Feleipe Franks

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Was definitely a benefactor of Mullen’s play calling, decisive and immediately. When was the last time we had time at the line of scrimmage with players not running around with their palms up looking confused?

Franks has the upside, & as I read earlier remember this is the 1st time in his career he has an actual QB coach. He did get away with a couple of throws, but also had a couple of sure drops. What a leap from last year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm betting Franks has his best practice-week ever, his receivers too. That's gonna result in a bigger improvement than before. All works well when a QB has a dedicated QB-coach. Franks QB-playing
should start to look fully natural as games go by. Think, we'll have a real QB behind center, such that the whole team vibrantly advances each's individual skill. The growth of a real Gator team is underway. Sure hope so. Can't wait to "manhandle" ole Kentuck.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
He did look more decisive and confident--both of which are good to see.
However, going to hold off on making too many conclusions since it was against FCS opposition.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I said 7-8 wins. Last night made me more confident in that prediction. We will beat the crummy teams and win one or two against comparable talent. I dont see the oline or franks getting us over the hump against the dwags, Cajuns or clowns tho. Too much talent on those rosters. I think we'll look like a well coached and disciplined team tho; which is a light years away from what we we're under the last retard.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I know Frank's looked bad last season but you can check my posts, the kid always had potential. I kept saying Franks with coaching would be nice. Im not worried about Saturday being a fluke. Frank's will be a competent game manager with potential highlights due to his cannon. The Gators are back. Were going to be in every game we play, win or lose

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
I think it really comes down to the offense Mullen wants to run. With the RPO's, and read plays Franks will always get the nod. Once he hits stride he can cover 5 yards in one step. He is faster than he looks and his legs can keep a drive alive. He still looks hesitant when he has to make a real read in the passing game. He locks on receivers still and just doesn't look like he trusts himself. I wish Trask got more time. His passes were on target and crisp. The snap over the head really screwed him. If Jones was just going to hand the ball off and let it slip from his hand Mullen should have given Trask at least 1-2 more series in the 4th. I guess at the end of the day Franks does not seem like a QB who can to win a game on his own, but he fits the Mullen system. Hopefully he continues to improve.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A little less than a year ago UF QB Filiepe Franks had started, played wire to wire, and led UF to a victory over UTn. He completed 18 of 28 passes for 212 yards, 2 TDs and 1 pick. That gave him a very respectable college QB rating of 144.3. I have seen many young UF QBs have a confidence boosting game like this and seize the QB job. In Franks' case that did not happen in the next game against UK, as he was not able to build on his success the week before.

Usually after a QB candidate does not seize the position, he never gets another chance. Franks has been very fortunate to get another chance. Once again he started and had a confidence building game. Against Charleston Southern he complete 16 of 24 passes for 218 yards, 5 TDs and 0 picks. That gave him an excellent college QB rating of 212.1. Now it is hard to know if 144.3 against UTn or 212.1 against Charleston Southern is better given the relative talent level of the opponents, but again Franks has the job and should have confidence. And at the end of this week again looms UK. Will Franks this time be able to build on a good performance and seize the QB job?

I thought he would seize the job a year ago, so of course I am more cautious this time. Perhaps the problem a year ago was the McElwain not so secret man crush on Del Rio? On the other hand, I have seen young QBs force coaches to go with them by their play. Franks did not one time. Maybe he will this time and maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator