Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Someone made a mistake bumping this thread.

Since my last post in here, I went to another double (hop across the hall) feature of:

Rogue One

Meh. You get the impressive battle scenes and dramatic music you'd expect from the Star Wars class, but overall it bothered me on 2 points. First, the character development was choppy to start - either commit to some flashback memories, or spend the time in taking us thru them. The first half was jumping between the lead's childhood and current status....which brings me to my second issue. It's one I have no right gripe about, given it is an offshoot that feeds into SW IV (the first one we all saw in the 70's), but it sucked for an ending IMO. Granted, we all have seen SW4, Luke's first film, so we know what this leads to, but within this off shoot, they give you a handful of characters that are thrown away at the end. They get you to buy in, then toss out your investment. Still, for SW fans, a definite must see, and no matter of reviews will dissuade you. Seeing it for yourself, you'll likely decide it is a single viewing to check the box and move on.

The Arrrival

Well, I like Forrest Whittaker, and didn't realize I'd having him in for both films tonight, but it is what it is. I know he is highly regarded, but I'm still not seeing it. Fast Times, he was a football jock and did it well. Since then, a handful of insightful roles (see above where he's a rebel leader with a background that is hinted at but not developed), but here he's tasked with being the blundering gov't/military. Granted, he does that well, but the set up of the plot has him as a comical side effect. Now, at the heart of this, is the lead's interaction with the aliens. And THAT, my friends is very well done. Her central character plays into all the levels of story that are ongoing. And the parts that seem like gaps initially, they get addressed eventually. I'll give some props here on the story line, and how she is integral to it. Not "awesome" plot or effects, but still worth the rent if there's nothing else in Redbox that you haven't seen.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
^^That was weeks ago....since then I've been Netflix binging on all kindsa crap. Have got to give a shout out to the few I've burned thru (do we have a thread for binging, or series to watch?)

Stranger Things - f'n AWESOME with being set in the 80's. WInona RIder is fine, but it's the kids that carry the show. But the creators obviously grew up in the 80's and the set/direction all accounts for that superbly. Other than being a completely fantastical story at it's base, the characters and references to the 80's are just like what we grew up with in that era. HIGHLY recommend this one. It was only shot for one season, but was supposed to be filming a second season. It'll be tough, given the season 1 basis and how it wrapped up, but I"m still looking forward to it.

The OA - I watched all of S1, and while there were some things that you could almost buy, the whole thing just seems like someone's HS assignment got a (limited) budget and they had to fill out additional episodes. They, also, have a season 2 I think, but I'd recommend skipping this altogether. It didn't utterly suck, but there isn't enough to draw you in and keep you (yes, I watched all of S1). The payoff isn't there, and the journey isn't all the great.

Glitch - familiar premise where a local pharmaceutical is bringing people to life. The whole thing is shot in AUS, so it has that going for it. Key premise is the people that come back to life have no idea why and cop (married to one of the deceased) tries to sort it out. Somewhere he has to balance his sense of sanity, a wife who is dead but not with a followup (pregnant) wife that was the first wife's friend. All in all, it's less soap opera and more 'wtf do we do' with plenty of exploring each un-deceased persons background and fit to things. All in all, well done and worth the watch. They are filming S2, which won't be hard to build upon S1. Though, at some point you are asking if this has an end.

Sherlock - OK, admitted, I liked that stuff when I was younger, so it appealed to me. Basis is modern day Sherlock ( Benedict Cumberbatch) and his sidekick Holmes ( Martin Freeman). There's no flustering about, just take it as modern day (rather than our story being watson's diary of cases, he's running a blog, with followers!). The appeal is the same as any other real Sherlock tale - his insight, deduction, and seeing more than we can. In a large way, we are Watson along for these discoveries. They launched S4 this calendar year, but S1-S3 are available. Really, though S3 is more of long first episode then serveral 'behind the scenes' things. That's ok, if you like to know behind the scenes a bit. However, S1-2 are delicious. I have been laughing out loud so much to some of the quiet comedy that my ribs hurt, and my wife indicated she hadn't heard me that happy about something in a long time (yes, I'm a miserable SOB thanks in part to the sports dumpers). Seriously, if you like anything Sherlock, this is one of THE BEST ever done about the basic characters. They even gave Watson a wife who is a key character as opposed to a tag along or character for dart like comments. Overall, with Villains (Moriarty is great) and supporting roles (Mrs. Hudson) are delightfully created, portrayed, and executed by a great cast. No duds, no plot issues, just great writing and execution throughout. I look forward to S4 and highly recommend the earlier series if this appeals to you.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
But, this weekend, I've also binged some movies, seeing as the series above were the past few weeks.

Spectral (Netflix)
Sci-Fi about a guy who develops cameras for our military and has goggles for soldiers that can see non-standard wavelengths, so they see these spectral beings that start devastating the (US and local European bad guys) militaries. If you LOVE playing HALO, this will give you about 5 min of story to support that view, the rest of the time you are asking "why am I watching this". All in all, actors and director did their best, but all in all, it just wasn't that good. Weak premise, weak story.

Maximum Ride (Netflix)
Based off a series of James Patterson books about kids that were genetically mutated, then the effort to get them to grow 'in the wild' and still control them. Filmed like a tough version of Hallmark channel or something off the Sci-Fi channel (which may actually have commissioned this), it.just.sucks. I read the book, it was good. I read a few sequels, they were ok. This film sucks. Delivers weakly to the book, sets up for others but I don't think anyone is stupid enough to give them a budget. MOVE ON.

Spectre (Amazon Prime)
Latest Bond film, which to be perfectly honest, was a little weak on plot, explosions, sexiness, and overall Bond feel. It did have sexy women, and some explosions (car chases, with great cars) but the storyline was pitiful. I guessed it when I first met the characters in the 10m, but nooooo, we will trudge along for another hour before letting everyone show their hands. I struggled thru the typical sexy credits because all I could think was Daniel Craig is gay, this isn't real...it isn't Bond. The opening song was good. That's about all I can really recommend about the movie. Try to enjoy the opening credits and sexiness, because after that it isn't even good enough to call fluff.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Last two films we've seen are La La Land and Fences, both are deserving of the accolades. La La Land is the best film I've seen this year.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I rented Suicide Squad the other night. I found it to be very underwhelming. Leto did a great job with his character as usual, but isn't in the movie very long. Margot Robbie is certainly nice to look at as well. It's the typical Will Smith saves the world flick that we've already seen a dozen times. This one just happens to have a pretty good cast. C plus at best.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Life, Animated.
Great story, good movie. Highly recommend it to any parents or anyone whose had to deal with autism.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Do not see "If I Stay" unless you like to cry. Nuff said. Watched it on Amazon Prime the other night. It's a helluva tear jerker.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Wardogs wasn't half bad. Saw it on a plane a few weeks ago. Sully wasn't bad either.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Do not see "If I Stay" unless you like to cry. Nuff said. Watched it on Amazon Prime the other night. It's a helluva tear jerker.

They made a movie about Muschamp?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Little late to seeing this one but what a great movie. Certainly not interested in flying anytime soon.

Great movie but what's wrong with flying? Safest mode of transportation. I fly like 70-100 times a year it's not bad at all.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not a movie but just binge watched Dexter...fantastic show

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rented Jack Reacher-Never Go Back and Sully over the w/e. I thought both were good movies and worth the BOGO offer from Redbox.

in regards to Jack Reacher: 1. Tom Cruise looked pudgy and in my opinion, had a body double for the shirtless parts, and 2. he's most definitely not the hero, BA type to me.

I think Matt Damon would have been a better fit for Reacher in both movies.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I think this has been covered in this thread before (too lazy to search) but...

I finally got around to watching Deadpool this weekend.
FANTASTIC

imma gon watch it agin

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not a movie but just binge watched Dexter...fantastic show
I've known you for how many years and didn't know you hadn't watched this show???

Started out so promising and then completely went to crap, the last couple of seasons really sucked.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've known you for how many years and didn't know you hadn't watched this show???

Started out so promising and then completely went to crap, the last couple of seasons really sucked.
I didn't think it was bad...i liked the earlier seasons but i didn't mind the last couple. The last episode i thought sucked.

I guess my only complaint was the ridiculousness of his lies never catching up to him

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't think it was bad...i liked the earlier seasons but i didn't mind the last couple. The last episode i thought sucked.

I guess my only complaint was the ridiculousness of his lies never catching up to him
I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.