Del Rio showing touch (other practice vids, Davis big hit)

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
More updates - http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Practice-Notes-Day-7-Passing-game-not-quite-in-sync-46707723

Florida hosted its eighth practice of fall camp on Thursday morning at the lacrosse facilities, and GatorBait.net brings you an in-depth recap of the periods available to the media for open viewing.

Passing game not quite as crisp
If the passing game was promising on the first two days of practice open to media viewing -- it was -- it wasn't nearly as promising on Thursday. The quarterbacks and receivers seemed out of sync for large chunks of the 20 minutes or so that the media was present.

It wasn't just the quarterbacks being inaccurate, either. The receivers had a rough start to practice.

Quarterback Austin Appleby started with the first team in fastball work and completed a couple of short checkdowns before Kyle Trask took over with the third team. Trask actually uncorked a couple beautiful passes, but a good floater down the sideline was dropped by Joshua Hammond and a picture-perfect corner route thrown to a walk-on was also dropped.

What's next for the Gators? Make sure you're in the loop -- take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Gators newsletter now!

In the routes on air portion of practice, the Gators didn't practice a ton of complex routes. Still, there were a number of drops and both Feleipe Franks and Luke Del Rio didn't do nearly as good a job throwing in front of and leading receivers as they had done in the first two practices.

Dre Massey had two drops against air (one thrown slightly behind him), as did slot receiver Brandon Powell. In general, the slot receivers had a rough start to practice. Moreover, through the three practices the media has seen now, drops have been consistent in that group.

Quarterback Luke Del Rio did not have a sharp day overall, though he completed one very nice corner route to Freddie Swain. Del Rio was picked off by Duke Dawson on one short slant and generally didn't connect nearly as well as he did in the first two open periods of practice in camp.

A handful of players were missing
As expected, a couple players were missing from Thursday morning's session.

One possible injury that GatorBait.net has not been able to verify just yet is a reported injury to freshman cornerback C.J. McWilliams. McWilliams was not spotted at Thursday morning's practice. Nor was freshman safety Quincy Lenton, who reportedly broke his foot.

Though the Gators weren't necessarily counting on either player to contribute this fall, Florida needs all the depth it can get, particularly in the secondary.

After two strong sessions in the open viewing to the media to begin fall camp, the start to Thursday's practice reinforced that Florida is still short on legitimate quality depth. The receivers generally didn't appear very deep, nor did the secondary.

Florida needs to remain relatively healthy at a few key spots, primarily on the offensive line, at linebacker and in the secondary. Any injuries to players in starting roles at those spots will create some immediate and noticeable dropoff.

Odds & Ends
-- Freshman Kyle Trask continues to look like the only quarterback on the roster capable of fairly consistently throwing guys open by hitting them in stride. Del Rio and Appleby both struggled with that somewhat in Thursday's practice, while freshman Feleipe Franks remains a good deal behind in practices.

-- At running back, Mark Thompson again worked with the first team on Thursday. He looked the part, with a couple short carries in fastball work, followed by a short catch over the middle.

-- Two receivers that continue to stand out with their natural ability are C.J. Worton and Freddie Swain. Swain continues to get open routinely, though the quarterbacks missed him a couple times and Swain dropped one pass after beating safety Marcell Harris. Worton beat defensive back Duke Dawson twice, once for a deep catch and once drawing a pass interference flag.

-- Senior receiver Ahmad Fulwood had one long touchdown catch over defensive back Jalen Tabor, with Fulwood doing a nice job stacking the deep route to prevent Tabor breaking up an underthrown ball to the end zone.

-- Freshman receiver Joshua Hammond had two drops in the beginning of practice, then was on the wrong page with Del Rio on a route in pass skeleton work. He has typically been a quiet but consistent performer, so Thursday's start to practice for him was a bit surprising.

-- Tight end DeAndre Goolsby had a few nice catches in pass skeleton and continues to look like a reliable option over the middle of the field. Florida has continued to use the skinny post over the middle of the field with a variety of receivers, and Massey managed to catch one over the middle in pass skeleton work.

-- Safety Marcus Maye continues to look better each day in coverage down the field, with one really nice play on a ball thrown down the left sideline deep. Meanwhile, Marcell Harris looked overmatched trying to cover receivers in pass skeleton work.

