Fall Camp 2019: starting OT Jean Delance on crutches

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Recently, a stat was posted about Jeawon Taylor being one of the better cover safeties in college last season. I don’t think any of us bought it. If he really was that good, why did Dane Brugler (NFL draft guy for “The Athletic”) not mention him at all as a player to watch in the 2020 draft? He listed 30 safeties. Not one mention of Taylor.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Welp, there you have it. Down 6 from the class including our only 5 star and three 4 stars. Anyway you spin it, that's pretty disappointing. Sad thing is, I'm not sure Mullen had much a choice but to roll the dice. Until we get our act together on facilities and beef up the support staff, we'll probably see more of the same. If we can keep backfilling with talented transfers, we might be able to bridge the gap. Its a tall order, but it seems Mullen gets it. Sure hope he can pull it off.

Great post. It's a difficult combination of perception based on the last decade, facility and budgeting mistakes, and Mullen's cast simply not being lights out recruiters across the board. A and B aren't his fault. Hopefully he's recognizing how critical C is, especially given the other circumstances.

Also agree on rolling some dice at this stage. We've all ranted about the status of the roster he inherited. He's trying to build it back anyway he can, and has found some success in the portal. But yeah, we have to be better at rolling those dice, and as itraz said, we can't place all our eggs in one basket at any position.

As for Henderson specifically, personally, I don't care other than the it being yet another ding to our class. He wasn't a critical have, and frankly never felt like it was supposed to be. The commitment came out of nowhere and was sort of a "Oh, wow, ok" type commitments that we thought was certainly headed elsewhere. The moment there was any glitch, I felt that one was over. And as much as some insist on reranking classes, the reality is with the portal being what it is, some of these kids are going to leave at some point before the 4 years is up. Guys like Wells and others like him are the exception. So whether it's now or later, we're going to have attrition. It's just worse because of the amount of defections and the fact that so many didn't even make it on campus.

And just to end on an old-guy, "lawn" rant, I really wish these kids would spend less time committing, de-committing, trolling on twitter(for or against us) and getting tatted up...and more time making sure they'll actually qualify for college entrance. It's pretty ridiculous.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Recently, a stat was posted about Jeawon Taylor being one of the better cover safeties in college last season. I don’t think any of us bought it. If he really was that good, why did Dane Brugler (NFL draft guy for “The Athletic”) not mention him at all as a player to watch in the 2020 draft? He listed 30 safeties. Not one mention of Taylor.

That was because he was so out of position on some plays he probably didn't get dinged for that. Sounds like the under pressure one for QBs that included QBs with no one right on them throwing on the run when under pressure - on that Franks looked decent because he actually had no real pressure on him.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
And just to end on an old-guy, "lawn" rant, I really wish these kids would spend less time committing, de-committing, trolling on twitter(for or against us) and getting tatted up...and more time making sure they'll actually qualify for college entrance. It's pretty ridiculous.

Right? Its like a huge game. Gets tiring for sure.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Diwun Black comes to mind. Wasn’t he on track to qualify after putting in a ton of hard work then threw it away by playing basketball?

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Diwun Black comes to mind. Wasn’t he on track to qualify after putting in a ton of hard work then threw it away by playing basketball?
Is that how it went? Did he really get back on track to qualify? I know some folks think he was supposed to just study all day but I'm not sure if that's realistic.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
I understand that you dont believe he is athletic enough to play nickel, but didnt Grantham keep him there all last season? Why do you think he is forcing burney into the role instead of one of the more athletic DBs?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Is that how it went? Did he really get back on track to qualify? I know some folks think he was supposed to just study all day but I'm not sure if that's realistic.
I think that’s the rumor but not sure it’s accurate. And if getting a college scholarship that might lead to a professional pay day is your goal... it’s certainly realistic to pick a sport and stick to it. If memory serves, he sat out football to focus on grades. Why jeopardize that with another sport that you won’t play in college?

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
I think that’s the rumor but not sure it’s accurate. And if getting a college scholarship that might lead to a professional pay day is your goal... it’s certainly realistic to pick a sport and stick to it. If memory serves, he sat out football to focus on grades. Why jeopardize that with another sport that you won’t play in college?
Gotcha. I thought most fans just expected he would get eligible had he not played bball. I think theres many ways to look at it, not sure there is a right one. He could be the next RFN. Or he could drop out of school. I dont know if he studied after bball or if he would have studied 3 extra hours everytime he spent playing bball.

I just cant fault the kid for playing high school sports.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If we could only get academically gifted recruits like Bama, maybe we wouldn't lose many high -star athletes to not qualifying.?

Deserves an isolated "like".

Rogism : "Immagination turns a tighter wrench than all the tools of truth."

we can't place all our eggs in one basket at any position.

Or as they say in recruiting = "We can't place all our begs in one ask it."

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Burney cross-trained at safety and LB last season. Nickel has been added to that. My worry is they are putting too much on his plate because they are wowed by his freakish size and speed. And Grantham has already said that the reason Burney is at LB rather than safety is out of necessity. His coverage skills are one of his strengths.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Your insistence that we MUST play a nickel defense vs all these run heavy and frankly offensively inept SEC teams is mindboggling.

How about w have an OLB/SS type in the box so we arent constantly getting clowned versus the run, and finishing 60ish as a run defense?

You act like we play in CUSA or Big 12.

Frankly most of these passing teams suck so bad you could put Ethan White at OLB/star and it wouldnt fvkking matter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Recently, a stat was posted about Jeawon Taylor being one of the better cover safeties in college last season. .
It was a garbage stat. His PFF grade is bottom even on our team. It just said teams didnt throw much in the SEC, number of completions per play when he was oron the field or something like that.

There is a reason his backup got preseason AllSEC and he didnt get a vote.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Burney cross-trained at safety and LB last season. Nickel has been added to that. My worry is they are putting too much on his plate because they are wowed by his freakish size and speed. And Grantham has already said that the reason Burney is at LB rather than safety is out of necessity. His coverage skills are one of his strengths.

They have cross trained Burney at so many positions that he was getting lost at times trying to find the RB as a LB in the spring game. Seemed to find the blockers instead.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
They have cross trained Burney at so many positions that he was getting lost at times trying to find the RB as a LB in the spring game. Seemed to find the blockers instead.

I’m concerned we’ve had Burney cross train at so many positions, and are so reliant on him, that his injury will be like the game when Burton got hurt against FSU and Musduma$$ acted like our entire game plan disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.