DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Holy Shyt. LOL
8/2/22

Toney wants to bring third-down defense back to UF​

Throughout the last few years, Florida struggled with getting off the field on third down. With Toney in charge of the defense, he wants to return to the days when UF had one of the best defenses in the nation.

“Third down is so interesting. Analytics have taken over the game in college, and you’re seeing it go to the NFL as well,” Toney said.

How will Toney work to make that happen? He wants to get after the quarterback.

“Philosophically, we want to contest every route. We want to make it hard for the quarterback,” Toney said. “We want to affect the quarterback. He is, obviously, the guy with the hardest job. He has to deliver it on third down.”

With the aforementioned “creeper,” Toney is going to show pressure in a plethora of ways, especially on third down.

“So how can we contest him, make him throw in tight windows? And then with that being said, how can we affect the quarterback directly, get the ball out of his hand, hopefully not in rhythm?”

With third-down defense being such a challenge, each position group must do their job to get off the field. From the defensive line creating pressure to the linebackers obeying their responsibilities to the defensive backs locking down in coverage, it all comes together on third-down.

“We want to play close and tight to the receivers,” Toney said. “[We] don’t want to let them have free access, and then we want to affect the quarterback with our rush or pressure.”

1666131417872.gif

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
“Talent issue”

Guess all our players are dumb as a box of rocks or are completely ignoring the coaching staff that is telling them to play tighter

9E2FA7D2-0E25-45A0-BB06-0B48024ECA49.png

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Coach Napier,

You've got Patrick Toney on your staff as DC.

I'm going in to take a nap. For the rest of the season.

When I wake, if Patrick Toney is fired, I'll know I have a head coach with a future.

If he isn't, I'll know I don't.

sicg_1caf6c7575dcffd4631f669fc2106fda.gif

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
“Talent issue”

Guess all our players are dumb as a box of rocks or are completely ignoring the coaching staff that is telling them to play tighter

View attachment 49967
Or they aren't good enough(fast enough) to cover the extra ground being ask of them just like they can't find a proper angle to tackle on the outside and just like our LBer's who can't get to the corner fast enough to prevent a simple toss or screen from turning into a field flipping 30-40 yard gain....or worse

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
That’s insane.

I’m not saying we have elite talent or anything like that but the fact our defense is THIS putrid is inexcusable and does fall back on coaching. If we had a defense ranked in the 40s, I’d understand. We’re currently one of the worst defenses in the nation though.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not saying we have elite talent or anything like that but the fact our defense is THIS putrid is inexcusable and does fall back on coaching. If we had a defense ranked in the 40s, I’d understand. We’re currently one of the worst defenses in the nation though.

Toney better get his shyt together

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Coach Napier,

You've got Patrick Toney on your staff as DC.

I'm going in to take a nap. For the rest of the season.

When I wake, if Patrick Toney is fired, I'll know I have a head coach with a future.

If he isn't, I'll know I don't.

sicg_1caf6c7575dcffd4631f669fc2106fda.gif
Well played.
leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Some of my favorites from that story from Joe Lee Dunn Jr., the 3rd :lmao2:

Toney wants to bring third-down defense back to UF​

“We want to play close and tight to the receivers,” Toney said. “[We] don’t want to let them have free access, and then we want to affect the quarterback with our rush or pressure.”

And to this point the judgment is......................

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015

Attachments

• Finger Jackoff.gif
    Finger Jackoff.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 12

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
First off, If I went and checked your post I wouldve just responded to it instead of a new post. You said 5th in your post, stop acting like you said another round not including 5th. You even came back and said you said 5th (ish), so maybe thats why that one stood out in my remembering what you posted.
Good grief.
-----------
Despite his intelligence and experience, Torrence II is a limited prospect. His lateral and linear burst are underwhelming. Similarly, he lacks notable long speed. His stiff knees and ankles slow his changes of direction and transitions. The Gators’ star lacks range as a tackler and in coverage. Torrence II is slow to process and identify plays at times. In man coverage, he tries to get physical with an all-or-nothing style that causes him to whiff badly. He may struggle to mirror NFL wide receivers and tight ends. He offers too many blind spots with awkward hip turns. In zone, Torrence II fails to multitask and ends up out of position too often. His angles while reading the quarterback are unreliable and take him out of the play. He bites on underneath routes and fails to maintain depth or contain in zone. Further, Torrence II gives up his frame to blockers. His angles as a tackler are overly aggressive and his effort to the tackle point is inconsistent. He may have trouble mirroring NFL ball carriers. Rashad Torrence II projects as an early-career special teamer with backup and subpackage upside.

Grade:
7th Round to UDFA

Ahem..

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
OK it's official I have taken the time to rewatch every game so far and took notes on some things defensively.
Our opposition averages 6 1st downs per game where we could have tackled the opposing player short of the 1st on 3rd down but were not either strong enough of took a poor angle. These include 3rd down plays only of both running the ball and a pass caught short of the marker an attempted tackle that failed. It doesn't account for whiffs on sacks or clean plays where the pass was well past the 1st down marker. Or their back hits a clean hole for a big gain.....think contact or YAC here.

Now lets assume coaching is to blame for half of this to be fair and poor play or lack of talent is the other half.....so with 3 1st downs given up and factoring our scoring average into percentage of drives and time taken away by averaging our time of possession we would have scored and denied our opponents of enough scores to be 6-1 right now.

The truth is guys we have a new coach and I'm not impressed so far BUT we are 4-3 instead by more of the reality(basing strength and speed) because of a lack of talent on defense. You can't break it down any simpler than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.