Florida’s overall talent: Bad as we think?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hoops? I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about. My point is to the people saying we are devoid of talent. We're not. It's not what we are used to but it's enough to beat UK at home. Mullen got outcoached. It happens.
Obviously, it wasn’t enough to beat Kentucky at home. Just because YOU think it is, doesn’t make it true. This roster is crap at way too many positions. We’re loaded at a couple (WR, RB) but that’s easily negated by the others (OL, QB).
I’m not saying that was a stellar coaching performance, but it’s hard to make a top shelf cocktail out of rot gut whiskey.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We've been through this and several articles mention it too.

He ran the Mullinz offense. The numbers in the box determine what the play call is. If the defense is afraid of our QB's arm and show two to four high, then the play is a run, even from five wides. The commentator even mentioned it when he saw a three man DL with two LBs in the box while we were in a five wide set. Franks looked to the sideline, audibled, then ran a QB draw.

The DEFENSE determines the play call in this offense. They decided they were going to stop the run so Mullinz passed. It is what he does.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:banghead:Those stats on the OL rankings, wow, quite telling
Yeah, and I'd say Johnson and Buchanon are overrated. No way they are in the top 2000 players.

Where is Insti to call us stargazers because stars don't matter?

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, and I'd say Johnson and Buchanon are overrated.

Where is Insti to call us stargazers because stars don't matter?
It's shocking to see you make an "I told you so" post followed by calling someone out.

I want everyone to remember that Swonkey here wanted Larry Fedora. That's who he wanted. He's always sidestepped that question, but he's been singing Fedora's praises for years.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Here are the recruiting rankings of the players we fielded against UK:

OT Martez Ivey: #2 overall #1 OT
LG Tyler Jordan: #389 overall #7 OG
C Nick Buchanan: #1475 overall #158 OT
RG Fred Johnson: #1360 overall #140 OT
RT Jawaan Taylor: #941 overall #46 OG

For comparison, per one site listing UK’s depth chart, the 247 ratings (rivals doesn’t nationally rank far enough) for their line was NR (RS F), 677 (RS J) 141/#2 nat’l C (RS SO), 1761 (R SR), 451 (JR).

The starting LT was unranked but clearly good enough to play this early and perhaps “underrated”. While not a great line, there is an argument it is both more talented and higher rated than Florida’s.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's shocking to see you make an "I told you so" post followed by calling someone out.

I want everyone to remember that Swonkey here wanted Larry Fedora. That's who he wanted. He's always sidestepped that question, but he's been singing Fedora's praises for years.
Im wearing a Fedora right now, in support. And don't forget Brohm. Or hire one of the hundreds of effective OCs around CFB and NFL.

Actually I said interim and wait til next year when someone decent is available, since we werent able to land our top choices with our 3.5-4 mil offers.

Yet none of those fvkkers get paid 100k less than Urban Leyer, and have lost twice to Kintucky in two years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Again, I think he's hemmed in by the OL and a quarterback who's still searching for himself. We couldn't get anything going consistently on the ground, so he went to the air. But, no, I've never thought of Dan Mullen as a great in-game playcaller.

I have no problem if Mullen was sold as what he really is, a good to very good coach... but that is not what the Admins are selling. They are selling that he is top 10. I'm less worried about what I saw on offense which is severely limited due to horrid OL play, as the lack of adjustments on defense. As a coach you are who you choose to surround yourself with. Butters surrounded himself with lower D1 coaches, which is where he is comfortable a play like CSU. Mullen surrounds himself around coaches who are better suited for the lower half of the SEC. He is light years above where we were last year, but he isn't where the standard that we should have in place now?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem if Mullen was sold as what he really is, a good to very good coach... but that is not what the Admins are selling.
He is a below average coach, though slightly better than our last complete failure of a coach.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem if Mullen was sold as what he really is, a good to very good coach... but that is not what the Admins are selling. They are selling that he is top 10. I'm less worried about what I saw on offense which is severely limited due to horrid OL play, as the lack of adjustments on defense. As a coach you are who you choose to surround yourself with. Butters surrounded himself with lower D1 coaches, which is where he is comfortable a play like CSU. Mullen surrounds himself around coaches who are better suited for the lower half of the SEC. He is light years above where we were last year, but he isn't where the standard that we should have in place now?
No one from the administration has attempted to sell him as a top 10 coach. You’re too caught up with what we are paying him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No one from the administration has attempted to sell him as a top 10 coach. You’re too caught up with what we are paying him.

Once you put the price tag on it, you are selling it as such. To believe otherwise is naïve. It just like any other profession in that regard. We are the stakeeholders of a multi-million dollar company with each dollar that is spent.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Once you put the price tag on it, you are selling it as such. To believe otherwise is naïve. It just like any other profession in that regard. We are the stakeeholders of a multi-million dollar company with each dollar that is spent.
They paid what it took to get him. Doesn’t mean anyone is selling anything.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They paid what it took to get him. Doesn’t mean anyone is selling anything.

Do you think Texas A&M was't selling Jimbo as an elite head coach or FSU wasn't selling Urkel Taggert as elite by what they bought him at?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
He is a below average coach, though slightly better than our last complete failure of a coach.

Then who? I get sick of this every year. SOS left us in a bind and we got Zook. Meyer is a complete A...Hole. Even with the 2 NC I would not want him back.

Y'all are so smart, then who? Frost? ....you would screaming now. Kelly?....AGAIN....WHO? WHO? WHO?

Maybe Sean Payton? Maybe Gruden? Maybe Saban...Yeah, SABAN...

Still waiting

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Then who? I get sick of this every year. SOS left us in a bind and we got Zook. Meyer is a complete A...Hole. Even with the 2 NC I would not want him back.

Y'all are so smart, then who? Frost? ....you would screaming now. Kelly?....AGAIN....WHO? WHO? WHO?

Maybe Sean Payton? Maybe Gruden? Maybe Saban...Yeah, SABAN...

Still waiting
Law has a major hard-on for Applewhite.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Law has a major hard-on for Applewhite.

And I would take Kerwin Bell. My pick would be Charlie Strong HC - Kerwin Bell OC...BUT that will NEVER EVER HAPPEN.

My point is there are not that many coaches that fit the bill. If we went for a young up and comer...Y'all would scream no experience.

You go Defense and Y’all again scream.

So we had to have an Offense Minded, D-1 HC, that would come. And we play one very SHYTY game and it’s “WE’RE DONE”

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We've been through this and several articles mention it too.

He ran the Mullinz offense. The numbers in the box determine what the play call is. If the defense is afraid of our QB's arm and show two to four high, then the play is a run, even from five wides. The commentator even mentioned it when he saw a three man DL with two LBs in the box while we were in a five wide set. Franks looked to the sideline, audibled, then ran a QB draw.

The DEFENSE determines the play call in this offense. They decided they were going to stop the run so Mullinz passed. It is what he does.

Just curious why Miss State with that QB who isn't a good passer ran it so much then unless Mullen is changing things because he knows Franks cant run anything like Fitzgerald. Just from watching them last year I saw the box crowded many times when Fitzgerald or that RB rushed the ball.

It appeared to me in both games he wanted to work on Franks passing with us passing it so much especially considering Franks scrambled on quite a few plays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator