DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

My thought on that play when watching it in slo mo is that it is 3rd down and 3 yards to go. The only players at the line to gain or inside are those rushing the QB. Everyone else is nowhere near the first down line to gain. Now granted 3rd and 3 is not a sticks D down and distance but someone has to be in the same zip code as the line to gain.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stephen Colbert Popcorn GIF

On one of the post game radio call-in shows I heard somebody say that with our defensive secondary we should change the Petty song from “won’t back down” to “don’t back up”.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
From my view I see Billy to be a good program builder that cares alot for his staff and players but he seems to need a real OC and a real DC. I have done quite a bit of head shaking this year and I am no expert whatsoever but anyone with any knowledge of the game can see that Toney is in over his head. If Billy doesnt make a change at the end of the year (I doubt it) Raymond will likely be hired away. I have seen alot of good change with no arrests, very few penalties and it appears the team is sticking together even thru the losses. We are only 7 games in but at this pace I dont know if we even play a bowl game this year.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
You view it much more sophisticated that I do from and X's and O's perspective and you are correct. I view it from a game management perspective, meaning each down and distance relative to the game situation is independent. I understand this D does not have a lot of Tier 1 SEC talent and it is a bend but try not to collapse D, but down 2 scores in the 2nd half, 3rd down and 3 does not call for 2 defenders on 3 receivers on the field side, with both defenders 10 or more yards from the LOS.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

After watching this I have no more answers for what the hell is going on. Toney needs to get his head out of his ass.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Listened to Frank Frangie on the way home this afternoon. He’s quite possibly the biggest pumper I’ve ever seen when it comes to the Gators and the Jags. He said he’s 64 years old and has been a Gator fan since he was 10. Stated emphatically that this is the worst Gator defense he’s ever seen. That ain’t no small feat my friends.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Shouldn't a LB almost always lead a team in tackles....as bad as both of those teams are on run defense they should be doing better...but splitting reps hurts them.
Probably should. And I'm not convinced they're splitting reps very much. (How often are your team leaders in tackles not the same guys who are playing most of the snaps?) Diabate, btw, while fourth on the team, is first among the team's linebackers.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Holy Shyt. LOL
8/2/22

Toney wants to bring third-down defense back to UF​

Throughout the last few years, Florida struggled with getting off the field on third down. With Toney in charge of the defense, he wants to return to the days when UF had one of the best defenses in the nation.

“Third down is so interesting. Analytics have taken over the game in college, and you’re seeing it go to the NFL as well,” Toney said.

How will Toney work to make that happen? He wants to get after the quarterback.

“Philosophically, we want to contest every route. We want to make it hard for the quarterback,” Toney said. “We want to affect the quarterback. He is, obviously, the guy with the hardest job. He has to deliver it on third down.”

With the aforementioned “creeper,” Toney is going to show pressure in a plethora of ways, especially on third down.

“So how can we contest him, make him throw in tight windows? And then with that being said, how can we affect the quarterback directly, get the ball out of his hand, hopefully not in rhythm?”

With third-down defense being such a challenge, each position group must do their job to get off the field. From the defensive line creating pressure to the linebackers obeying their responsibilities to the defensive backs locking down in coverage, it all comes together on third-down.

“We want to play close and tight to the receivers,” Toney said. “[We] don’t want to let them have free access, and then we want to affect the quarterback with our rush or pressure.”

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Holy Shyt. LOL
8/2/22

Throughout the last few years, Florida struggled with getting off the field on third down. With Toney in charge of the defense, he wants to return to the days when UF had one of the best defenses in the nation.

“Third down is so interesting. Analytics have taken over the game in college, and you’re seeing it go to the NFL as well,” Toney said.

“Philosophically, we want to contest every route. We want to make it hard for the quarterback,” Toney said. “We want to affect the quarterback. He is, obviously, the guy with the hardest job. He has to deliver it on third down.”

With the aforementioned “creeper,” Toney is going to show pressure in a plethora of ways, especially on third down.

“So how can we contest him, make him throw in tight windows? And then with that being said, how can we affect the quarterback directly, get the ball out of his hand, hopefully not in rhythm?”

With third-down defense being such a challenge, each position group must do their job to get off the field. From the defensive line creating pressure to the linebackers obeying their responsibilities to the defensive backs locking down in coverage, it all comes together on third-down.

“We want to play close and tight to the receivers,” Toney said. “[We] don’t want to let them have free access, and then we want to affect the quarterback with our rush or pressure.”
Election 2020 GIF by Joe Biden

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Holy Shyt. LOL
8/2/22

college gameday sport GIF

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Tre'Vez had offers from App st. Army, Bowling Green and Boston college. 3 star. Could he start on "teams"? Power 5 or any? Power 5? I doubt it but this is opinion because neither of us know for sure. Cox did the same shyt last year with Fat Todd. I'd like to see him under control a bit more..he'd make way more plays. You realize Di Virgilio was a Toney fan when we hired this staff? It was the offense everyone was so concerned about.
I'm not claiming Tre'Vez is some great player or something, but your post only tells part of the story. He was a three star for Rivals and on the 247 composite, but 247 themselves rated him a 4* (#235 overall); in addition to the colleges you mentioned, he also had offers from several ACC schools, including Clemson, and several B1G schools (though not top tier ones). We were his only SEC offer and there's no way to tell commitable offers from non-commitable on the recruiting websites. It's also possible his early commitment (June before his senior year) limited offers.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
We want to play close and tight to the receivers,” Toney said. “[We] don’t want to let them have free access, and then we want to affect the quarterback with our rush or pressure.” I am ready for him to start denying that free access and play close and tight

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 5.02.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 5.02.11 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I'm not claiming Tre'Vez is some great player or something, but your post only tells part of the story. He was a three star for Rivals and on the 247 composite, but 247 themselves rated him a 4* (#235 overall); in addition to the colleges you mentioned, he also had offers from several ACC schools, including Clemson, and several B1G schools (though not top tier ones). We were his only SEC offer and there's no way to tell commitable offers from non-commitable on the recruiting websites. It's also possible his early commitment (June before his senior year) limited offers.
I just want him to clean up his game. Hell maybe it is coaching..who knows at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.