Defensive recruiting for Chump versus Mac

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Oh please... Name ONE GC member who said the 2* LB was a stud. Not even 2222 was willing to pump that hard.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I always look forward to watching my D, sure hope Mac isn't going to add another thing to piss me off :rolleyes:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite part was when the author said Florida's offense wpuld be great if we recruited a decent qb and fired nussmeier lol. I definitely see how that could hold an offense back. It's also sad that his signature win at csu was against an awful Colorado team. Can we just can this clown and move on?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So.... lets talk about offense and the myth that Butters is doing so much better on offense. The truth is that Butters is doing approximately the same or worse at QB, OL, and TE and approximately the same at RB. WR is the only position with clearly better numbers (probably for obvious reasons IMO given that Chimp disdained the forward pass).

You will also note that Butters increase in offensive talent (19 blue offensive blue chippers vs 15) does not offset the huge dropoff in defensive talent (25 to 9 I think using the original post, I'm not going to double check his work):

Offensive Blue chippers Chimp 15 Butters 19
Offensive three stars: Chimp 20 Butters 19
2 stars: Chimp none Butters 1

QBs
Chimp: 2 four stars, 2 three stars;
Butters 1 four star, 1 three star, 1 two star

WRs
Chimp 3 four stars; 6 three stars;
Butters 8 four stars, 2 three stars

RBs
Chimp 3 four stars, 1 three star;
Butters 6 four stars

OL
Chimp 1 five star, 3 four stars, 9 three stars;
Butters 1 five star, 2 four stars, 8 three stars

TE
Chimp 3 four stars, 2 three stars;
Butters1 four star, 2 three stars

All star rating are from Rivals, of course.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Oh please... Name ONE GC member who said the 2* LB was a stud. Not even 2222 was willing to pump that hard.

LOL. There were people saying they trusted Randy Shannon over any ratings system and all kinds of other garbage.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
LOL. There were people saying they trusted Randy Shannon over any ratings system and all kinds of other garbage.

I must’ve missed that. I saw comments that said “maybe” or “hopefully,” but never saw the pumping you describe. Hard to fathom any bold statements about a 2*.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The lack of talent across the board on the Defense is obvious....and the lack of depth is scary (sure, a few of the suspended players would have helped). It's not going to fix itself overnight either. I'm just hoping we can limp our way through the season - and I'm expecting another blowout loss or two - and come back next year much improved. I don't think we have anywhere near the talent as the 2007 defense, so I'm not expecting next year's D to look anything like the 2008 D, but at least much improved over this year.

Mac didn't recruit a DT until his third recruiting class! Plus did you forget about all of those 3 star DB's he recruited in 2016? That's why we are playing so many true freshmen this year. His overall 2017 class was progress, but the lack of defense in the first two classes are coming back to bite him. The only defensive position he has recruited well the last three years is pass-rushing DE.

Also it's hard to agree that his offensive recruiting makes up the difference when his offense still sucks in year 3. It's inexcusable.

This.

We had a decent game on the O side vs. Vandy. VANDY!! Who just gave up nearly 700 yards to Bama (and we crack 400 and all of a sudden our offensive problems are solved!! WTF?). Vandy 2017 is our Kentucky 2016 game (so far). Let's see this sh*t-show offense do it week in and week out. Those thinking the offense has turned some sort of corner are very likely fooling themselves....

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I always look forward to watching my D, sure hope Mac isn't going to add another thing to piss me off :rolleyes:
I think the D will be fine...next year. Muschamp left a dumpster fire on the offensive side of the ball in addition to a PR nightmare. McYet has to fix that (which it looks like the class of 18 will go a long way towards ) first. Not making excuses for his misses on the D...but our rep is still in tact on that side. We still have talent back there ... just not the elite and not the depth. He's got to fix it this class.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
TE
Chimp 3 four stars, 2 three stars;
Butters1 four star, 2 three stars

All star rating are from Rivals, of course.

All those tight ends and not one could block (I don't count the transfer McGee) and we constantly moved DE over to play that spot instead of ones that could catch.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Okay, so a web sportswriter did what he was paid to do, generate clicks. I’m pretty sure that thread title was just echoing the title of the article.

Did you actually read maheo’s comments? Did you notice the “however” or “wait and see?” Not what I would call major pumping. As for any replies, sometimes there’s too many to get caught up and so I skip to the end.

Edit: thread title wasn’t the same as the article. So, title was a bit ludicrous, but comments were still pretty grounded.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All those tight ends and not one could block (I don't count the transfer McGee) and we constantly moved DE over to play that spot instead of ones that could catch.
And we are doing it again now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. Even Law was pumping the kid
I think he might be the biggest loss out of the suspended players.

that probably sounds crazy but I never thought Scarlet was great and Calloway was streaky but not consistent. I don't think either of them had more than 6 touchdowns.

we can't afford to play Walk-Ons or 210 pounders at are inside linebacker positions.

if you look I was pretty optimistic about Davis as well. If you are going to grab a three-star, grabbing an All-State kid from Florida is the three star you want to grab.

you guys act like I'm a dumper; I used to attack the dumpers like Sid and T-Rex. I am a bandwagon guy and I give the new coach (generally) the benefit of the doubt. it was hard to do that with Butters given his coordinator hires though and his ultraconservative offensive background. the impending train wreck was clearly visible.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My criticisms of McElwain's recruiting are well documented. I think he has a certain measure of arrogance that "he knows better" that is now biting him, specifically on defense. Looks like he has wised up a bit, so we'll see. But he definitely has to own, at least, part of this.

That said, I think the original premise is a joke. WM walked into a UF program that as "broken" as he wants to make it out to be, was exactly 1 year removed from an undefeated regular season, and 2 years from a NC. I'm not debating his recruiting abilities in relation to McElwain's, but the UF brand was on a completely different level when he took over. And a large part of the problem that the current staff ran into initially was the dumpster fire perception that WM is solely responsible for. Compare his 2012 and '13 classes to his '14 class and the one he had when he was fired. The cracks were already showing as the jig was already up.

Again, not dismissing JM's issues here. But making it seem as if WM did some wonderful job driving our University into the ground is laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.