Falcons gonna Falcon: The Penix rises again

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
The Penix rises again, because you can’t keep a good Penix down. This I know firsthand, but WTF were the Falcons thinking. True to form, Arthur Blank and his merry band of bozos go and do something totally stupid with their first round pick. The Falcons track record in the first few rounds of the draft over the past 15 years is abysmal. They’ve squandered so much draft capital, it’s mind boggling.

Why the hell do you sign Cousins to a 4 year, $180m contract and then go draft a QB at the 8th spot? It makes no sense when they proclaim they want to win now and need so much help in so many spots, especially on defense. This isn’t commentary on if Penix will or won’t be good; rather, it’s directed at the seeming lack of having a sound, cohesive strategy. If Penix is your guy at #8, then don’t sign Cousins. Instead sink a chunk of that cash in free agent defensive players and a less expensive veteran QB Penix can learn from for a few years.

Last night illustrates perfectly why the Falcons haven’t won a Super Bowl and why they’re years away from being one of the NFL’s upper echelon teams. Discuss.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know who had a worst first round, New England who basically drafted the same guy they're running out of town or Atlanta who just spent $120 million on a QB and then drafted one.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s been a while since she watched it, but the last time my wife was watching Real Housewives of Atlanta, it really seemed like Penix was at the core of all discussion. In fact, I was a bit surprised for it being a southern state, but I don’t recall seeing anyone—male or female—that wasn’t in favor of getting their hands on one. So granted, I’m no NFL scout, but if I’m trying to please what appears to be the vast majority of Atlanta residents, I’m grabbing the first black Penix that’s available.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can't help but chuckle thinking that Butterteeth recruited Penix. LOL

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The way Cousins contract is structured, it is basically a 2 year deal. 100 million is guaranteed. 90 of that is paid out in 2 years. Then, they kick the 37-38 year old QB to the curb for Penix.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes teams get so focused on the future that they don't think about the present. The entire goal is to win Super Bowls, and when you have the talent to make a run (and the Falcons do) you go for it. The best defensive lineman in the country were all on the board (which was their biggest need) and the Falcons choose to take a guy who MIGHT pan out in 3 or 4 years.

Cousins is pissed and I don't blame him. Try and win NOW, that's the entire damn reason you brought him in. Arthur Blank is an idiot.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's all in a name I guess. Arthur Blank......he's gonna win.....BLANK. You go out and spend all kinds of money on Cousins and then you give a great confidence booster and go buy a Penix.

lucious lyon wtf GIF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes teams get so focused on the future that they don't think about the present. The entire goal is to win Super Bowls, and when you have the talent to make a run (and the Falcons do) you go for it. The best defensive lineman in the country were on all the board (which was their biggest need) and the Falcons choose to take a guy who MIGHT pan out in 3 or 4 years.

Cousins is pissed and I don't blame him. Try and win NOW, that's the entire damn reason you brought him in. Arthur Blank is an idiot.
And it isnt like Penix is some cant miss prospect.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And it isnt like Penix is some cant miss prospect.
He went from a 5th round projection, to a 3rd, to the Raiders taking him the first pick of the second round, to perhaps the Raiders taking him at 13 in the first. The Falcons wanted him and panicked.

I will say I like him better than JJ McCarthy and certainly the awful Bo Nix (Denver is another team that panicked and felt they just HAD to draft a QB there no matter what). However, the guy had 4 season-ending injuries in college - can he even hold up?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He went from a 5th round projection, to a 3rd, to the Raiders taking him the first pick of the second round, to perhaps the Raiders taking him at 13 in the first. The Falcons wanted him and panicked.

I will say I like him better than JJ McCarthy and certainly the awful Bo Nix (Denver is another team that panicked and felt they just HAD to draft a QB there no matter what). However, the guy had 4 season-ending injuries in college - can he even hold up?
Obviously, the answer to whether or not Penix is likely to stand erect for a season is no, although I'm sure he'll run less in the NFL which should help his odds.

Apparently NFL now thinks basically any college QB is anfire round pick. I hope this contracts aren't guaranteed. Bo Nix. Amazing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is remembered as one of the worst quarterback classes.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously, the answer to whether or not Penix is likely to stand erect for a season is no, although I'm sure he'll run less in the NFL which should help his odds.

Apparently NFL now thinks basically any college QB is anfire round pick. I hope this contracts aren't guaranteed. Bo Nix. Amazing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is remembered as one of the worst quarterback classes.
Hell, I'm not even remotely sold on Caleb Williams, who regressed in his last year and doesn't strike me at all as the sure-fire guy he was made out to be.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I’m in the minority, and don’t think it’s that bad of a move. It reminds me of the packers drafting Jordan Love and letting him learn for a bit (Packers situation different for a few obvious reasons)

Let Cousins (icestuouslly) get him warmed up so, he’s ready to rise up to be put in. By the time he puts on his helmet and gets inserted, he’l be so excited and ready to explode from Cousins practicing with him.

I think it’s best for both parties, team and Penix, if you let him get warmed up and let the blood flow some before you put him in for action .

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’m in the minority, and don’t think it’s that bad of a move. It reminds me of the packers drafting Jordan Love and letting him learn for a bit (Packers situation different for a few obvious reasons)

Let Cousins (icestuouslly) get him warmed up so, he’s ready to rise up to be put in. By the time he puts on his helmet and gets inserted, he’l be so excited and ready to explode from Cousins practicing with him.

I think it’s best for both parties, team and Penix, if you let him get warmed up and let the blood flow some before you put him in for action .
I'd say hard drugs, but maybe this is just the bourbon talking.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, I'm not even remotely sold on Caleb Williams, who regressed in his last year and doesn't strike me at all as the sure-fire guy he was made out to be.
Agreed. I think Maye is likely to be the only decent NFL QB out of the group taken Thursday. Bunch of wasted 1st round picks.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the fans treat the draft more seriously than the NFL teams do many times.
It really isn’t that big of a deal to piss away other peoples money like they do each year so just keep building those stadiums for them and keep buying their little jerseys and all will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator