Falcons gonna Falcon: The Penix rises again

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Caleb Williams is going to be a massive bust. He's a selfish player, inconsistent with the ball, and doesn't love the game. He just loves the fame and fortune that comes with it. He'll be out of the league in 4 years.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Caleb Williams is going to be a massive bust. He's a selfish player, inconsistent with the ball, and doesn't love the game. He just loves the fame and fortune that comes with it. He'll be out of the league in 4 years.
Booger McFarland said it best.

Can Williams throw on time? He has not shown it in college. He's always trying for the highlight play.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Even beyond the obvious of having just signed a QB to a $100 mil guaranteed contract, there are two logistical flaws with Atlanta’s approach here. You only draft a QB in the first for him to eventually become the face of your franchise. By Cousins being signed for 4 years, that means you’re asking your fans to wait for MP to be just that. But in addition, because of the Covid year, plus his injury years(another concern), he’s already 24. Obviously things could change and he could be the guy by week 2 this year. But if you’re Blank, the way you at least theoretically see this playing out based on their moves is for Penix to finally get the starting role at age 28, 5-7 years later than would normally be the case with a Top-10 overall pick. They took the oldest, most seasoned player available in the draft and formulated a plan to have him sit for four years. It’s inexplicable.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Falcons pick JD Bertrand, LB for ND.

I remember when Florida was recruiting him (he was a 4*). He played against my local school, Flowery Branch. He was terrible. I had to watch him because he got lost the entire game. Hard to believe he went to ND.

That same game, his teammate was Steele Chambers. Chambers was a RB / LB being recruited by Urbs. He chose OSU because they said he can play RB, which is what he wanted. He ran like a FB and fumbled twice in the game. I knew he would end up at LB but funny that he really thought Urbs was being honest with him.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Sometimes teams get so focused on the future that they don't think about the present. The entire goal is to win Super Bowls, and when you have the talent to make a run (and the Falcons do) you go for it. The best defensive lineman in the country were on all the board (which was their biggest need) and the Falcons choose to take a guy who MIGHT pan out in 3 or 4 years.

Cousins is pissed and I don't blame him. Try and win NOW, that's the entire damn reason you brought him in. Arthur Blank is an idiot.

Agree with your general sentiment except for the part about the Falcons having the talent to make a run. They have enough good weapons on offense to win their division, which is was very weak last season, but there are way too many holes on this team to make a deep run. The defensive line is not great and their pass rush is non-existent. They also need some help in other areas on the defense, including DB. The O-line is also average and Jake Matthews, who was never cream of the crop great to begin with IMO, is getting old. They should have made the playoffs last year but that's probably the extent of their ceiling until they address the numerous holes they have on both sides of the ball. Also, as much as I hate to say this, Kyle Pitts has been a bust so far. I get that some of it is due to his injury and also due to a shytty job by the offensive coaches to get him more involved, but he still hasn't produced like a the #4 pick in the draft.

Turning them around to the extent that they are consistently very good and capable of making a run at the SB is going to take a long time and a lot more talent. Making stupid moves like the other night, which is consistent with what they've done for for decades now, only lengthens the process. Too many 1st and 2nd round picks squandered during the Arthur Blank tenure to overcome quickly and easily.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I’m in the minority, and don’t think it’s that bad of a move. It reminds me of the packers drafting Jordan Love and letting him learn for a bit (Packers situation different for a few obvious reasons)

Let Cousins (icestuouslly) get him warmed up so, he’s ready to rise up to be put in. By the time he puts on his helmet and gets inserted, he’l be so excited and ready to explode from Cousins practicing with him.

I think it’s best for both parties, team and Penix, if you let him get warmed up and let the blood flow some before you put him in for action .

RISE UP FALCONS! RISE UP PENIX!

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I’m in the minority, and don’t think it’s that bad of a move. It reminds me of the packers drafting Jordan Love and letting him learn for a bit (Packers situation different for a few obvious reasons)

Let Cousins (icestuouslly) get him warmed up so, he’s ready to rise up to be put in. By the time he puts on his helmet and gets inserted, he’l be so excited and ready to explode from Cousins practicing with him.

I think it’s best for both parties, team and Penix, if you let him get warmed up and let the blood flow some before you put him in for action .

The big differences are Jordan Love was the 26th pick of the first round whereas Penix was the 8th pick. That's a huge difference. Also, Jordan Love got to sit behind and learn from Aaron Rodgers, who is light years better than Kirk Cousins.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Plus he paints his nails, which is also a huge red flag.

Oh, and by his own admission, he wears unique things. Not sure how well it will go over in the locker room when he strips down in front of his teammates to reveal he's wearing a pair of pink thong panties, crotchless no less.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

I remember when Florida was recruiting him (he was a 4*). He played against my local school, Flowery Branch. He was terrible. I had to watch him because he got lost the entire game. Hard to believe he went to ND.

That same game, his teammate was Steele Chambers. Chambers was a RB / LB being recruited by Urbs. He chose OSU because they said he can play RB, which is what he wanted. He ran like a FB and fumbled twice in the game. I knew he would end up at LB but funny that he really thought Urbs was being honest with him.
Bertrand was hurt for much of that season and played through it. I watched him for four years and I can assure you he was a great HS player. I thought he was solid at ND, but not great. I think he has the size and mentality to make it in the NFL, but question if he has the speed. Chambers was a good HS RB, but everyone knew his future was on D. BT beat Cartersville for the state title that year, largely because of how Steele played on D. (BTW - he started at LB the last two seasons at tOSU.). JD told the coach he could play - he’d missed the previous 2-3 games - but the coach wouldn’t let him fearing permanent injury. He finally let him on the field for the last two plays which were kneel-downs and lined him up at full back, so he could finish his career on the field with his friends.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Blank is becoming a problem owner. He can’t make good hires and this is what you get. Penix will be on the verge of retirement by the time he’s ready to start

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Why the hell do you sign Cousins to a 4 year, $180m contract and then go draft a QB at the 8th spot?

Cousins’ deal is really 2 years, practically speaking. He’s a great guy, super diligent and can run an offense. But he never has won big, which makes the first part of your question the bigger issue. And, no offense, but there’s no reason to expect the rest of that team to “win now,” is there? Raheem Morris? Seriously? He’s almost as bad as the Bob’s Burgers guy they just fired.

Cousins can help them maybe contend for the NFC South for a couple of years, unless Bryce Young catches on. He will be by far the best QB in that division.

Penix may be the future. If he’s THAT guy then that’s worth more than every other pick they made combined. If he’s not, they’ll keep looking. But bad organizations tend to wallow in their mess until the top radically changes.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Booger McFarland said it best.

Can Williams throw on time? He has not shown it in college. He's always trying for the highlight play.
Dude holds on to the ball and dances around all day. I agree with booger. If he doesn't suck (wich he will) he'll spend most of his career injured all the time

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude holds on to the ball and dances around all day. I agree with booger. If he doesn't suck (wich he will) he'll spend most of his career injured all the time
I didn't watch as much NCAA as I usually do, but I don't think any of those QBs impressed me as future NFLers.

Plus about half of them are 8th year seniors. I remember when we used to mock Old Man Weinke for being the average age of an NFL retiree, now half the QBs are. If you need to play 7-8 years to actually manage to put one good year on tape, how good are you?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't watch as much NCAA as I usually do, but I don't think any of those QBs impressed me as future NFLers.

Plus about half of them are 8th year seniors. I remember when we used to mock Old Man Weinke for being the average age of an NFL retiree, now half of them are.
Me neither. But I've watched enough to know jj mcarthy and Caleb Williams will suck. I'll give maye and penix a chance but like you I haven't watched enough of em.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Me neither. But I've watched enough to know jj mcarthy and Caleb Williams will suck. I'll give maye and penix a chance but like you I haven't watched enough of em.
Yeah Maye was mildly impressive. In fact I was reading his NFL scouting report earlier wondering what the perceived problem was and it was basically lack of nfl elite arm strength.

That seems to be the only thing they care about these days. Driskel and F Franks cash checks even though they can't hit 40% of their passes. Maye and Trash are far more accurate but probably will never even get a chance.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

And Joe Cohen came to UF b/c Zook told him he could try to play RB and everyone else knew and was recruiting him to play on the D Line. He ended up behcoming very serviceable eventually..........on the D Line.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Even beyond the obvious of having just signed a QB to a $100 mil guaranteed contract, there are two logistical flaws with Atlanta’s approach here. You only draft a QB in the first for him to eventually become the face of your franchise. By Cousins being signed for 4 years, that means you’re asking your fans to wait for MP to be just that. But in addition, because of the Covid year, plus his injury years(another concern), he’s already 24. Obviously things could change and he could be the guy by week 2 this year. But if you’re Blank, the way you at least theoretically see this playing out based on their moves is for Penix to finally get the starting role at age 28, 5-7 years later than would normally be the case with a Top-10 overall pick. They took the oldest, most seasoned player available in the draft and formulated a plan to have him sit for four years. It’s inexplicable.

Cousins’ deal is just 2 years guaranteed. By then they’ll know if Cousins is worth another year or two and/or if Penix has “It”.

Kind of like, you know, the Jets signing aging Aaron Rodgers, gimpy achilles & all, to a massive deal while they had the #2 overall QB on the roster. It worked when Denver signed Manning and when Tampa Bay signed Brady. There’s just one reason it wouldn’t work for the NYJ or ATL.

Three Stooges Face Palm GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.