Edward Aschoff picks Florida to win Basketball National Title

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
There is no question they will be a headache to guard as we have so many guys who can stretch the floor. I think a deep run in the tournament depends on 1) how well they defend and 2) the inside game/depth issue we have there. Egbunu needs to be healthy and the interior defender we need to make a run. If they start playing D like they did last year, watch out.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Kiss of death.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Well, I don't know what the main opinion hear is, but I really think not having Hill's inconsistency may help. Even if a guy can't hit his highs, if he can avoid Hill's lows, we should be fine. I liked Hill, but hopefully, you guys see what I'm saying.

Oh and having Egbunu back in January will be massive for us.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Kiss of death.
I don't view it as a "kiss of death" but rather recognition of where our program seems to be heading. Any positive notices are good for the brand and for recruiting. As far as winning the NC is concerned, I never have that expectation as there are too many variables. The Final Four would be an awesome accomplishment for this team and of course, beating Kentucky would be great also.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
UF is certainly in the conversation but on the outside fringe of the conversation to win it all this year. Considering that in 2006, UF was not even ranked pre-season, this is a good thing.

I think UF has all the pieces for a run, IF Mike White will play the pieces:

PG: UF has a solid PG IF Chiozza builds on last season rather than regress as he did in his Soph after have a big game. Allen has shown the last couple of exhibitions with Chiozza out that he can handle the backup spot.

SG: In Allen and Hudson UF has good skill, depth and size. My one worry in the exhibition games is that Hudson seems to want to pick up the slack and commit all the live ball turnovers UF lost with Hill leaving.

SF: Koulechov is off to a good shooting start from the arc. His rebound is ok so far, but he needs to be a consistent rebounder from the 3. Stone can pick up the other minutes here as he has the range for SF and allows UF to go big.

PF/C: UF can go two real bigs ala Horford and Noah with Hayes, Bassett, Gak and Egbunu when he is healthy. Stone too can contribute here and brings good skill to this position.

So UF has all the positions covered with good experienced players. I worry Mike White might be in love with the idea of 3 or even 4 guard lineups. While 3 guard lineups can win you lots of regular season games, I worry that they won't win the tourney. So I hope to see UF use regular lineups and even going big from time to time.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm looking forward to the season starting. I hate the preseason hype. Every year creates a need to redefine who you are as a team. I hope they gel early and put themselves in a position to continually improve throughout the year. I like our roster, but we'll need leaders and to stay healthy and out of trouble.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We're going to be able to score in big ole bunches. Can't wait for Eggy to make it back from his injury.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I'm looking forward to the season starting. I hate the preseason hype. Every year creates a need to redefine who you are as a team. I hope they gel early and put themselves in a position to continually improve throughout the year. I like our roster, but we'll need leaders and to stay healthy and out of trouble.

We will know pretty soon where this team is now. The Phil Knight event should tell us a lot.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Egbunu returns to the court by January, he'll have about 25 games to smooth into place. His teammates will all be "on-board" helping him put. And by our several inside-guys getting so much playing time depending on themselves, we should be in great shape i.e. when one seems off or dominated by a particular big-man opponent or foul-trouble, we can stick in another well experienced big.

Basketball can have negative surprises: a nagging minor injury, unfair refs, a couple of outlandish 3-point shooting guards with the home crowd pumping them up, etc. So, we all have to wait to see how our Gators adjust.{ see how better sounds "wait to see" vs "wait and see"? waiting and seeing are not separate independent thoughts.:facepalm:}

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta see how the season plays out and hope we don't have any major injuries. We have to hope that we can get hot at the right time again like last year. All depends on how the bracket breaks too. We should be inline for a top 4 see though. Go Gators!!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We're going to be able to score in big ole bunches. Can't wait for Eggy to make it back from his injury.

Agreed.
With Egbunu, we may have won it all last year.
Although Casey Hill would have probably missed a key layup in the final anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator