Defensive line future assessments

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wanting to know what you guys think of this position group moving forward. I think this is our strongest group on the team, now and looking at next year. Some players who have been coming along to me are Joey Ivie, Caleb Brantley, Alex McCallister and Brian Cox. Gerald Willis showed some flashes earlier this year but haven't heard much lately. I do think he will be outstanding for us in the futre. Khairi Clark was in on some plays earlier but like Willis I haven't seen from him in a while. Bullard has come on a bit lately and I hope he comes back for another year, I just don't think he's quite ready for the NFL yet.
One other thing I'd like to mention is Coach Lawing seems to be developing players better at this group than any other coach with the exception of maybe QB but I will withhold that judgment until I see Treon play the rest of the season. What do you all think ?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Willis is going to be a very good player. You haven't heard from him because he's injured

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ray Finkle;n103907 said:
Willis is going to be a very good player. You haven't heard from him because he's injured

Since you mentioned it :run:........Is he getting a medical hardship waiver, or medical redshirt ?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've been impressed with the development of both our lines this year. The D line has been able to generate a pass rush which has really helped our young secondary. I think we're solid on the D line next year, especially if Bullard is back. I'm really worried about the O line next year with all the seniors we're losing.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n103917 said:
I've been impressed with the development of both our lines this year. The D line has been able to generate a pass rush which has really helped our young secondary. I think we're solid on the D line next year, especially if Bullard is back. I'm really worried about the O line next year with all the seniors we're losing.

Our young guys in the middle have been getting a good push against the pass without getting caught out of position on the run. That speaks of good coaching. The times that people have gotten decent runs on us is more on the LB's IMO.
I agree, the oline scares me next year. I see starters in Johnson, Sharpe, Hump, but nobody behind that has any experience.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
We're getting some nice rotational numbers on the D-line. Hopefully Summers will have some of the young guy ready to roll next year. Hope we have a couple of nasty maulers develop inside.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n103917 said:

I think the D line is ahead of the O line, and will be more so next year. They just have better depth. D line needs to get bigger next year. Most of those guys are tweeners. We need them to become stumps in the middle.

Obviously the OL looks better with a QB that gets the ball out on time, reading blitzes and getting them in the correct protections, but most of us knew what the problem with them was already.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
D-line will be good next year, but I think the best unit will be the DB's. All the talent is coming back, but now with a lot more experience. LB depth concerns me most for defense next year.

On offense the O-line is certainly going to be the weakest unit because of the new starters; however, I really like what Summers has done this year. If Muschamp is gone, I hope Summers stays. The offense can still be really good though next year. Treon's speed can help counter the O-line's youth, WR's will be more experienced, and RB will continue to be the strongest offensive unit. I said this in August, but 2015 is looking to be the best UF team since 2009 from an overall talent standpoint.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJB;n104289 said:
D-line will be good next year, but I think the best unit will be the DB's. All the talent is coming back, but now with a lot more experience. LB depth concerns me most for defense next year.

On offense the O-line is certainly going to be the weakest unit because of the new starters; however, I really like what Summers has done this year. If Muschamp is gone, I hope Summers stays. The offense can still be really good though next year. Treon's speed can help counter the O-line's youth, WR's will be more experienced, and RB will continue to be the strongest offensive unit. I said this in August, but 2015 is looking to be the best UF team since 2009 from an overall talent standpoint.

I agree 100%. If Summers can make at least an average offensive line the team could be outstanding. The big thing there will be quality depth....same as LB.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remember that we also have Thomas Holley and Khairi Clark currently redshirting. Holley was the #2 rated DT in America, Clark was a 4-star who goes 325lbs.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Looks like we have 12 scholarship o-lineman returning. Humphries, Johnson and Sharpe have game reps at tackle. High hopes for Sharpe. Everyone loves Johnson's energy. Additional depth at tackle to come from possibly the Dorsey, Mike, Harkless and Savary group. Inside will need to replace Garcia at center. Dillard I guess may be the lead candidate. Moore and Thurman are our most experienced returners inside. Not sure how much Riles has played to this point. Kelleher looked to be a promising interior lineman recruit last year but had some medical issues. Not sure were he is with that. Would like to not have to depend on next seasons recruits for any help if possible. A two deep out of that 12 might be a little much to ask.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Coach9;104414 said:
Looks like we have 12 scholarship o-lineman returning. Humphries, Johnson and Sharpe have game reps at tackle. High hopes for Sharpe. Everyone loves Johnson's energy. Additional depth at tackle to come from possibly the Dorsey, Mike, Harkless and Savary group. Inside will need to replace Garcia at center. Dillard I guess may be the lead candidate. Moore and Thurman are our most experienced returners inside. Not sure how much Riles as played to this point. Kelleher looked to be a promising interior lineman recruit last year but had some medical issues. Not sure were he is with that. Would like to not have to depend on next seasons recruits for any help if possible. A two deep out of that 12 might be a little much to ask.
Hopefully we get Ivey and he can provide some reps here and there, but yeah, I don't like depending on the studliest of freshman olinemen. Did Riles come in as a dline recruit?

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Ray Finkle;n104420 said:
Hopefully we get Ivey and he can provide some reps here and there, but yeah, I don't like depending on the studliest of freshman olinemen. Did Riles come in as a dline recruit?

Yep, they flipped him from the D

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That might have been the dorkiest joke I've ever made

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics