Easy Dinners

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The dinner time thread is meant to show off, when you bring your A game. I don’t want to take away from that thread.

However, 90% of the time we’re not eating Venison stakes with a red wine reduction, or paella that’s been simmering for 2 hours

I want to start a thread of easy meals, that don’t suck, that we can whip up after a busy work day.

My go to meals: mix yellow rice, the Publix deli salsa (the fresh stuff, not Pace or El Paso), black beans, and a protein (I prefer shrimp). Throw on some cheese, sour cream, and jalapeños and/or cilantro. It’s good stuff.

I also keep a rotisserie chicken in the fridge to pull from throughout the week. Quesadilla or Chicken Caesar salad (ever put tobasco sauce on a Caesar, so good)

Final one. Boar’s head roast beef on a skillet w/ peepers and onions, mix in some cheese on a hoagie is a great Philly.

But, I’m bored with these. What are your easy go to easy meals that don’t suck.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The dinner time thread is meant to show off, when you bring your A game. I don’t want to take away from that thread.

However, 90% of the time we’re not eating Venison stakes with a red wine reduction, or paella that’s been simmering for 2 hours

I want to start a thread of easy meals, that don’t suck, that we can whip up after a busy work day.

My go to meals: mix yellow rice, the Publix deli salsa (the fresh stuff, not Pace or El Paso), black beans, and a protein (I prefer shrimp). Throw on some cheese, sour cream, and jalapeños and/or cilantro. It’s good stuff.

I also keep a rotisserie chicken in the fridge to pull from throughout the week. Quesadilla or Chicken Caesar salad (ever put tobasco sauce on a Caesar, so good)

Final one. Boar’s head roast beef on a skillet w/ peepers and onions, mix in some cheese on a hoagie is a great Philly.

But, I’m bored with these. What are your easy go to easy meals that don’t suck.
First off, it’s Steaks, not Stakes. Secondly, who sooks with Peepers? Or are you the Peeper? Finally, the gloriousness of the other thread, and not this lame ass thread w/ Publix brand schit, that’s only available in certain parts of the country, is that almost all of that other thread IS EASY COOKING!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Who are these people?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
First off, it’s Steaks, not Stakes. Secondly, who sooks with Peepers? Or are you the Peeper? Finally, the gloriousness of the other thread, and not this lame ass thread w/ Publix brand schit, that’s only available in certain parts of the country, is that almost all of that other thread IS EASY COOKING!

Are you going through menopause?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cowboy stew is my go to, easy to prepare but needs to simmer about a hour to really get the flavors to marry.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My wife keeps a batch of ground beef with taco seasoning in the fridge and I use it for breakfast tacos with eggs and for supper tacos or nachos. Quick and yummy

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Here’s an easy meal for you: eat my nutz

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015

“D’is ain’t no recipe I ever seen, I’ll guar-on-tee!”

Greatest cooking show ever. I still remember his blackening recipe. A cup of salt, black pepper, red pepper and white pepper. Add a cup of garlic if you are city boy ;)

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
90% of the time we’re not eating Venison stakes with a red wine reduction
Here's a good one for an easy dinner: steak with red wine reduction.

Sear the steaks in a stainless steel pan. Pull them off and either set them on a cutting board to rest (tented in foil is best) or put them in the oven for a few minutes first if you don't like them bloody.

Pour red wine into the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape the fond off the pan. Simmer for a few minutes to reduce, turn down the heat, then mix in some cream and butter.

This should take 15 minutes and you only need to buy steak and cream assuming you have S&P, oil, butter and red wine on hand.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a good one for an easy dinner: steak with red wine reduction.

Sear the steaks in a stainless steel pan. Pull them off and either set them on a cutting board to rest (tented in foil is best) or put them in the oven for a few minutes first if you don't like them bloody.

Pour red wine into the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape the fond off the pan. Simmer for a few minutes to reduce, turn down the heat, then mix in some cream and butter.

This should take 15 minutes and you only need to buy steak and cream assuming you have S&P, oil, butter and red wine on hand.
Hey, you’re not that Married a Gator guy using an alias are you?

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Next we’re going to have a VR food prep thread.

Clash of Chefs VR – Quest, PC VR

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, the trick to making quick and simple stuff delicious is doing the little extras.

Boil a pot of spaghetti and pour in some sauce out of a jar and you have a meal.

But if you save a little of the starchy pasta water, pull the pasta while it is still a little firm, pour a generous amount of olive oil in the bottom of the pot, add some crushed garlic (even the kind from the toothpaste tube), heat it up for a few seconds until it is fragrant, then add a decent quality jarred sauce, fresh cracked black pepper and some fresh minced herbs (basil, parsley, or both), then toss the drained pasta back into the pot, add a little of the pasta water if needed, then plate with some real grated romano or parmesan (pro tip, cheap romano is better than cheap parmesan), then you have a decent meal.

The amount of work is nearly the same. The amount of time is nearly the same. The quality of your final product is much improved.

Want to elevate it even more? You can add a little crushed red pepper and/or some anchovy paste (the kind out of a toothpaste tube will do, no it won't taste fishy) to the olive oil before you add the garlic.

Is it better to make your own sauce from scratch and freeze it? Of course, but not everybody plans ahead. This is quick and easy.

Somebody earlier mentioned making a pan sauce. It's a no-brainer. This doesn't take much more work than simply pan-frying your chicken or pork or steak.

You can freeze leftover wine and chicken stock in ice cube trays. Pull the meat out (heh heh) and use a couple of cubes to deglaze the pan, let it reduce, add some fresh herbs (thyme is always a solid choice), finish with cream or butter. Depending on the protein you've chosen, you can brighten the pan sauce with lemon juice and add rinsed capers (like a piccata), or add green peppercorns (like au poivre), or sauté mushrooms or shallots before you deglaze, etc. Yes, a little more effort, but not that much (no extra dirty dishes) and it really elevates your dish. Plus, the sauce helps cover up any mistakes like overcooking your meat.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.