-- Linebacker Daniel McMillian had a nice pass breakup on a short slant in pass skeleton work, a route the offense was struggling with to open Thursday's practice.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
"Freshman Kyle Trask continues to look like the only quarterback on the roster capable of fairly consistently throwing guys open by hitting them in stride."

Law isn't gonna like this at all.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
"Freshman Kyle Trask continues to look like the only quarterback on the roster capable of fairly consistently throwing guys open by hitting them in stride."

Law isn't gonna like this at all.

Wont matter. We all know that Law is a football god and it doesnt matter what coaches, team mates or sports writers think about a players ability. If Law says he sucks, he sucks. End of conversation.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
When you are accepted into a HOF you typically get to pick someone special to you do be up there with you and give you the award, correct? If so, I believe Trask should have Law there when he's accepted into the HOFs for UF, FL-GA, NCAAF, and NFL. It's a shame that doesn't apply for Heisman winners, as Law could have gotten to be on stage multiple times for the same award.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This. Really looking forward to Dawson having a big year.

I think Dawson is going to be great and played this well, but Fulwood is a big kid and he needs to use his body to shield the defender from the ball here. He didn't seem to put much energy into it to me.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
I think Dawson is going to be great and played this well, but Fulwood is a big kid and he needs to use his body to shield the defender from the ball here. He didn't seem to put much energy into it to me.

I've only seen Fulwood exert energy on 1 play lol. that long TD in the bowl game against ECU. It's a shame that he hasn't turned the corner yet!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah for starters, that was a dreadful slant by Fulwood. Secondly, the QB should have known not to throw that the way Dawson flew in. And C, it was still a great jump by Dawson, reminiscent of the game ending pick in the Super Bowl by the Pats.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can't fathom what's holding Fulwood back, he's big, tall, and very fast.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

And so the Trask saga continues. It's not often one gets to witness history in the making. Let's all enjoy this journey together. 2-star b/up to HOFer for the ages.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gators had a QB that was a bench sitter for his entire Gator career; he threw
18 passes. He was Spurrier's backup. Named Kay Stephenson. Though he was
strictly a backup he was drafted by the NFL. He was backup there for Buffalo & ___?
All tolled he has spent 30+ years coaching in the CFL. Trask will have a better resume'
than Kay Stephenson.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember the throw to Hines as I was at the game... it was a beautiful throw. Driskel's issue was less his throwing ability and more his decision making ability. I also don't think anybody is looking at this one throw and saying we have a Heisman winner at QB.
Me too!

But the next week he came back and played very well at Tennessee. I remember him throwing a TD on a 20 yd out route at the front pylon with a guy about to demolish him. I thought we had a new stud at that moment. It went downhill from there even though we kept winning that year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But the next week he came back and played very well at Tennessee. I remember him throwing a TD on a 20 yd out route at the front pylon with a guy about to demolish him. I thought we had a new stud at that moment. It went downhill from there even though we kept winning that year.
Well, he didn't play very well. He did enough to win and had that one sweet throw, but we all though he was starting to put it together at that point.

That was a terrible Tinerc defense. That was the one with walkons playing at DT and MLB... alot like ours may be once we start racking up injuries.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Me too!

Yeah... he played great at Tennessee also. I think that TD was to Reed. I really think Muschamp messed up Driskel's head. He got worse every year.

That pass is at the 3:35 mark. Mute the music on this because it is awful.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I expect the offense to be behind the defense at this point of camp. I believe MOST offenses in the country would be behind our defense. I think it will pay dividends for Del Rio or Appleby to practice against such good DBs. We probably have one of (if not THE) best secondaries in the country and they will have an excellent year. I can't emphasize enough how valuable Torrian Gray will be on this staff. He's an excellent secondary coach and Virginia Tech had a great secondary year in and year out during his tenure there. He'll have our corners hounding receivers down the field, aggressively jumping routes, and terrorizing QBs in the SEC. Tabor, Wilson, and Dawson will be ballers and if he can get a guy like Putu up to speed and playing fast, watch out. The offense will be much better than years past and our defense won't miss a beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.