Easy Dinners

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Boil a pot of spaghetti and pour in some sauce out of a jar and you have a meal.
Great tips.

I would add that there's an enormous difference between fresh and dried pasta and between fresh and jarred sauce, even if it's store bought.

Plus since we're talking quick, the fresh pasta cooks in a couple of minutes rather than 10.

As for brands, I prefer Rana over Buitoni. You can do better if you stop by an Italian deli/specialty store. Not sure what they sell in @NVGator's grocery store.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great tips.

I would add that there's an enormous difference between fresh and dried pasta and between fresh and jarred sauce, even if it's store bought.

Plus since we're talking quick, the fresh pasta cooks in a couple of minutes rather than 10.

As for brands, I prefer Rana over Buitoni. You can do better if you stop by an Italian deli/specialty store. Not sure what they sell in @NVGator's grocery store.
Ragu. It’s simple. So is Hamburger Helper and Manwhich. You could go big time and mix some Success Boil Bags of rice w/ Little green peas.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Ragu. It’s simple. So is Hamburger Helper and Manwhich. You could go big time and mix some Success Boil Bags of rice w/ Little green peas.
Open a can of Hormel chili, pour it in a pot and heat it up. Some saltines, shredded cheddar, diced onions, and lots of hot sauce and presto!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.webp

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
This is Seedy’s go-to lunch or dinner if I’m not cooking. He’s started adding chicken, carrots, broccoli and extra noodles. a dollop of chicken better than bullion and some water and it’s a meal for two.

upload_2022-2-1_8-23-44.jpeg

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I take some frozen shrimp, scallops, and fish, throw it in a pot of boiling water with some rice and old bay or swamp seasoning.

Scoop it out, add a can of beans and it’s a poor mann’s gumbo.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Easy meal...... Meatball Hash Brown Bake

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Simple Recipe. Pretty sure I stole it from @Concrete Helmet

Start with a cheap styrofoam cooler. The kind you get at a Kwikee Mart off the highway.

Slowly and carefully add one pre-cooled 12 pack of "Big Blue" (that would be Bud Light to the uninitiated).

Now you need a couple of 8-10 pound bags of ice cubes. Again, the kind you get at the Kwikee Mart, not the ones from your home freezer.
If the bags are locked up, drop them on the sidewalk to break them up first.

Now add as much ice as you can to the cooler, being careful to get ice all the way to the bottom but not so high that you can't securely close the cooler lid.

The order is important. Do not deviate from the instructions and try to put the ice in first (classic rookie mistake).

If you're in Florida (as you should be), the ice will already be melty and despite pre-cooling your beer, you'll rapidly have enough slush to ensure good contact with the cans.

If you live somewhere cold...I dunno, make yourself a hot toddy. This recipe ain't for you.

After a few minutes, jiggle the cooler a little bit to help the melting ice settle (careful not to disturb the beer itself, just to settle the ice), then top of with more ice (again, careful not to overfill). Now securely place the lid on your cooler.

Your beer is now ice cold and ready to drink and as long as you try to keep the lid on when not actually in the act of retrieving another beer to consume, it should keep all 12 of your beers ready to go until all have been consumed. Unless you're a Seminole or a b!tch (but I repeat myself) in which case you might want to start with 2 beers (or seltzers, whatever) and a third bag of ice. Also, if you're tailgating in Tallahassee, you'll want to purchase your ice before you get to Leon county. There's always the chance they'll run out of ice and I'm not sure any of them can remember the recipe to make more ice. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy!

Follow me for more fantastic recipes like this!

Alex.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Start with a cheap styrofoam cooler. The kind you get at a Kwikee Mart off the highway.

Slowly and carefully add one pre-cooled 12 pack of "Big Blue" (that would be Bud Light to the uninitiated).

Now you need a couple of 8-10 pound bags of ice cubes. Again, the kind you get at the Kwikee Mart, not the ones from your home freezer.

Now add as much ice as you can to the cooler, being careful to get ice all the way to the bottom but not so high that you can't securely close the cooler lid.

The order is important. Do not deviate from the instructions and try to put the ice in first (classic rookie mistake).

If you're in Florida (as you should be), the ice will already be melty and despite pre-cooling your beer, you'll rapidly have enough slush to ensure good contact with the cans.

If you live somewhere cold...I dunno, make yourself a hot toddy. This recipe ain't for you.

After a few minutes, jiggle the cooler a little bit to help the melting ice settle, then top of with more ice (again, careful not to overfill). Now securely place the lid on your cooler.

Your beer is now ice cold and ready to drink and as long as you try to keep the lid on when not actually in the act of retrieving another beer to consume, it should keep all 12 of your beers ready to go until all have been consumed. Unless you're a Seminole or a b!tch (but I repeat myself) in which case you might want to start with 2 beers (or seltzers, whatever) and a third bag of ice. Also, if you're tailgating in Tallahassee, you'll want to purchase your ice before you get to Leon county. There's always the chance they'll run out of ice and I'm not sure any of them can remember the recipe to make more ice. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy!

Alex.

Someone once said 'there's a sammich in every beer.'

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

After a few minutes, jiggle the cooler a little bit to help the melting ice settle, then top of with more ice (again, careful not to overfill). Now securely place the lid on your cooler.

Enjoy!

Alex.
Oh I've got this down to an art....It's all about the right portion of water to ice.....give me 15 minutes and a decent sized cooler and I can make some room temp Bud Light give you ice cream headaches...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Oh I've got this down to an art....It's all about the right portion of water to ice.....give me 15 minutes and a decent sized cooler and I can make some room temp Bud Light give you ice cream headaches...

Yeah, there's a real art to making piss beer cold and tasteless enough to be tolerable :lol:

Alex.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Speaking of easy dinners here's what's left of mine from tonight....Asian Chili spicy BBQ and cilantro rubbed Pork Loin...served with a pan sauce from chardonay, pan drippings, demi glace, dijon mustard and creamed with whole butter....
IMG_1749.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Great tips.

Correct on all points. I’ll also add that a basic tomato sauce can be made from scratch in about 20 min. I do it almost every Sunday. As you said, boiling dried pasta is approximately 10 min, so with 5 minutes of prep and the total cook time,
it’s maybe 25 minutes total. So the difference of 15 minutes gets you homemade sauce. Easy decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator