Defensive recruiting for Chump versus Mac

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
My criticisms of McElwain's recruiting are well documented. I think he has a certain measure of arrogance that "he knows better" that is now biting him, specifically on defense. Looks like he has wised up a bit, so we'll see. But he definitely has to own, at least, part of this.

That said, I think the original premise is a joke. WM walked into a UF program that as "broken" as he wants to make it out to be, was exactly 1 year removed from an undefeated regular season, and 2 years from a NC. I'm not debating his recruiting abilities in relation to McElwain's, but the UF brand was on a completely different level when he took over. And a large part of the problem that the current staff ran into initially was the dumpster fire perception that WM is solely responsible for. Compare his 2012 and '13 classes to his '14 class and the one he had when he was fired. The cracks were already showing as the jig was already up.

Again, not dismissing JM's issues here. But making it seem as if WM did some wonderful job driving our University into the ground is laughable.
giphy.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Again, not dismissing JM's issues here. But making it seem as if WM did some wonderful job driving our University into the ground is laughable.
I dont know anyone who thinks Chimp did a good job. Even the Pumpers finally conceded, after the fact for some. The point is that as bad as Chimp was on offense Butters is only ever so slightly better, and basically only at one position, and just as bad on defense As Chimp was on offense.

The recruiting numbers point in the same direction as the offensive numbers. Both indicate we went from terrible to even worse.
frankly The only positive sign is that chimp average five losses and so far Butters has only averaged four.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I dont know anyone who thinks Chimp did a good job. Even the Pumpers finally conceded, after the fact for some. The point is that as bad as Chimp was on offense Butters is only ever so slightly better, and basically only at one position, and just as bad on defense As Chimp was on offense.

The recruiting numbers point in the same direction as the offensive numbers. Both indicate we went from terrible to even worse.
frankly The only positive sign is that chimp average five losses and so far Butters has only averaged four.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone here felt that WM did a good job. I was referencing the original tweet that implied how much better he had recruited than McElwain has to date. The situations were quite different. To me it's one of the maddening things with JM and his recruiting struggles. While I'm totally on board with questioning many of his moves (or lack thereof), the logical side of me recognizes that he's not the only variable here. The powers that be allowed things to get so bad that it's really hard to discern exactly how much of these struggles are JM and his deficiencies and how much is the situation he inherited. I don't know the answer, and am not sure anyone truly does.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. The powers that be allowed things to get so bad that it's really hard to discern exactly how much of these struggles are JM and his deficiencies and how much is the situation he inherited. I don't know the answer, and am not sure anyone truly does.
Do you REALLY think we have the 116th talent in the NCAA? Offense was thin, no doubt, but not 116th.

Butters N Nusschimp are 116th.

Spurrier finished in the top 20 with walkons at QB. We are probably top 20 to top 15 in talent. At worst baby 25. Not much has changed, except we have a few more bluechip WRs, and a few less bluechip QB, but there is only one fat man to blame for that.

Chimp landed FOUR 4 star QBs. If there were any semblance of offense on the field, and I dont mean 30 screen passes, kids would be flocking to us like they do to Ugly now.

But we chose to continue down the same damn road, double down on ultaconservative TOP offense that even Saban has abandoned.

At least it was cheap. Lol Just 3.5 mil per year for Chimp at the same time we pay Butters 4 mil.

Its not hard to discern at all. You just dont want to.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Do you REALLY think we have the 116th talent in the NCAA? Offense was thin, no doubt, but not 116th.

Spurrier finished in the top 20 with walkons at QB. We are probably top 20 to top 15 in talent. At worst baby 25. Not much has changed, except we have a few more bluechip WRs, and a few less bluechip QB, but there is only one fat man to blame for that.

Chimp landed FOUR 4 star QBs. If there were any semblance of offense on the field, and I dont mean 30 screen passes, kids would be flocking to us like they do to Ugly now.

But we chose to continue down the same damn road, double down on ultaconservative TOP offense that even Saban has abandoned.

At least it was cheap. Lol Just 3.5 mil per year for Chimp at the same time we pay Butters 4 mil.

No I don't, which is why I have no problem laying blame at the feet of those currently in charge. I said that. It's not debatable that JM and Co. own a sizeable portion of our situation, namely their recruiting approach. It's even less debatable that the UF brand when he took over was as low as at any point since probably the late '70s. So to properly judge a situation with multiple variables is more complicated than simply saying "this guy sucks". We may even be in agreement on that statement. But it does nothing to dispute that two head coaches--which is what the original tweet was about--were handed different circumstances. My point stands.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

No I don't, which is why I have no problem laying blame at the feet of those currently in charge. I said that. It's not debatable that JM and Co. own a sizeable portion of our situation, namely their recruiting approach. It's even less debatable that the UF brand when he took over was as low as at any point since probably the late '70s. So to properly judge a situation with multiple variables is more complicated than simply saying "this guy sucks". We may even be in agreement on that statement. But it does nothing to dispute that two head coaches--which is what the original tweet was about--were handed different circumstances. My point stands.

38c518bd48947b487776b92f2eac89abc7847091ee91a3ab988c7d2f9a927a83.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator