Feleipe Franks

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought he needed his own thread. Trying not to overreact here but he did some things some of us didn't think was in his skill set. If Mullen can keep him reeled in, it will be interesting to see how our offense develops.

It's not like Treon Harris throwing some go routes up for grabs or John Brantley throwing a bunch of screens that rainey and demps were taking to the house. We all knew that was fools gold. I remember joking about how we thought LSU would have fielded some of those passes like a punt lol.This was different. He seemed to making reads and fitting tight throws. Reminded me more of Griers first showing.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Cheap plug here, but check out some of my commentary in the pinned Truth Takes. You are right. He also clearly was showing more touch on throws than last year among other things.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That was my take as well. That TD to Jefferson was defended as well as anyone can, or will, defend it. It was perfectly placed where either VJ caught it, or it was incomplete and on to the next.

I also think the improvement in WR play helped. It’s easy to forget that his game winner against ut isn’t even necessary if Lewis catches his slant pass. We finally have guys making the catches they’re supposed to make.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That was my take as well. That TD to Jefferson was defended as well as anyone can, or will, defend it. It was perfectly placed where either VJ caught it, or it was incomplete and on to the next.

I also think the improvement in WR play helped. It’s easy to forget that his game winner against ut isn’t even necessary if Lewis catches his slant pass. We finally have guys making the catches they’re supposed to make.
Receiver talent is there. The potential is there for a solid passing game. I'm not saying we're even close to having a dynamic passing game but at least we've seen enough to give us a little hope.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
He has "upside." The absence of a shark humping, childhood snack obsessed waste of space coach and his air thief supporting cast can only mean improvement for Franks.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fileipe Franks has excellently fulfilled those QB requirements suitable for the cupcake opponent he faced.
Face it, had he thrown 2-3 TD passes in just one half of work, we would have said "he's on schedule" to be serviceable for a Gators team stacked for the big run offense. Now, it appears that our run offense lags behind Franks and our passing offense.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Had Franks looked that competent in the O&B game we would have had a more hopeful summer around here.

The “competition” was as low as I’ve seen UF play, but especially timely this year. It ramps up week to week until they go to MSU, which should help him in particular.

Negative takeaways: the OL didn’t mush them, the WRs were more tightly covered than I would have expected, and the 2nd team OL was ineffective.

But, staying on point, Franks took a positive step. He needs to take more. That LSU DL that manhandled Miami is coming.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
He is a bit late on some throws giving the defender time to get back. Needs to work on early throws, after watching other games I’m afraid our OLis going to have another tough year. I hope I am wrong.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s only one game against an outmatched opponent, but I have to eat some crow on Franks. He started slow, but really did some nice things. Mullen has shown he can develop QBs, and it looks like it’s paying off with Franks. I hope to see improvement from Franks and the O line as the season progresses. Next weeks game will tell us a lot more.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When someone starts out the sentence, "Trying not to overreact here," you know they're about to overreact here.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Give t some credit for starting this at all. He is one of the biggest haters out there and had us pegged for a 3 or 4 win season.

BigClawsBrother

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2017
Most importantly I liked the mistake free play from him. No running out of bounds and losing 10 yards and no ridiculous passes into triple coverage. I saw improvement for sure.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had Franks looked that competent in the O&B game we would have had a more hopeful summer around here.

He was learning a brand new offense while unlearning all the crap that Butters and Nuss preached to him. Of course he wasn't going to have a great spring game.

I'm glad that Franks had a good game and showed some improvement. It was evident that he put some work in during the offseason. I think I stated in another thread that he'll be an average SEC QB this year, which is much better than what we've had the last several years. He's going to have some ups like the other night and also some downs, but I think overall he'll have a decent year.

Next year he could be pretty good. This is the first year not only in this offense but also the first year he's being coached. Next year, he'll be a lot more comfortable and confident. Last season and the last staff sucked away Franks's confidence. It's obvious Mullen is doing whatever he can to give it back to him and build him up. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later. It will help that we don't play a decent team until Week 5.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Watching the replay I think things were pretty easy for him. He got away with going to the primary receiver the play was called for it appeared most times and didn't have to do much at all to deal with pressure because of that. Some nice throws in the end zone but I want to see it against someone with a pulse that forces him to have to make quick decisions when the first option called isn't there. KY will tell us a lot more as they are a legit FBS team.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's the wonder of college football under a new coach, how you progress week to week. It's perfectly logical to question being overreactive after one game and yet your instincts are already screaming that something's decidedly different.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wtf is that sheet he's growing outta his chin?
He needs improvement in that area. No wonder the hottie left him.

He obviously has somethings to work with that the ABF crowd now sees too. That doesnt mean he wont struggle at times, he probably will.

It does however mean he will be more of a credible passing and running threat. Combined w a strong running game (come on OL) that will take us a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator