Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alright I need 3 doors replaced on the house. One is the garage side entry door which is a standard size that will need new hardware and lock/bolt, frame and threshold. The second is a double French style patio door but is custom size, 96X72 with grilles in the glass again it needs the hardware/bolt/lock/frame and threshold. The 3rd is a smaller single patio door leading from the south side master to the pool. It is narrow and maybe 28X84 with grilles in the glass also plus all the extra stuff.

So I called a local door and window company to give me a price.....$2,300 for the garage....$2,600 for the small patio door and $5,600 for the custom double French door.

Am I just out of touch with reality or does it really cost $10,500 for 3 f vcking doors these days. The scary part is that there are 5 more double French doors around the patio that will need to be replaced probably with the next few years. Has anyone had custom doors done in the recent past?

Detroitgator

Top-notch Сasual Dating - Real Women
Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Alright I need 3 doors replaced on the house. One is the garage side entry door which is a standard size that will need new hardware and lock/bolt, frame and threshold. The second is a double French style patio door but is custom size, 96X72 with grilles in the glass again it needs the hardware/bolt/lock/frame and threshold. The 3rd is a smaller single patio door leading from the south side master to the pool. It is narrow and maybe 28X84 with grilles in the glass also plus all the extra stuff.

So I called a local door and window company to give me a price.....$2,300 for the garage....$2,600 for the small patio door and $5,600 for the custom double French door.

Am I just out of touch with reality or does it really cost $10,500 for 3 f vcking doors these days. The scary part is that there are 5 more double French doors around the patio that will need to be replaced probably with the next few years. Has anyone had custom doors done in the recent past?
Is it all impact/hurricane stuff? It’s expensive to do doors and windows in Florida… all the permitting/inspection crap too

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Price the doors and hire a handyman to install. Not exactly the most difficult task that would need specialized experience.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Price the doors and hire a handyman to install. Not exactly the most difficult task that would need specialized experience.
Sometimes, I think Crete is the kind of guy who would say, "**** inspectors and code schit!" and other times, I don't.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Has to be inspected and it's kinda hard to get prices on custom sized doors as they have to be built not to mention if they're installed by someone the manu doesn't know you will be SOL on any kind of warranty.

The last time I had a handyman install a door on one of my rentals(sliding glass door)I had to pay an actual door installer to come out and reinstall the door because the dumbass handyman put it in backward and the rain weep holes let water into the house ruining the floor....:suicide:
Sometimes, I think Crete is the kind of guy who would say, "**** inspectors and code schit!" and other times, I don't.
:exactly:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Is it all impact/hurricane stuff? It’s expensive to do doors and windows in Florida… all the permitting/inspection crap too
That's all you can buy....I get that it's expensive but there are 6 of those double french doors on the back of the house.....that's $33,000....That's nearly what I paid for my Tundra, a brand new truck and in fact I bought my GT500 for that much out the door.....they're f vcking doors...wtf

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That's all you can buy....I get that it's expensive but there are 6 of those double french doors on the back of the house.....that's $33,000....That's nearly what I paid for my Tundra, a brand new truck and in fact I bought my GT500 for that much out the door.....they're f vcking doors...wtf
yeah, 33 windows (very high impact... not just hurricane type, but almost impossible to bust) and two not so fancy looking (but almost impossible to bust) doors done right/to code was $39K for us in 2015.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Has to be inspected and it's kinda hard to get prices on custom sized doors as they have to be built not to mention if they're installed by someone the manu doesn't know you will be SOL on any kind of warranty.

The last time I had a handyman install a door on one of my rentals(sliding glass door)I had to pay an actual door installer to come out and reinstall the door because the dumbass handyman put it in backward and the rain weep holes let water into the house ruining the floor....:suicide:

:exactly:
Why would doors have to be inspected? Is it due to the overall cost of the project or something else?

FWIW, I used to work with/for my FIL who was a General Contractor so I've hung quite a few doors and windows in my day. They aren't really that difficult.

Is this install something that you could do yourself? If so, that would potentially save you quite a bit of $$ and like I said, it isn't really that difficult.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Why would doors have to be inspected? Is it due to the overall cost of the project or something else?
This isn't Bama but try to follow along.....ANY exterior door in the state of Florida requires a permit and has to meet new requirements.

Custom doors have to be built....They have to be installed by a certified installer for warranty purposes from the manufacture to validate that warranty and the contractor has to pull a permit.

If someone hangs 40K worth of doors on their house don't you think it would be nice to have a warranty for your piece of mind and proof that the doors have been replaced to any prospective buyers, let alone hold up the sale when an inspector notices new doors but no record of permits, when trying to sell said house?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
This isn't Bama but try to follow along.....ANY exterior door in the state of Florida requires a permit and has to meet new requirements.

Custom doors have to be built....They have to be installed by a certified installer for warranty purposes from the manufacture to validate that warranty and the contractor has to pull a permit.

If someone hangs 40K worth of doors on their house don't you think it would be nice to have a warranty for your piece of mind and proof that the doors have been replaced to any prospective buyers, let alone hold up the sale when an inspector notices new doors but no record of permits, when trying to sell said house?
This is why I was REALLY glad I bought Squirrel Ranch in Alabama... I increased the size of my pond by about a 3rd and built my barn (with bathroom, finished living space, underground shelter... but "my guy" did do wiring/plumbing and most things to code, just without the cost, all the solar schit...) without asking permission from anyone. When they discovered that by google earth 4 years later, I begged for forgiveness and they said, "OK" and just increased my property tax by about a nickel (relatively speaking).... had I done that in Florida, I probably would have had to tear the barn down, restore the pond, and probably have gone to jail for 18 months. FTR - it has survived two hurricanes just fine.

Again, for my house in FL, 33 windows/2 doors, all the stuff you mentioned, $39K (but was able to nitpick that down about $5K for minor imperfections that I was an ******* about :lol: )

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Update: Wife says our next door neighbor just did exterior garage door, front door, and i think sliding doors to pool for $20somethingK

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
All I know is that in the last 5 years this house has cost so much money(seawall 70k, recondition tile roof 20K, replumb 18K, septic and landscape replacement 15k, partial rewire 5k and will need another 200k-250k to renovate and update before selling. I really don't want any little pissant BS holding it up when we decide to get rid of the "Lake Tax Inn"....

It's no wonder I haven't been able to buy a new Corvette yet...:lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
F vck...I forgot all about the windows...
I have an assload of windows obviously, and remember, that was $39K EIGHT years ago!!!

I think you are screwed on doors, but I think there is a loophole rule on windows if you do no more than 23% of them at a time, but who in da fuk is going to do it that way over the course of 4-5 years?

Another hint, and I think they look kinda weird but it might be a cheaper route for the windows, we went with a more traditional (and thus complicated) window style that opens and all that. My other neighbor (Cranky Carl) replaced all his "traditional" windows with single pane/piece windows. Like I said, I think it looks a little weird, but might be cheaper.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Zero permits applied for, zero fuks given... God bless the Bammers! 'Murica!!!!
004.JPG
001.JPG

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Zero permits applied for, zero fuks given... God bless the Bammers! 'Murica!!!!
View attachment 61721
View attachment 61722
Yes God Bless the Bammers but watch out for their cousins...
Deliverance GIF

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Thank God my next build will be in Wyoming. Need a well permit, septic permit and inspection and engineer stamped plans...that's all!

But it is still reasonably inexpensive for doors here in Colorado - no inspections or permits required.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Mrs. Nalt and I built our home about 21 years ago. Roughly 6800 sq. feet and the only permit/inspection that we had to worry about was for the septic tank and field lines. Glad I don't live an some Commie state like Florida... :whistle:
Were glad you don't live here either....wobbly boxes are becoming a thing of the past in Florida...
1694470342081.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.