singling out for odium: those that scapegoat and malign out of ignorance and malice, as though their disappointment with the team is the only thing important. That kind of egotism disgusts me. We are supposed to be supporting a team playing a sport that is full of surprises. Let’s at least allow for that possibility if we call ourselves fans, that we are pretty likely to be surprised by the way events unfold.

Anyone that still feels maligned by the above graphic, well, that is between them and their conscience.
Yes, but showing up here day by day and watching every minute of every game IS supporting the team. The people that call themselves fans, then don't bother to watch the games or give a crap are the true "sh!tbirds". There's no real support there.

Everyone on this board wants the same thing, and that's to win every damn game and be hoisting trophies at the end of the year. Every one of us. You just have disagreements on how to get there.

As for meltdowns after losses, some people can handle them and some can't. If you can't, it's best to immediately log out after a loss and walk away - things will be fine after a day or two when you return. For those that choose to stay, just let people get it off their chest. It's therapeutic. Before the internet, these people would take out their rage with violence on their home and families, destroying property or even beating their wife and kids. Those nights often ended in a drunken trip to the pokey and a mugshot for posterity. Hence, places like the GCMB are offering a valuable community service that is actually saving the taxpayers money.

We had a long-time poster that actually quit the board because of the chatbox reactions to this loss. It offended him, he couldn't handle it. He sent me a PM asking me to delete his account. I'll miss the guy, but the fact is sports message boards aren't for people like him. They are for the craziest of the crazy, the worst of the worst, the most fanatical of all fans. It's the way it always have been. So I prefer to just get out of the way and let people vent, and as you know do quite a bit myself. :lol:

However, the sun came up the next morning. We'll be fine, and starting the process again the following Saturday.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Control the clock? Where have I heard that before? TOP was 38:19-21:41 UF. So f v c king what? This is mushchumpian theory....
Muschampian theory states the O shall control the clock until mid field, then punt the ball inside the 5 and let his defense force a turnover to win the game.

Basic ball control theory still demands the offense score a TD at the end of the drive.

It didn't work for us as well as we'd hoped, but most of that was on our D.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We needed to run some to control the clock.
90% of the time I would agree wholeheartedly....this was an exception though. At the point when they tied it at 28-28 I felt we wouldn't be able to match them score for score and that was not even halfway through the 3rd quarter, way too early to think that way....

On the plus side I was glad to see a little more creative wrinkles in the run game however were just not where we need to be running the ball right now and to be honest until we get 2 more serviceable linemen and a 225/230# 4.4-4.5 speed guy who also runs with power(think Fred Taylor) we can't rely on that.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Yes, but showing up here day by day and watching every minute of every game IS supporting the team. The people that call themselves fans, then don't bother to watch the games or give a crap are the true "sh!tbirds". There's no real support there.

Everyone on this board wants the same thing, and that's to win every damn game and be hoisting trophies at the end of the year. Every one of us. You just have disagreements on how to get there.

As for meltdowns after losses, some people can handle them and some can't. If you can't, it's best to immediately log out after a loss and walk away - things will be fine after a day or two when you return. For those that choose to stay, just let people get it off their chest. It's therapeutic. Before the internet, these people would take out their rage with violence on their home and families, destroying property or even beating their wife and kids. Those nights often ended in a drunken trip to the pokey and a mugshot for posterity. Hence, places like the GCMB are offering a valuable community service that is actually saving the taxpayers money.

We had a long-time poster that actually quit the board because of the chatbox reactions to this loss. It offended him, he couldn't handle it. He sent me a PM asking me to delete his account. I'll miss the guy, but the fact is sports message boards aren't for people like him. They are for the craziest of the crazy, the worst of the worst, the most fanatical of all fans. It's the way it always have been. So I prefer to just get out of the way and let people vent, and as you know do quite a bit myself. :lol:

However, the sun came up the next morning. We'll be fine, and starting the process again the following Saturday.
Yeah think I will have to log out after a loss too much negative energy for me. My self worth is not locked up in a college football team. I enjoy it for what it is a way to support my alma mater.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Dear OP

If your so upset with DM's coaching, Urban's available......again.
lyUrTUM.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I was largely cured of my pissy-ness by the Donkey and gatorfan81, who actually made me blurt hearty laughter yesterday morning. I really needed a laugh.

Here was the exchange from the Donkey:

MatthewM.: Ox and Law are interchangeable now
Swamp Donkey: your mom is interchangeable. can flip her either way.

:lol:

And here was gatorfan81's response to Sas's report that he had a great time at the LSU game and loved their fans:

gatorfan81: What makes me mad is we let LSU talk **** and they came in and backed it up. While we sat there like the good little whipping boys. Hell sas is over there secretly high fiving LSU fans and touching penis tips everytime someone scored. **** LSU. This was supposed to be our signature win.

Penis tips? :bwahaha:

Thanks fellas.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
I don't think any other coach would get anymore out of this team than this coaching staff has. We don't have the level of talent as when SOS or Urban was here (you could argue even Muscramp). The current staff has had one year to recruit. If last years class had been all 5 stars would any be playing especially on the O line.

Did we miss an opportunity to win this game because of the play calling? I don't think so with the way our D was playing. Did LSU ever punt? You have to stop the other team to win on the road regardless of what our offensive play calls were. I don't necessarily agree with the use of Emory Jones in the 3rd quarter, it seemed kind of forced, but it didn't lose the game anymore than the umpteen 30 yard plays by LSU.

Some of you "Fans/poser's oops posters" wouldn't be happy unless we hung 60 points and gave up 0 every game to every team regardless of at home or ranked or whatnot.

Go Gators

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think any other coach would get anymore out of this team than this coaching staff has. We don't have the level of talent as when SOS or Urban was here (you could argue even Muscramp). The current staff has had one year to recruit. If last years class had been all 5 stars would any be playing especially on the O line.

Did we miss an opportunity to win this game because of the play calling? I don't think so with the way our D was playing. Did LSU ever punt? You have to stop the other team to win on the road regardless of what our offensive play calls were. I don't necessarily agree with the use of Emory Jones in the 3rd quarter, it seemed kind of forced, but it didn't lose the game anymore than the umpteen 30 yard plays by LSU.

Some of you "Fans/poser's oops posters" wouldn't be happy unless we hung 60 points and gave up 0 every game to every team regardless of at home or ranked or whatnot.

Go Gators

gtfo

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Go Gators
I think everyone on this board would have been thrilled had we won by one point.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018

Ox, if you want to argue that I am the real sh!tbird rather than the trailer park miscreants from whose meth fueled depredations you regularly rescue wives, children, and household pets by enabling them to post malicious nonsense online, be my guest. You can probably even make that case, but what you can’t do is gain them my sympathy. Because I will always hate lies, especially monstrous lies like the suggestion that craven, faithless malice can be born out of love. Tearing something apart can never demonstrate that you love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator