Del Rio to travel with the team to Knox

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Mac say they were travelling with four "and he's a guy." -- whatever that means in
Mac's cryptic talk ??

destindon

Banned
BANNED
Sep 12, 2016
Wow, that's a lot for a travel team? What is the maximum number of players allowed to travel with team? And what is max number allowed to dress out?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, that's a lot for a travel team? What is the maximum number of players allowed to travel with team? And what is max number allowed to dress out?

Having four travel doesn't mean 4 dress...

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Or not, it was one of 4 games going on at the same time. It's not like it was a BCS game or playoff game, it was a middle of the day bowl game jammed in with a bunch of other bowl games.
You think kids don't care because it's a middle of the day bowl game? These kids aren't casual observers. They have 3 to 4 schools they're interested in and they pay close attention to EVERYTHING

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You think kids don't care because it's a middle of the day bowl game? These kids aren't casual observers. They have 3 to 4 schools they're interested in and they pay close attention to EVERYTHING

They pay attention to everything, do you know many 17 year old kids and their "attention" on new years day. If we were talking a BCS or playoff game I fully agree. I would say that our defeat on the only game on TV in the SEC Championship game against Alabama or how we lost to FSU had 1000 times the impact on recruiting than a mid day bowl game where we where three or four other bowl games were all nationally televised and sandwiched in between the bowl games that actually had status (playoffs the night before and BCS game that afternoon and night).

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not that I think Mac is Bear Bryant, but do you think Bear Bryant ever made a mistake or got blown out? I bet he did. I bet he fell for a fake punt or field goal at one point. I bet his team got destroyed at one point for not being prepared. The coach can only do so much, if players are not motivated to play (Bowl Game) then it won't matter. Coaches can help push to motivate, but all people have to motivate themselves.

That wasn't the quote. He thinks we have Bear Bryant. Not a coach that sometimes makes mistakes. I commented on the ridiculousness of the comment. You are bringing in things that don't have anything to do with us having Bear Bryant. I'm sure all coaches make mistakes yet not all coaches are Bear Bryant.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
They pay attention to everything, do you know many 17 year old kids and their "attention" on new years day. If we were talking a BCS or playoff game I fully agree. I would say that our defeat on the only game on TV in the SEC Championship game against Alabama or how we lost to FSU had 1000 times the impact on recruiting than a mid day bowl game where we where three or four other bowl games were all nationally televised and sandwiched in between the bowl games that actually had status (playoffs the night before and BCS game that afternoon and night).
It's just opinion, but I can honestly say you're wrong.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's just opinion, but I can honestly say you're wrong.

I can honestly say you would have been right a decade ago, but kids have changed because the landscape has changed. But you are also saying that FSU's defeat of us was less important to instate recruiting than us losing to Michigan. Or the impact of the Alabama game had less of an impact than the tangerine bowl (or what ever it was called).

If it is "just opinion" then how am I "honestly wrong"?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That wasn't the quote. He thinks we have Bear Bryant. Not a coach that sometimes makes mistakes. I commented on the ridiculousness of the comment. You are bringing in things that don't have anything to do with us having Bear Bryant. I'm sure all coaches make mistakes yet not all coaches are Bear Bryant.

Rex, you are right, we don't have Bryant. We might have a decent coach, we might not... we don't know. Some returns have been good, some questionable... right now he has an incomplete.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Let me help you a bit here: it is actually "Smoking Mirrors". It could also be said that Ox tends to be a "Pre-Madonna". Amirite Rog,Law, Sas???
My advice would be to get with the program or be gone. Just a suggestion.

A word. FYI, for decades prior, the phrase was originally smoke and mirrors- reference to magic show technique. When used meaning illusion, distraction, same as now, only there was a context for the term being chosen based on something concrete.. Smoking mirrors is just some very recent corruption of it. I've been cringing for a few years reading the phrase smoking mirrors Wouldn't have said anything, but since you're correcting.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Rex, you are right, we don't have Bryant. We might have a decent coach, we might not... we don't know. Some returns have been good, some questionable... right now he has an incomplete.

I'm not saying he won't be good or great. It's just a little premature to say crazy stuff like that. I just want to get through Saturday afternoon lol. And I do think the kids that are interested in UF even in the slightest watch our bowl game...wouldn't you if you were thinking of going to UF for the next 4 years(with a brand new coach). It's disingenuous to think otherwise. But that's what good fans do...overemphasize the good and downplay the bad. I totally get it.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I've been cringing for a few years reading the phrase smoking mirrors Wouldn't have said anything, but since you're correcting.

"Irregardless, my best ideal for a weekend is watching alot of football. Supposably the Vaw-els are gonna loose."

This is the average cringe inducing stuff that comes out of East Tennessee mouths where I live...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying he won't be good or great. It's just a little premature to say crazy stuff like that. I just want to get through Saturday afternoon lol. And I do think the kids that are interested in UF even in the slightest watch our bowl game...wouldn't you if you were thinking of going to UF for the next 4 years(with a brand new coach). It's disingenuous to think otherwise. But that's what good fans do...overemphasize the good and downplay the bad. I totally get it.

I don't know what we have in McElwain, I like his offense. It's premature to call him great, just like it's premature to call him awful. I would agree that you would think that they might, but it was a 1 o'clock game after a party night. The bowl games outside of the majors have been losing interest (outside of fans of the two teams). I'm not saying it didn't factor, but I don't think it was as big of a factor as our game against FSU and Alabama. Just like our games against Tennessee and LSU were probably positives during the season, we for all purposes ended our season getting handled by the other P5 state university (USF and UCF are still mid majors in most people's minds) and getting handled by the best team in the nation as the only P5 game on TV. I think the problem is fans in our generation, who grew up with the bowl games being a big deal over emphasis them. I don't think kids care as much about the majority of bowls as we did, outside to the Playoffs and BCS.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
"Irregardless, my best ideal for a weekend is watching alot of football. Supposably the Vaw-els are gonna loose."

This is the average cringe inducing stuff that comes out of East Tennessee mouths where I live...

Yes and it is great! What part of ETN you live in?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A word. FYI, for decades prior, the phrase was originally smoke and mirrors- reference to magic show technique. When used meaning illusion, distraction, same as now, only there was a context for the term being chosen based on something concrete.. Smoking mirrors is just some very recent corruption of it. I've been cringing for a few years reading the phrase smoking mirrors Wouldn't have said anything, but since you're correcting.
Sorry Jenny, Albert was just poking fun at past discrepancies - swing and a miss!

destindon

Banned
BANNED
Sep 12, 2016
Was wondering how many players you can travel with the team in the SEC and how many you can dress. anyone know??
Is 60 the limit??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.