Founding Member
in before sent to solitary confinement

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
... depends on which way Mac is facing.??

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
The program that is. I have concerns that he's not the right guy given his wins at CSU were against teams that won 35% of their games and he was 4-11 vs teams with winning record and we're seeing the same here. What can he do to fix it? Hire better staff? Recruit better?
Recruit better

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
My core question has been and continues to be, what exactly has he turned around so far? So far I really see little to nothing that indicates much has changed. I think we will all agree the staff largely blows, some are completely incompetent while others are just mediocre. Recruiting has been poor. Game management had been poor to awful. In-game adjustment seems non-existent. Offense, which he was brought in ostensibly to correct, has looked just as impotent as it did under Chump. This team is really no different, identity wise, than the Chump years. Hee Haw's record against ranked teams is quite telling as well.

So will Hee Haw turn it around? I am very doubtful. Most good to great coaches have the program trending up by year 2, even if they aren't winning a national championship, everybody generally recognizes progress is being made all over the place. Even the pumpers around here really don't point to any progress (there isn't any to point to), they just keep saying he needs more time. If he doesn't pull in a top 5 class this year I think his fate is sealed, and given his poor track record on recruiting I am not optimistic.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My core question has been and continues to be, what exactly has he turned around so far? So far I really see little to nothing that indicates much has changed. I think we will all agree the staff largely blows, some are completely incompetent while others are just mediocre. Recruiting has been poor. Game management had been poor to awful. In-game adjustment seems non-existent. Offense, which he was brought in ostensibly to correct, has looked just as impotent as it did under Chump. This team is really no different, identity wise, than the Chump years. Hee Haw's record against ranked teams is quite telling as well.

So will Hee Haw turn it around? I am very doubtful. Most good to great coaches have the program trending up by year 2, even if they aren't winning a national championship, everybody generally recognizes progress is being made all over the place. Even the pumpers around here really don't point to any progress (there isn't any to point to), they just keep saying he needs more time. If he doesn't pull in a top 5 class this year I think his fate is sealed, and given his poor track record on recruiting I am not optimistic.

Good points. The only time I can remember it appeared Mac and his coordinators were truly outcoaching/outscheming another good team on offense was the first half of that Ole Miss game. How many good teams have we played and he has only really outcoached the other team while on offense in one half of a football game? I guess you could give him the 1st half of the Tenn game this season but Tenn self destructing was the biggest part of that. That Tenn game ending last season was just wing it football and not the result of coaching. His recruiting has been sub par also on top of the other things.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
What's perplexing to me is that last year showed a lot of promise, winning an SEC East title with the train wreck of a roster (primarily on offense) that was dumped on them. This year, we aren't seeing the improvement we should expect from an established system and roster upgrades.

Last year I thought the 3 game crash and burn was understandable given the big picture. This year, I can't argue against the Debbie Downers.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What's perplexing to me is that last year showed a lot of promise, winning an SEC East title with the train wreck of a roster (primarily on offense) that was dumped on them. This year, we aren't seeing the improvement we should expect from an established system and roster upgrades.

Last year I thought the 3 game crash and burn was understandable given the big picture. This year, I can't argue against the Debbie Downers.

I know its all about winning but if you think about it even with a sub par roster they underperformed last season production wise. We were going down to the wire with the Vandys and FAUs of college football. I think we are finding out that our wish it was 99% on Treon isn't true at all and this offense is just too predictable and isn't talented enough to overcome that. We didn't even pull away from UMass and N Texas until the 4th quarter with our offense looking like crap again.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I know its all about winning but if you think about it even with a sub par roster they underperformed last season production wise. We were going down to the wire with the Vandys and FAUs of college football. I think we are finding out that our wish it was 99% on Treon isn't true at all and this offense is just too predictable and isn't talented enough to overcome that. We didn't even pull away from UMass and N Texas until the 4th quarter with our offense looking like crap again.

True, but we had reason to believe that as we watched WRs running loose while TH lacked the vision (height), time and accuracy to find the open guy.

Last edited:

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
TLDR; Mac has another 1.5 years regarding our coaching history. Winning has infected the Gator Populace... we were winners if not for the Redskins and being a ****** who went home.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015

We showed no promise last year. We won 10 games against a bunch of terrible teams. Some of which we very easily could have lost and some we should have. Quit acting like it was Mac who won those games for us. The year before with a terrible coach we were in the same situations we could have won but lost. This team is not very good and it starts with recruiting, something Mac is terrible at. We haven't had this bad of a recruiting coach in 20+ years and you don't all of a sudden start recruiting good. You either can or can't. He's garbage!!

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
All the above has been obvious now for so long now I identify Mac as a Mountain West coach who got lucky and is now on the big stage, overpaid and in over his head. The most telling fact for me is his total inability to make half-time adjustments which dooms the team to 2nd half failure when playing a real team with real coaches who do make those adjustments. If Mac has any reason to be the head corch of the Gators it's time to show it. Lousy recruiting, crap game-day coaching, lazy play, athletes not in top condition, no motivation and no adjustments will buy us a lot of losses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator