Defensive Recruiting under Mac

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Quite a few were off. Morrison was a 3*, Anzalone was a 5*, etc etc.

Another thing I haven't seen discussed is how many of Muschamps guys were complete non factors. Either couldn't crack the lineup or had to transfer.
There we're many! Most of them had pre-existing injuries before they came to UF (that Chump failed to do research on) and never played a down.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There we're many! Most of them had pre-existing injuries before they came to UF (that Chump failed to do research on) and they never played a down.
i think we're doing a better job than that now, but we've got some coaches not pulling their recruiting weight too.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
i think we're doing a better job than that now, but we've got some coaches not pulling their recruiting weight too.
We are identifying talent way...better now and Mac is doing his research on the recruits also. We just need to start landing some of the "Elite" and I believe we'll start too with this class if we have a good season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's true that we had terrible offensive recruiting under Duncecap but even he landed way too many DBs and not enough LBs and almost no DTs.

Offense is obviously better now, but we are still very, very weak at OL and still can't land a DT or inside LB to save our damn life.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's true that we had terrible offensive recruiting under Duncecap but even he landed way too many DBs and not enough LBs and almost no DTs.

Offense is obviously better now, but we are still very, very weak at OL and still can't land a DT or inside LB to save our damn life.
Well we have two big DTs already in this class, and Miller is supposed to be a MLB. Also Reese looked good in the spring game, so I think he'll have potential at MLB

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

We just got a commitment from a kid who tore his ACL 2 weeks ago..... Just pointing that out since you think we're "doing a better job than that now" when discussing bringing in kids with preexisting injuries/conditions.

Recruiting is a crap shoot....most 4-star kids work out, I'd guess well over 50%. It's probably less w/ 3-star kids (at bigger programs - they work out at smaller programs because usually they don't have many kids higher than 3-stars). We all know kids can come back from an ACL, so I'm not too concerned....but I would have rather it be a 4-star w/ no ACL injury (obviously).

This thread is definitely premature, but there is legitimate concern w/ recruiting on that side of the ball.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well we have two big DTs already in this class, and Miller is supposed to be a MLB. Also Reese looked good in the spring game, so I think he'll have potential at MLB
We had zero in each of the last two classes and were left in poor shape from Duncecap, who basically left us with a fleet of "buck" hybrids that are too light to play DE in the SEC and too slow to play LB.

Two DTs is too little too late. We need 2-3 jucos and and 2-3 in this class.

Saban plays three run plugging heavy NT types in his defense. As long as we play that style, which I guess we will after giving Sidehat a huge raise, we need to emulate his style.... Or we will get destroyed up the gut as we have since the Chimp years, really since Meer years and we were playing LBs like Trattou and Lemmens at DE.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We had zero in each of the last two classes and were left in poor shape from Duncecap, who basically left us with a fleet of "buck" hybrids that are too light to play DE in the SEC and too slow to play LB.

Two DTs is too little too late. We need 2-3 jucos and and 2-3 in this class.

Saban plays three run plugging heavy NT types in his defense. As long as we play that style, which I guess we will after giving Sidehat a huge raise, we need to emulate his style.... Or we will get destroyed up the gut as we have since the Chimp years, really since Meer years and we were playing LBs like Trattou and Lemmens at DE.
Understand and agree, one of the DT's is a JUCO. I've been saying we need 2 DT JUCOs in the class for a while.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We just got a commitment from a kid who tore his ACL 2 weeks ago..... Just pointing that out since you think we're "doing a better job than that now" when discussing bringing in kids with preexisting injuries/conditions.

Recruiting is a crap shoot....most 4-star kids work out, I'd guess well over 50%. It's probably less w/ 3-star kids (at bigger programs - they work out at smaller programs because usually they don't have many kids higher than 3-stars). We all know kids can come back from an ACL, so I'm not too concerned....but I would have rather it be a 4-star w/ no ACL injury (obviously).

This thread is definitely premature, but there is legitimate concern w/ recruiting on that side of the ball.
Here's the big difference, we knew about the ACL. The coaches thought he was good enough to take the risk. Not saying it was a good or bad thing, just the we knew the risk and are okay with it. What you quoted was my response about Muschamp being oblivious to prior conditions.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wish we were not in the position of needing to gamble on these longest of long shots.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Understand and agree, one of the DT's is a JUCO. I've been saying we need 2 DT JUCOs in the class for a while.

I'd love to land another JUCO....and I don't care what he's "ranked" or how many stars he has. Finding JUCO DT's is tough. Ole Miss just got a commit from a 6'4 245lb DE that was an unranked JUCO (he originally signed w/ Ole Miss out of HS). So I know there are JUCO's out there to be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.