Florida whipped by Tennessee - Fire Coach White?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is practically the same team Billy D won like 16 with last year and you guys want to fire white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually... Billy didn't have the size inside that this team has and Billy didn't have a player like Allen who can create and score. There are some key differences between the two teams.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Actually... Billy didn't have the size inside that this team has and Billy didn't have a player like Allen who can create and score. There are some key differences between the two teams.

And everyone knows players aren't suppose to improve with game experience year over year. Noah averaged what, 3 points and 2 rebounds a game his freshman year so I'm sure those numbers were the same his Junior year, right?

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus! Are you people still boring the rest of the country about this damn game. Tennessee won. Who cares? Who gives a ****. The Vols and Gators are nonentities in basketball this year. Billy D has flown the coop. We have a run of the mill mediocre basketball coach just like the Gators do.

Besides its basketball and we know deep down in hearts the name of the game is FOOTBALL. You remember football, don't you? Hell, I bet you remember how you proved to the world in the last four games of the season just how good you are?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus! Are you people still boring the rest of the country about this damn game. Tennessee won. Who cares? Who gives a ****. The Vols and Gators are nonentities in basketball this year. Billy D has flown the coop. We have a run of the mill mediocre basketball coach just like the Gators do.

Besides its basketball and we know deep down in hearts the name of the game is FOOTBALL. You remember football, don't you? Hell, I bet you remember how you proved to the world in the last four games of the season just how good you are?

I remember this...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
There is no way we fire White after one year. That looks horrible to other coaches. It may even prevent us from getting a great coach knowing if they don't succeed after one year they not safe.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

I'd be OK with 2 years, but one year sets a bad precedent.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying we need to fire White now, but right now I am not impressed with how he is doing as a coach. The team plays with a lack of offensive discipline and he has not shown he can recruit yet. I hope he will surprise us, but I haven't seen anything to make me feel positive yet.

This is also a lot different from when Billy started. Billy came in after Lon Kruger and there was not a lot of talent on the team at all. Billy may not have left the most talent he ever had, but Robinson, Chiozza, Allen, Doe Doe and Egbunu are better than anything Billy started with.

Billy also didn't have Allen or Egbunu last year. The Egbunu piece is huge.. Billy would have made sure he got the ball more often and at least made him seem like an offensive threat to open up the outside and driving lanes. White has not done that yet. As bad as we were last year if we had Egbunu we would have been a completely different team. We had zero size inside last year.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if Coach White's the guy or not (I still have hope that he is) but I agree with MJM, you gotta give him some time. The deal's already done - if White doesn't make it work, then the program's already set back - thus the damage already done. I think you gotta stick with Coach White and hopefully he learns a thing or two this season, hard knocks, ya know. And regarding recruiting, we only lose 3 players this year so he's a little handicapped on bringing in a big stellar class that would light up the recruiting world. He has two solid (not stellar) recruits who signed in the early period and we just got spurned by a 5* Center, who at least came and gave us a look. Also, Noah Dickerson, once committed to UF before Billy bailed, has started all 14 games for UW and is averaging 20+ minutes, 7 pts and 6 rebs per game. He could have helped this team out, but we all know our real need is a point gaurd who is a threat to score and can make free throws - an inherited deficiency that is hardly on Coach White.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the offense is limited by the players more than the scheme. We are getting open shots, but we don't have shooters. When are are getting the ball inside, we are missing too point blank shots, or getting them blocked/stripped. The '13 team would fully excel in this system.

Also, Tennessee played out of their skull for the first 25 minutes. Home court advantage is huge in college hoops. The lack of effort is concerning, as we weren't able to get focused after taking their initial punch.

The recruiting is the most concerning thing at this point. If White had a top 5 class right now, I don't think we'd be worried as much. It only takes one or two studs to make a class sometimes. Are we even in the hunt on good talent?

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For Christ sakes, the mans coached 14 games and hasn't been able to really recruit any of his own players... He's 9-5. No, this team isn't even close to good but it doesn't call for white to be fired. Not his fault we can't shoot a basketball outside the paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know - I'm not a Foley apologist either. He's done some good things for UFs athletic program and made some great hires - he's also missed on some hires as well, none bigger than Muschamp.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the offense is limited by the players more than the scheme. We are getting open shots, but we don't have shooters. When are are getting the ball inside, we are missing too point blank shots, or getting them blocked/stripped. The '13 team would fully excel in this system.

Also, Tennessee played out of their skull for the first 25 minutes. Home court advantage is huge in college hoops. The lack of effort is concerning, as we weren't able to get focused after taking their initial punch.

The recruiting is the most concerning thing at this point. If White had a top 5 class right now, I don't think we'd be worried as much. It only takes one or two studs to make a class sometimes. Are we even in the hunt on good talent?

It's getting late in the cycle unfortunately. With Egbunu having 2 more years in the middle it may be scaring some younger big man talent away, but as previously stated a PG that can create and actually make baskets is the biggest need at the moment. We were recently spurned by the #22 player (ESPN), the Center from Jax, as we didn't even make his top 4 (FSU did). According to ESPN, the next highest rated player we've offered is SF #90 Alpha Diallo from Colorado, but I can't find anything on him. Rivals indicates we haven't offered, so who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator