FSU vs. Miami

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Looking forward to Miami being a perennial 8-9 win team with a couple boneheaded losses every year.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Beating FSU was their shot at the championship game. Do they still have a shot?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well ... that was a bantamweight slugfest ? 20-19 FSU wins by blocking the extra point.
When a blocked PAT occurs, I always wonder why not kick from 5 yards further back ?
Hate hearing any Jimbo interview after a lucky success. Francois seems skilled & tough &
a reliable leader.

PS>> UK beat Vandy ... and look what we did to UK ... common opponents don't relate straight?

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
At least the blowhards made a game of it at the end. I racked out at the beginning of the 4th with the fsu QB on fire and the game going quickly downhill.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Phan, were you around for the '80 game at Florida Field won by Miami? Schellenberger ordered a meaningless FG while up 28-7 with only a few minutes left after our fans pelted the Miami bench with frozen oranges. Man, was that dude hot in the locker room afterward. :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Phan, were you around for the '80 game at Florida Field won by Miami? Schellenberger ordered a meaningless FG while up 28-7 with only a few minutes left after our fans pelted the Miami bench with frozen oranges. Man, was that dude hot in the locker room afterward. :lol:
Not doubting the legitimacy of this story, but where did they get frozen oranges during a football game?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not doubting the legitimacy of this story, but where did they get frozen oranges during a football game?

Yeah, like they were all bringing mini-freezers to the game. I was at the game on assignment with the Sun and specifically remember oranges being involved, though not frozen ones. Doesn't make particular sense that frozen oranges would hold up in the heat, but that's how the story goes 36 years later, after many, many iterations.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, like they were all bringing mini-freezers to the game. I was at the game on assignment with the Sun and specifically remember oranges being involved, though not frozen ones. Doesn't make particular sense that frozen oranges would hold up in the heat, but that's how the story goes 36 years later, after many, many iterations.
I was there. Shoulda thrown grapefruits.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, the significance of oranges was to sarcastically feat Miami for earning a berth in the Orange Bowl after many down years.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was there. Shoulda thrown grapefruits.

I'm really not sure why the blood was that bad between the two schools. Miami was hardly ever relevant prior to the '80s.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That was one of the few games I got to go to as a child. I only got to go if mom didn't want to go or couldn't go for some reason. Anyway, I remember asking my dad why the fans were throwing oranges on the field. I think his answer was something like "they're congratulating Miami for making it to the orange bowl". My dad was always one of the "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" people. I still try, but often fail, to follow that same rule. We got a poster or two around here that could stand to learn that rule.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, guys, my bad. It was tangerines, not oranges. Miami was going to the Tangerine Bowl. That's what 36 years will do to your memory. :lol:

1980 - Miami 31, Florida 7.The Hurricanes, behind quarterback Jim Kelly, were routing the Gators at Florida Field when UF fans started tangerines (as in Tangerine Bowl-bound) at the UM sideline. Schnellenberger was livid, so the UM coach summoned placekicker Danny Miller to tag a run-it-up field goal on the home team -- with one second to play. The crowd booed unmercifully as the Canes left the field.

http://floridagators.com/news/2013/9/5/26170.aspx

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really not sure why the blood was that bad between the two schools. Miami was hardly ever relevant prior to the '80s.
I recall a game at the Orange bowl where their cheerleaders were carrying bedsheets with "Florida Gators are mastubators" and "F*ck the Gators"...on the sidelines. Can you even fathom any other school's cheerleaders doing that other than scUM?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I recall a game at the Orange bowl where their cheerleaders were carrying bedsheets with "Florida Gators are mastubators" and "F*ck the Gators"...on the sidelines. Can you even fathom any other school's cheerleaders doing that other than scUM?

Hahaha. Soaped up windows outside Tampa Stadium for the '84 game:

AIDS IS A CANE IN THE ASS

KOSAR IS A QUEER

:lol:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hahaha. Soaped up windows outside Tampa Stadium for the '84 game:

AIDS IS A CANE IN THE ASS

KOSAR IS A QUEER

:lol:
Remember Jim Kelly wearing a tshirt in the post game presser...Gators eat boogers?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember Jim Kelly wearing a tshirt in the post game presser...Gators eat boogers?

No I don't, although I should. I interviewed him and wideout Larry Brodsky in the UM locker room afterward. Kelly was a real stand-up guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.