FSU Football: is Jimbo Fisher overrated as a Football Coach?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Serious question: Did anyone who watched that FSU/Clemson game the other night really feel like the Nulls got shafted by the officials?

Even taking away any bias I may have towards them, I thought it was a pretty evenly called game. They missed calls that would have benefited both teams, it wasn't one sided at all, so I don't see where he gets off even saying that they were hosed by the officiating.
They got shafted more by Trickett and their own OL.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Jimbo has a sound offense and is a decent OC. For the most part the Nole$ can score points and he makes good in-game adjustments to what the defense is doing. He is also a good recruiter. He struggles with game management and in my opinion shouldn't be a head coach. Relative to the level of talent he's able to bring in, I think you'd be hard-pressed to make a case that he hasn't disappointed as a head coach.

His ceiling was as an OC and I think that's where he's most comfortable. That's about as nice as I can be in offering a subjective critique of Jimbo.

That's a fair assessment. To add to it, he's a very good QB coach - probably the best in the country. Sure, he recruits very good HS QBs but there's not a single coach in the country that can say they've coached four 1st round draft pick QBs (2 that were selected #1 overall) and a Heisman winner. As others have mentioned, he's a hell of a recruiter. It makes me sick. The other thing he has done well is hiring assistants. The year he won the NC he had SIX new assistants on his staff. Sure, Winston was incredible...but he was still a freshman. I hate the guy as much as anyone....and I hate the program more than I hate UGA's & UT's. I'm not going to say he's "overrated". He's probably rated about right. I know this is a Gator board, but I love college football in general. There are two "elite" coaches: Saban & Meyer. Then there's a second tier. There is no doubt Fisher is in this 2nd tier of coaches and he's probably near the top of that tier. I posted this earlier in the week (in the Butch Jones thread): you know how good your coach is when other schools want him....and you know how bad your coach is when no one wants him. Fisher's name is mentioned for every major job opening that comes up (LSU specifically and Texas speculation). Again, I hate the guy and the program. But he's a solid football coach.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After the Swindle at the Swamp, the clowns will never again have the moral authority to complain about the officiating. NEVER.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jimbo has a sound offense and is a decent OC. For the most part the Nole$ can score points and he makes good in-game adjustments to what the defense is doing. He is also a good recruiter. He struggles with game management and in my opinion shouldn't be a head coach. Relative to the level of talent he's able to bring in, I think you'd be hard-pressed to make a case that he hasn't disappointed as a head coach.

His ceiling was as an OC and I think that's where he's most comfortable. That's about as nice as I can be in offering a subjective critique of Jimbo.

^ Agreed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's a fair assessment. To add to it, he's a very good QB coach - probably the best in the country. Sure, he recruits very good HS QBs but there's not a single coach in the country that can say they've coached four 1st round draft pick QBs (2 that were selected #1 overall) and a Heisman winner. As others have mentioned, he's a hell of a recruiter. It makes me sick. The other thing he has done well is hiring assistants. The year he won the NC he had SIX new assistants on his staff. Sure, Winston was incredible...but he was still a freshman. I hate the guy as much as anyone....and I hate the program more than I hate UGA's & UT's. I'm not going to say he's "overrated". He's probably rated about right. I know this is a Gator board, but I love college football in general. There are two "elite" coaches: Saban & Meyer. Then there's a second tier. There is no doubt Fisher is in this 2nd tier of coaches and he's probably near the top of that tier. I posted this earlier in the week (in the Butch Jones thread): you know how good your coach is when other schools want him....and you know how bad your coach is when no one wants him. Fisher's name is mentioned for every major job opening that comes up (LSU specifically and Texas speculation). Again, I hate the guy and the program. But he's a solid football coach.

I would say LSU opening because he has a history there, and he was a good OC there. Texas, I don't trust Texas evaluations of coaching talent right now, too many chiefs to know what is best for the program.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Jimbo would crash and burn....he was well on his way before Jameis saved his ass.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just an aside ... realists here keep whacking pumpers that "we don't beat anybody tough"
and yet want FSU, our most headlined clash, to become a joke loser ??

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Asking "is Jimbo Fisher over-rated" on a Gator Board is just a little weird.......

Any true Gator would say yes without any hesitation, he sucks!

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yes he is overrated. He was the beneficiary of 1) having a very weak ACC schedule 2) having a good QB and very good talent at most every other position and 3) having us (and to a lesser degree Miami) being in a deep down cycle. Change any one of the 3 items above and the guy would have ZERO nattys!!! This guy does less with more talent than any other HC, including Les!

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is averaging 3.5 losses in the ACC, which has one other above average program, without Rapeis.

He also isn't that great of a QB coach. JaMarcus was drafted solely on measurables. The next two were labelled underachievers. You could argue that Randy Sanders has had far greater success as a QB coach and is more responsible.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Serious question: Did anyone who watched that FSU/Clemson game the other night really feel like the Nulls got shafted by the officials?

Even taking away any bias I may have towards them, I thought it was a pretty evenly called game. They missed calls that would have benefited both teams, it wasn't one sided at all, so I don't see where he gets off even saying that they were hosed by the officiating.

Yeah, if they want to see a real screw job by officials just have them pop in a DVD of the Swindle in the Swamp. That was a hose job.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Just an aside ... realists here keep whacking pumpers that "we don't beat anybody tough"
and yet want FSU, our most headlined clash, to become a joke loser ??

Yes because we despise everything about them and we have plenty of tough games in conference to pick up the slack should FSU fall on a consistent basis to 5-7, 6-6 range. Plus the benefits to our recruiting would be astronomical.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
No. He's an elite recruiter, has a NC, is 73-17 and 14-8 vs the top 25 and made the CFP AND BCS bowls. Anyone who says he's overrated his butthurt. If he wasn't at FSU. We'd be pining for him here once Mac is gone.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Yes because we despise everything about them and we have plenty of tough games in conference to pick up the slack should FSU fall on a consistent basis to 5-7, 6-6 range. Plus the benefits to our recruiting would be astronomical.
The East is the worst division in the Power 5. We need FSU to be ranked when we beat them.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
He is averaging 3.5 losses in the ACC, which has one other above average program, without Rapeis.

He also isn't that great of a QB coach. JaMarcus was drafted solely on measurables. The next two were labelled underachievers. You could argue that Randy Sanders has had far greater success as a QB coach and is more responsible.
He got Christian Ponder and EJ manual drafted in the 1st Rd. He can coach QBs. His problem is the defense is trash. I hope he goes to LSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.