Florida beats Auburn to prop up their tournament hopes

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Florida wins!!!!!! Florida won 72-66. Allen was his old self the last 22 minutes of the game. Allen and Hudson were great and Chiozza was close to his old self as well. 5-14 or something from FTs. So frustrating but a great win. Saw a lot more designed plays to get us easy 2pters. Amazing amazing amazing game from Bassett. Without his game we lose. Hayes and Stone missing, but we still beat Auburn.

Great needed win. Showed much improvment in almost all areas except FTs. Blew a 14 pt second half lead, but picked up the pace which let us get a little lead at the end and play good defense the last min. Amazing G job by Hudson I believe on a book of a 3pter
Don't forget Egor who didn't shoot well but made a couple game saving plays himself in the end and was money for his needed FT's. Definitely a team effort in this one which we haven't seen much of lately. Overcoming poor FT shooting against that team (who are the one of twos so are really ranked 5th in the nation, not 12th) is no easy task.

I hope they can build on this to finish strong and get back into a decent seed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yep they won and so all of sudden White is freaking John Wooden. Okay?

They battled, albeit clumsily. White should not be this confusing, letting his team-style get so lost as the season goes on, as learning/teaching should go onward.? I'm lost and I'm ticked at him. Want a powerful head coach.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Don't forget Egor who didn't shoot well but made a couple game saving plays himself in the end and was money for his needed FT's. Definitely a team effort in this one which we haven't seen much of lately. Overcoming poor FT shooting against that team (who are the one of twos so are really ranked 5th in the nation, not 12th) is no easy task.

I hope they can build on this to finish strong and get back into a decent seed.

Koulechov grabbed a really really important offensive rebound when the score was going back and forth and UF could have let things get away from them. He also would have had the rebound on Ballard's great play tipping the ball back in, but alas an official saw a foot on a line when it wasn't close.

As for Koulechov's shooting percentage, it was not good, but somehow he received a pass late in the shot clock when UF is apparently playing hot potato and no one wants to shoot. I believe at least two of his misses were attempted off balance 3s as the shot clock wound down. On the other hand while he made the first FT to put UF up by 4 late in the game, he missed the second so for a 90% guy, he too contributed to the awful FT shooting night UF had.

BTW, UF has not had a FT shooting game over 70% since at SoCar,

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Keep waiting for Allen to breakout but it’s looking like it’s just not gonna happen. Kinda like Brett Nelson’s last year.

Funny you should mention that since it is a perfect comparison.
I have never seen a player with shooting skills like Brett suddenly unable to make anything.
Hopefully Allen will snap out of it before he gets benched in favor Peep, I mean Pete.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First let me say that I am glad that my two game suspension is over, it was really difficult to not watch no matter how frustrating this team is most of the time.

I watched the replay this morning and I noticed a couple of things beyond the obvious improved play and newfound energy.

On two occasions I saw White really get after his players during a timeout. This passion is what I have stated is missing from his sideline approach. If we could only get him to approach embarrassingly bad officiating in the same way, I will be happy.

Since we won I can say this without it sounding like whining.
How many times do we have to overcome ridiculously bad calls before Greg 'Stankey' does something about it?
I am not referring to block/charge calls or foul/play on close calls, I am talking about in bounds plays RIGHT under the refs nose that are missed. This is at least the second game in the last week or so where a ref can't see what is obvious to anyone with two eyes.

All the apologists can continue to brag about how much better the conference is but the SEC will never be a topflight conference until Stankey does something about this embarrassment. In the interim, White needs to treat the refs with the low level of respect that they deserve.

Are they completely incompetent or biased?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Since we won I can say this without it sounding like whining.
How many times do we have to overcome ridiculously bad calls before Greg 'Stankey' does something about it?
I am not referring to block/charge calls or foul/play on close calls, I am talking about in bounds plays RIGHT under the refs nose that are missed. This is at least the second game in the last week or so where a ref can't see what is obvious to anyone with two eyes.

All the apologists can continue to brag about how much better the conference is but the SEC will never be a topflight conference until Stankey does something about this embarrassment. In the interim, White needs to treat the refs with the low level of respect that they deserve.

Are they completely incompetent or biased?

I can understand an official missing a call. Anyone can miss seeing something that happened. What I find crazy is someone seeing something that did not happen.

I can a bit understand anticipating contract and calling a foul that did not happen. As you said, you generally have to call something on the block-charge call. But seeing feet out of bounds when they were not, is silly.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
On two occasions I saw White really get after his players during a timeout. This passion is what I have stated is missing from his sideline approach.
Also DubDad, how much White-fire goes into practice execution, relentlessly stressing squaring up before shooting - opposing players demonstrate this when they are forced off-balance and still "lock" their body orientation as if they were shooting a "set-shot".

I am talking about in bounds plays RIGHT under the refs nose that are missed.
... not missed but fabricated. How reliable is that ref on who touched the ball last?

What I find crazy is someone seeing something that did not happen.
... see, absolute iron-clad authority (Insti) that fabrication-call is correct term. :D

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Didn’t watch while spending some family time. Sorry I missed it! This is a real Jeckle and Hyde team, beating teams they shouldn’t and losing to mediocre teams. I’m tempering my expectations for the remainder of the season. That said...

Go Gators!!!

P.S. Always good to beat the barn and especially bruce the convicted cheater and liar.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good points all and a much needed win to put the brakes on a 3 game skid, keep the tourney hopes alive, upset a 12th ranked conference opponent (and likely regular season league champ), and hand Pearl a loss! Glad White is showing a little fire and his disciplinary action for the late guys is noteworthy. As mentioned, would love to see him get after the zebras, as they have been at best inconsistent in many games. Hell, a tech might actually be in order.

Again, happy for the win, but the post mortem shows that in spite of a little more defensive intensity and offensive movement (great cut by Hudson for the layup and one and a nice bounce pass from Chiozza), we shot near 50% from three point range (Igor notwithstanding). That carried us like it has in several previous victories. The FT's, as noted, weren't good and we're lucky they didn't cost us. Young Bassett was our lone inside scoring presence (12 points) and it's good to see the young guys getting minutes. We had more assists than AU, but were out rebounded by 9. Allen coming back to life certainly helped, but I guess the threes will still be the biggest part of our identity. If we just play with better defensive intensity, I guess I can live with it, even though it is still hard to watch. @Theologator made a great point when he said in a post that he didn't realize how much we'd miss Kasey Hill's defensive abilities. He's right and I wish some of the guys could remember and emulate what he did on that end of the floor.

Here's to finishing stronger than we have been playing prior to yesterday. Maybe the kids learned a little about finishing the drill? It'll be interesting to see what develops in the post moving into next season. This year looks to finish as it has been in that area unless our young PF's can give us a little something.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good, toss money. Perhaps fans' public protest ridicules the NCAA to not let it slide.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This was a really important win for White and thankfully Allen got himself going and saved the team.

The issue I see with this team is they still really lack for running an actual offense and while the defense improved I did see Auburn run the same pick and roll play over and over getting open shots and layups!

Meanwhile... with the exception of a couple nice cuts/passes from Chiozza to Hudson we never seem to have anything like that.

Lets add in the fact that we can't shoot FTs right now... (this is completely a confidence issue for Chiozza, you can see it is in his head when he is at the line) and we seem to have a 6'9 PF who wants to dunk everything, but can't make a dunk and in reality we could have won this game by double digits.

How many layups, dunks and FTs do we have to miss!!!

I'll give White credit for getting the guys to play harder on D. Now if he can get Igor to realize he should only shoot open 3 pointers and not try to shoot contested or drive in a shoot turn around jump shots that always miss...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This was a really important win for White and thankfully Allen got himself going and saved the team.

Really at UAL tomorrow is for a bid. If UF were to get a win, then UF would be in no matter what happens. If not there is the potential for UF to finish 1-5 and be at risk of missing the tourney.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
It was a great game. We had seats nearly on the floor and was practically in the huddle. White was absolutely passionate on the sideline. The gym was an absolute madhouse and very loud yet we could still hear White.

This is a very good Auburn team. No we didn’t play 40 minutes of perfect basketball. There were highs and lows but mostly consistent...hence we led nearly the entire game. We answered their runs. When they finally took the lead late down the stretch we pushed aggressively and Jalen hit a 3 in immediate transition to regain the lead. Our players were highly energized and engaged. They are not quitting on themselves or their coach.

Hopefully Bassett can continue to provide some inside scoring presence and the willingness and ability to hit shots facing the basket like the short corner jumper he hit early. The lack of post scoring has had a tremendous effect on this team and has changed the dynamic and chemistry completely. Egbunu is no superstar...but he takes up space and can get you 10-12 points and 8-10 rebounds a game which is significant for this team. Looking at them up close I can tell you Bassett looks heavier/thicker than listed and Hayes looks much thinner than listed.

Hayes could be very effective for this team in spurts. He is high energy and as effective a post defender as someone in the light 200’s can be. He’s just not a SEC caliber starting center.

Stone is talented but too passive. He needs to develop a mean streak and play aggressively. He often looks like he is gliding effortlessly out there. Too smooth. Needs some junk yard dog in him.

Allen just needs his swag back. He is a shooter. Shooters live and die on confidence. He just simply lost his somewhere along the way. Let’s hope that this game reverts him back to his old form and he comes back out like a cold-blooded assassin.

This was a fun game! Place was packed, extremely loud and energized for 40 minutes. So was midtown afterwards. Every dollar was well spent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator