ESPN's "Post-signing day SEC position ranks

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett blocks like Helen Keller....if a defensive player runs into him, maybe he will grope at him for a moment before losing him, at best.

Yea his blocking leaves a lot to be desired. As a Jr this year I would hope it's much better.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yea his blocking leaves a lot to be desired. As a Jr this year I would hope it's much better.

He has never been one to shy away from contact, so it isn't a desire issue or one of being soft. Maybe it's just something he needs to practice more.
Taylor lost reps as an underclassmen due to protection as well, and ended up doing a good job with it in 15'.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
How do you see holes when the OL doesn't create holes :scratchhead:

I guess I just have more appreciation for the year he had behind a subpar OL.

He was no different when it came to that when we were playing the easy early opponents. If he got better at that with how heavy he runs he would be a major force.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
He was no different when it came to that when we were playing the easy early opponents. If he got better at that with how heavy he runs he would be a major force.

Our OL was below average even against the cupcakes lol. But I do understand what you're saying. I am a huge JS fan (probably favorite player right now) and am buying his stock. I think he blows up this year.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Our OL was below average even against the cupcakes lol. But I do understand what you're saying. I am a huge JS fan (probably favorite player right now) and am buying his stock. I think he blows up this year.

I hope you're right, but I have a feeling Perine may pass him up. Perine has great hands and can be very effective out of the backfield as another option to throw to. I don't think Scarlett catches very well. I hope one of them can put it all together this year and be a true feature back.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I hope you're right, but I have a feeling Perine may pass him up. Perine has great hands and can be very effective out of the backfield as another option to throw to. I don't think Scarlett catches very well. I hope one of them can put it all together this year and be a true feature back.

I like Perine too but I don't think there's anyway this happens. Scarlett is too good of a runner IMO. Time will tell :)

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Chubb isn't the same runner post injury. That's a fact.

Pre-injury Chubb was a first round talent. Not so much anymore.
It usually takes athletes 2 years to mentally recover from ACL injuries. Lot's of doubt in that Knee. Even then he ran for 1100 yards behind a porous OL. Him and Scarllet had about the same years. Overall Chubb is a better RB when you include, vision, pass blocking and overall ability to hit a HR at anytime. In their careers Chubb has 19 runs of 20+ yds. Scarlett has 6. Since returning from his ACL injury Chubb has 4 against a tougher schedule while Scarlett has 4 as well. It's not even up for debate. Chubb>Scarlett

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It usually takes athletes 2 years to mentally recover from ACL injuries. Lot's of doubt in that Knee. Even then he ran for 1100 yards behind a porous OL. Him and Scarllet had about the same years. Overall Chubb is a better RB when you include, vision, pass blocking and overall ability to hit a HR at anytime. In their careers Chubb has 19 runs of 20+ yds. Scarlett has 6. Since returning from his ACL injury Chubb has 4 against a tougher schedule while Scarlett has 4 as well. It's not even up for debate. Chubb>Scarlett

Well I take your opinion with a grain of salt considering you are never positive about our guys.

That said, don't forget Scarlett split reps with 3 guys early in the season vs our lesser competition and we also missed our late season scrub that he would have gashed. These two facts impact Scarlett's numbers greatly.

As for 20+ yard runs, of course Chubb has more, but he also has had a lot more carries :lol:. I'd like to see their career rushing attempts total side-by-side--just looked, it's 535 to 213 :lol2:

I'd like to see comparison vs common opponents, anybody have time to pull that?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I hope you are right.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I'm glad LF7 went pro, as I thought he was a beast when he entered the league. But I'll take that opinion down a few notches given Guice was the better back this year.

Scarboro will be a beast this year, given whatever magic juice they feed him and the OL he has blocking (and the running QB that can also take attention off him).

For UF, I like Scarlett and Perine, but not elite. Not even great. Just good. I love them for what they did in our offensive scheme (Nuss/OL), and give credit where it was earned. But even if our OL does better this year, at best I expect enough good runs to open up the passing game and create a balanced offense. Overall that would improve the numbers for the RBs and the QB/WRs, but even with improved numbers I'm not seeing a great back.

Webb....that one burns a bit. I get that he wasn't a great back, so we passed on him. But to have a guy so close to home turn around and run over us each year. Bah...if the D can figure out how to contain him for the whole game, Vandy has no offense and Webb is another Vandy footnote. But we gotta shut him down - he's not elite, or great. I'd put him around good-to-serviceable. We just make him look better.

Errict Rhett - #1 rusher in UF history, key player on the first SEC championship teams, decent if brief NFL career - yet no one would put him on par with Emmitt, Fred and probably several others. Does he even rate top 5? Which underscores your point - a solid, dependable RB can be key to a passing offense.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The problem with Scarlett is he is a 10 at breaking tackles but maybe a 2 at seeing those quick holes that only open for a split second. Maybe he needs his side vision checked out. That might explain him standing there like he is lost with a blitzer heading straight for the QB. He probably wouldn't be sharing the ball so much if he could learn to pass block.

Yeah, but Kestahn Moore was the BEST EVER at running into the pile for a 1.5 yard gain. As I used to say back then, "He hits the ground with authority."

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I have a feeling Perine may pass him up. Perine has great hands and can be very effective out of the backfield as another option to throw to.

He's starting to show flashes of this, so it's possible he becomes a better backfield receiver. But how is his pass blocking? I want to ask if he's better than Scarlett. We know JS needs to work on it, but I can't recall Perine even getting the chance to excel or screw up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.