Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage: Finally watched this on Netflix. Have been interested in this story ever since Quint told a version aboard the Orca in the first Jaws. For anyone that doesn't know about this story it is the ship that delivered the bombs we dropped on Japan. They were under complete secrecy and on the way back they were sunk by a Japanese submarine. They had no sonar and most didn't even know they were out there due to the secrecy.
I read a book a few years ago. It was terrible how they were left out there. The commander of the ship finally committed suicide........
On 6 November 1968, McVay committed suicide by shooting himself with his service pistol at his home in Litchfield, Connecticut, holding in his hand a toy sailor given to him for a gift he had received as a boy for a good luck charm.[8] He was found in his frontyard by his gardener.[9] Though a note was not left, McVay was known by those close to him to have suffered from loneliness, particularly after losing his wife to cancer.[10] McVay also struggled throughout his life from vicious letters and phone calls he periodically received from grief-stricken relatives of dead crewmen who served aboard the Indianapolis.[10]

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I read a book a few years ago. It was terrible how they were left out there. The commander of the ship finally committed suicide........
Yes it was. The last thirty minutes go into his court martial and eventual suicide. Crazy that until his death he was still getting calls.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Today I was disappointed once again by a movie version of Tarzan. How many times and ways can the film industry screw up the original intent and depiction of this jungle man ERB wrote about over 100 years ago. Technology brought spiderman and others to life and they did what Stan Lee intended. The original version of Tarzan, as Burroughs wrote him, has NEVER been created correctly. Tarzan DID NOT swing on vines or live with gorillas. His wife was not the bad azzz this movie depicted. The new characters were fun but not remotely connected to Burroughs stories. Before I die I want a real adaptions of the book he wrote. Video tech, can make the real Tarzan Edgar Rice Burroughs created.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Moonlight. It was really good until it kinda fell apart in the third act. Wasn't better than La La Land. For all of you pissing your pants about the gay aspect of the film, there was one maybe 30 second scene depicting any actual homosexual activity. So you can come out of your safe spaces now.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The Amityville Horror (2005)

I missed the first 30 min or so, but Ryan Reynolds gives a pretty solid performance in his version of Jack Nicholson from the Shining. I will say I haven't actually watched the original, but other reviews and my own perception is this has nothing to do with the original. The house looks similar, but this should have been marketed as a haunted house film and stayed away from the name association. Decent horror film, but the back half gets kinda jumpy. One person put it best by calling it "MTV Editing" which is pretty accurate. Not real bloody, not real scary, but still ok for a watch.

The Legend of Tarzan (2016)

Again, late to the hotel room, missed the first 45min, however I really didn't feel like I missed anything. Jumped in, went along for the ride. Obviously some liberties taken with the storyline, but it carries well enough. I couldn't get my head around Samuel L Jackson portraying someone who is younger than he is...mostly for the athleticism and conditioning the movie portrayed for the character. Mostly, he was there to provide some Sam Jackson "Oh Sht" and "Damn" comments, and provide someone to carry the story out of Africa. Still, on it's own, a decent flick. Not going to win awards, but fills some time.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
it was spring break here and the kids were gone, so Mrs. Trux & I went and watched Logan. It was more of an adult film to me than the other Marvel films, full of story and references. I'd give it a 7.5 outta 10, but you can wait for the DVD if you haven't seen it yet. There are a lot of missing pieces that I don't know how they jump to in this film cause I haven't read the comics, and never will. For instance, in The Wolverine (the last solo film for this character) his claws are cut off and it shows his bone growing back out, now he's back to adamantium claws - how? etc...

Boss Baby - if you have kids ages 3-9ish, this is for you. we took our 9-12 y/o's and they liked it, but I think it's geared more for the younger ones. Personally I suffered through it. There were a few funny parts for adults, but kids will like it.
Kid rating 8.5 outta 10 - parent rating :( - I hate it for ya

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Watched Patriots Day last night. Great movie. Didn't stop/pause one minute of it, not to even pee. Only thought I had was how was Wahlberg always right around the corner? I'm sure that's the theatrical part of the movie, but seemed odd. Seemed the brothers also thought there was always a conspiracy theory behind 9/11. I guess other do too?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Assassin's Creed - The trailer looked pretty good but the movie was so-so. Having not played the game I was maybe at a disadvantage. Something about DNA and being able to send Assasins back in time to find the Apple. Fight scenes are cool. Lots of parkour type stunts if you're into that. Fassbender does a good job. And Marion Cotillard is hot, I highly recommend an internet search of some of her "work".

USS Indianpolis - Nick Gage was the captain wasn't he. I started watching but got a little bored with the backstory part and turned it off. The special effects were 90's TV cheesy.

I am really looking forward to Wonder Woman.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
For instance, in The Wolverine (the last solo film for this character) his claws are cut off and it shows his bone growing back out, now he's back to adamantium claws - how? etc...

In the comics, Magneto ripped out the adamantium from Wolverine's body. Years later Apocalypse recruited Wolverine to be one of his horsemen of death (whatever you want to call them) and rebonded the adamantium to Wolverine's skeleton. Now, that doesn't explain what happened in the movies, but this is the way it happened in the comics.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For instance, in The Wolverine (the last solo film for this character) his claws are cut off and it shows his bone growing back out, now he's back to adamantium claws - how? etc...

The last Wolverine movie happens in the timeline before the events of days of future past, the Logan movie happens in the timeline of after the event of days of future past. The timeline was shifted. Which also means that X-men, X2, and X-men: last stand are not in the Logan timeline.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Watched Patriots Day last night. Great movie. Didn't stop/pause one minute of it, not to even pee. Only thought I had was how was Wahlberg always right around the corner? I'm sure that's the theatrical part of the movie, but seemed odd. Seemed the brothers also thought there was always a conspiracy theory behind 9/11. I guess other do too?

Saw this today. Really good movie and keeps you there the entire time. Had a really good cast as well and didn't tip toe to much around the radical Islam part. The wife needs to go down.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Office Christmas party- what's not to like with a movie that has Jennifer Aniston, Olivia Munn and Jamie Chung. Anywho it's about a district of a server company that is told they have to lay off 40% of staff on Christmas. They decide to throw a raging party to land a big client to save jobs. The CEO Aniston is not happy about it. Obviously things get out of hand with drugs, hookers, etc. the cast is pretty good and it starts out promising, but the last hour is basically predictable and tries to hard to be funny. Where have the funny people gone that could be funny without trying to hard. It's an ok comedy in an age of ok comedies. 5/10.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Absolutely fabulous the movie - came on HBO so I decided to watch. Would watch the show on Comedy Central when in college while drunk. Not as funny sober. Just two old women who were good looking in the 80s playing drunks. Not even sure what it was really about. Just remembered losing money, accused of murder, and some other stuff. 3/10

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Spongebob Movie...whatever it was called

So, yeah, dad has the kids for the weekend and lets them pick a movie to watch. Yay! For background, I've never watched the show myself, and hate the kids wasting time on such a worthless series with no redeeming qualities, but knowing they do watch it I have picked up enough by osmosis to know the characters and some of the personalities. I couldn't fathom how in the hell it could be stretched to make a feature film. Now that the bashing is out of the way, I'll say it was better than expected. They kept to the storyline of the tv show but applied a twist where Spongebob and the main antagonist of the series end up having to work together to save their world in a way that works for that Spongebob universe. I will also admit I was a bit confused when the trailers kept showing live action, and the first half of the film was nearly all show-like animation; however, they did make a successful transition to live action-ish for the back half with a kicker of a cameo in who was the live action villain (I won't spoil it, and anyone taking that role has to be on their way to the D-list of Hollywood actors, but I enjoyed his version of that role). Anyway, not to give any spoilers, but if you have kids that watch the show they'd probably like the film and you, as an adult, can tolerate it if you just get past the absurdity that is the Spongebob universe. Would I watch it again? Not even on drugs. But it was watchable for that one time, with kids. Final verdict 5.5 / 10.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Nocturnal Animals - Had a good cast and the trailer looked really intense. Warning unless you want to vomit fast forward through the 3 minutes of opening credits of very large completely nude women dancing. So amy adams is a very succesfull art person and is married to a succesful guy (armie hammer), but their marriage is on the rocks. She receives a manuscript from her ex husband Jake Gyllanhal in the mail to read as she has it dedicated to her and she decides to read it. Basically the book is about a guy who on a road trip with his wife and daughter watches them kidnapped and then later finds them dead. From there the book portion is actually the most interesting part with the trying to catch the guys that did it. Lots of flashbacks by Adams about the first marriage and then lots of time spent in the "book". The last half hour it comes off the rails and goes from interesting to not very good with the way it all ends in both worlds. It's ok, but not something to go knock down the redbox for. You can wait on this as some is better and I was very disappointment with the last quarter of it after the first part sucked me in so much. Basically the book is supposed to be a big allegory for her to figure out and such. 5.5/10.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched passengers... it was ok and not a bad movie to kill time during a flight. I line Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence is always freaking hot so the movie has that going for it

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Masterminds-there is a reason this movie got shelved for a few years. It's bad so don't watch unless truly bored. Based loosely on a true story it's about a armored car driver who gets sucked in to robbing his company and the fall out from it. Lots of faces you'll know in it, but a bad movie. 2/10

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Rogue One and Christmas Office Party over the weekend.

Office Christmas Party, starts off strong, has a number of funny people in it. but it goes on about an hour after the good jobs expires. Olivia Munn can't act worth a $hit, it's painful. The whole got to force a love story and happy ending at the end for the last 30-45 minutes kills it. 4/10 (before the last 30-45 minutes 8/10)

Rogue One was a good action movie, and had a lot of parts that just felt like they were in there to fill time so it would be a 2 hour movie. It was enjoyable, and obviously a set up to the initial Star Wars. 7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator