Do these awful "transition" (i.e. NIT) years warrant criticism for Billy Donovan?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think what Billy has done for our program is amazing. He could probably never go to the NCAA again in his career and would still be considered a great coach based on what he has done.to this point. Lets face it people still don't think of us as a basketball school even after two national titles and all the deep runs. In an era of one and dones these elite kids want to go to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and UNC along with the few powers that dedicate everything to basketball. With our recruiting usually bringing in guys that stay a while they need to get some experience to be on the same level as the freshman that Kentucky brings in. Last years group is a good example of this. I am not sure another coach could come here and duplicate the success he has had unless they turn us into a one and done factory where the guys know they just have to pass a few freshman classes for one semester before declaring.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n140363 said:
Some would say if a walk-on earns that much playing time then the coach could have done a better job recruiting.

Just playing devils advocate, but some walk ons should also not be walk ons they were undervalued during their recruiting season. Where would have the Gators Football team have been without Chris Doering in the 92-95 football season. That is exception, not the rule. But due to injuries and other factors sometimes walk ons have to step up and be more than we thought.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n140363 said:
Some would say if a walk-on earns that much playing time then the coach could have done a better job recruiting.
Some just like to stir the pot, others are just stupid.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n140343 said:
I disagree whole heartily with anyone that says Billy doesn't recruit one and dones. That's completely laughable. I can promise you every one of those guys has an offer from Billy.

Au contraire my friend...........................

https://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2014/order/true

In that link, it lists the top 150 players for the 2014 class. Only 2 of the top 10 were offered by Florida. This is normal, as Billy first has to vet each player to see if there is interest and then he has to determine if they could actually gain entrance to UF. He's not going to waste his time on kids who aren't interested in playing for him at Florida or who are not bright enough to attend UF. Currently for the 2015 class, nobody in the top 10 has an offer from Billy, and the class is full, if Allen and Stone eventually sign.

I don't think the NIT years can be pinned on any one thing, but the major issues were/are:
1. The 04s all left together, leaving an inexperienced group
2. We lost both Speights and Calathes much earlier than expected (and Lucas transferred because of Calathes' presence)
3. We're not in the NIT this year, but losing 4 senior starters is hard to overcome, though I expected the current bunch to do just that
4. Transfers, injuries, and just kids not being responsible (Harris) round out the other reasons that only magnified #'1-3.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What do you expect? This isn't even a Florida Gator basketball team. It's a UVA, Rutgers, Louisville, UF walk-on team.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n140424 said:
Au contraire my friend...........................

https://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2014/order/true

In that link, it lists the top 150 players for the 2014 class. Only 2 of the top 10 were offered by Florida. This is normal, as Billy first has to vet each player to see if there is interest and then he has to determine if they could actually gain entrance to UF. He's not going to waste his time on kids who aren't interested in playing for him at Florida or who are not bright enough to attend UF. Currently for the 2015 class, nobody in the top 10 has an offer from Billy, and the class is full, if Allen and Stone eventually sign.

I don't think the NIT years can be pinned on any one thing, but the major issues were/are:
1. The 04s all left together, leaving an inexperienced group
2. We lost both Speights and Calathes much earlier than expected (and Lucas transferred because of Calathes' presence)
3. We're not in the NIT this year, but losing 4 senior starters is hard to overcome, though I expected the current bunch to do just that
4. Transfers, injuries, and just kids not being responsible (Harris) round out the other reasons that only magnified #'1-3.
Ok but he gauges their interest. Same thing, he wants the best players possible is my point. He's not ruling players out because they're one and dones

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n140453 said:
Ok but he gauges their interest. Same thing, he wants the best players possible is my point. He's not ruling players out because they're one and dones

Agreed.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If you're looking to create traffic I would much prefer pictures of scantily clad chicks.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
t-gator;n140307 said:
The biggest problem is Kentucky is pulling in so many McDonald's all Americans there's a smaller pool to choose from and the two all Americans we did get kasey hill and Chris walker aren't as good as expected. There's also been some bad luck with injuries and eligibility issues. I think the year we signed Michael Frazier, Devon walker and Dillon Graham hurt us because we didn't sign a big man and the only player out of that class was Michael Frazier. I guess I'd say recruiting or recruiting errors during those good runs didn't set us up for the future maybe?

Agree completely, this is a bigger issue than many think IMO

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Yes he would like to have more one and done players. Our high academic requirements and his system that uses team play and defense is not to their tastes in many instances. We are not changing so coach is a great fit for our desires.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
oxrageous;n140312 said:
:lol: I knew it was only a matter of time.

What you just typed has nothing to do with the premise of the thread. We never seem to have any quality overlap in recruiting classes. There's also a difference between a "drop off" and a dumpster fire. I've heard multiple times that Donovan "is the best coach in the nation" and yet here we are again headed for the NIT for the 3rd time in 8 years.

Perhaps the biggest problem is simply that we're Florida. The elite blue-chippers would rather go to Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, etc. There really isn't much Donovan can do about that.

How does it have nothing to do with the thread? At least I don't make threads and Facebook ads guaranteeing Hugh Freeze is coming here... You asked if Donovan deserved criticism and I personally feel like he does not. I answered your question. He's done wonders at this school. You are correct about blue chippers going elsewhere. Florida simply does not have the big name draw that UK, UNC, and all the big time basketball schools have.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n140476 said:
At least I don't make threads and Facebook ads guaranteeing Hugh Freeze is coming here.
You want to spread another lie? That never happened and I don't appreciate it.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have lost 3 games that came down to the last possession of the game and lost AT KU by 6 when we have a HUGE halftime lead so we could easily be 10-2 or 11-1 but instead we are 7-5 and headed for the NIT. Step back from the ledge. We have some good players but they just haven't jelled together quite the right way and may not until later on in the year.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The system that Billy teaches, and demands, must not be as easy as we want it to be. All the parts on offense and defense have to work together to be successful...and obviously they are not right now. Last year is evidence that even if you are missing starters, the team can be successful if everyone executes their role. I see a lot of errors being made, a lot of tightness in several players, and a lot of missed open shots. Effort has not been an issue. So, if they can come together, relax, and play as a team, we can still accomplish something this season.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
One player can make a major difference to the season's outcome and we simply do not have a "go to" guy. I had hope that Frazier would develop into that guy but it hasn't happened. Billy has struggled getting some of the top players but it's not him...it's that we aren't considered in the same vein as UK, UNC, Duke, etc.. This season appears to be a classic rebuilding year and we're just going to have to hope these kids continue to develop and are better off for it next season. Billy is widely considered the best in the business by his peers, but he's not perfect.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
oxrageous;n140312 said:
:lol: I knew it was only a matter of time.

What you just typed has nothing to do with the premise of the thread. We never seem to have any quality overlap in recruiting classes. There's also a difference between a "drop off" and a dumpster fire. I've heard multiple times that Donovan "is the best coach in the nation" and yet here we are again headed for the NIT for the 3rd time in 8 years.

Perhaps the biggest problem is simply that we're Florida. The elite blue-chippers would rather go to Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, etc. There really isn't much Donovan can do about that.

I think that is the single biggest reason Billy has trouble maintaining consistency. Add to that the number of times we've seen someone screw up and get suspended, or transfer out because they find out they aren't entitled to immediate PT, and it's difficult to maintain a deep bench.

I agree no coach is infallible, but I'm fairly sure the last time Billy was guilty of "mailing it in," he was 19 or 20 at Providence.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ok, no Johnny Walker but glass of white wine. Does the coach (recently named the best coach in college ball) deserve criticism for his slumps after successful teams? Hey, I dont know about you but I deserve many things I dont get. But I digress. Once again here is the deal: in many team sports there is a thing called chemistry. And this is more so in BB because you only have five at a time playing together and up to ten really contributing at game time. We do not have it yet obviously because 1. Mostly new guys and 2. all the disruptions with injuries and other things. I see young and potential talent all over the place but BD and past success proves that team work, def and team chemistry can make the sum of the parts superior to superstar lead teams. His final four team last year lost three games to only 1. the National Champs and 2. another final four team. This with a team of NO NBA draftees or close to playing in the nba soon. Beat a team absolutely LOADED with nba talent three times. So soon after his two NCAA titles in a row he has 3 had elite 8s and then a final four. Boys and girls that is the sign of a REAL coach and a basketball school. 99% of the others would love to have that recent history. Bitccch about this guy if you want but he is the REAL fckn Deal. like I heard many many years ago, the sun dont shine on one dogs behind all the time. These guys will either get it or he will look to the bench or future recruits. Something is going on with him and Horford and it hurt us last night.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Billy is as perfect as it gets for a hoops coach. You want one and dones, root for the Calimaris. :lol:

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, I see what you are saying but I don't think he warrants criticism because if you follow Gator basketball closely you will know that this team has talent. However, for whatever reason we can't seem to catch a break right now. Granted, I haven't read the entire thread so I am not sure if anybody brought this up but we only played with half of our players until recently. Lets go back to the start of the season shall we?

D Walker-hurt in summer workouts/out for the season
C Walker- suspended first 3 games
Eli Carter-injured yet again (Mr. Glass man?)
A. Murphy-finally get to play in his second game
Brandon Francis-academically not allowed to play this year
Egbunu-transfer into program and will be available next year
Graham-transfer out of the program

^^^That right there is a nice seven man rotation by itse)lf. I mean it is mind boggling to think about the adversity this team had to deal with so far. That is why I am crossing my fingers that our team starts to click as the year goes on and the new pieces will fill out the roster for next year. If things go according to plan we will be running the system Billy D ran back in 2000 (Calapari tried to brand it this year to the media and term it the "platoon" system...sorry but this isn't anything new).

Next year our roster will have

Team 1
G K. Hill
G M. Frazier
F D. Robinson
F DFS
C C Walker

Team 2
G Chris. C
G Eli Carter
F D. Walker
F N. Dickerson
C Egbunu

Team 3 (just for kicks and giggles...yes we will be that deep...not sure how the scholarships will work out though)
G KeVaughn Allen
G
F Keith Stone
F Kevarrius Hayes
C S Rimmer

I think the only player we are losing will be Hordord. I don't see DFS, Frazier, C Walker nor Kasey leaving next year. Again, we will be one of the deepest teams in the country and ready to compete at a high level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.