FSU vs. Miami

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No I don't, although I should. I interviewed him and wideout Larry Brodsky in the UM locker room afterward. Kelly was a real stand-up guy.
I hate em all.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hate em all.

Man, UM-UF was a hot rivalry from 1982-85, but yeah, they got a bit full of themselves, esp after Johnson arrived.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Man, UM-UF was a hot rivalry from 1982-85, but yeah, they got a bit full of themselves, esp after Johnson arrived.
That one handed grab by James Jones is still one of my Top 5 all time plays!

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Phan, were you around for the '80 game at Florida Field won by Miami? Schellenberger ordered a meaningless FG while up 28-7 with only a few minutes left after our fans pelted the Miami bench with frozen oranges. Man, was that dude hot in the locker room afterward. :lol:
He was so mad, he called a timeout the in a scUM blowout (like Urban) to kick a late field goal to win 31-7...... Just so the press would ask him why he did it.
Yeah, I was there, only 14 years old. I never knew the oranges were frozen. I actually considered this when I posted. I remember the Miami players provoking the student section, then high five'n my dad after the oranges were fired out there. It seemed harmless, and funny at the time. A piece of fruit and a full beer can are different projectiles entirely, but in retrospect I'm not proud of the incident.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
My Wife was born there along with most of her cousins. Her oldest cousin can't stand anything UF, Will not even wear a blue or orange (much less both colors together)T shirt if possible..... And all because of a little flop back in the 60's

Jun 2, 2015
He was so mad, he called a timeout the in a scUM blowout (like Urban) to kick a late field goal to win 31-7...... Just so the press would ask him why he did it.
Yeah, I was there, only 14 years old. I never knew the oranges were frozen. I actually considered this when I posted. I remember the Miami players provoking the student section, then high five'n my dad after the oranges were fired out there. It seemed harmless, and funny at the time. A piece of fruit and a full beer can are different projectiles entirely, but in retrospect I'm not proud of the incident.

Of course as a 'Cane fan, I have a different take on this event. I was sitting near the UF student section and we were (for whatever reason) seated among the parents of the UF players. All the parents had buttons on with their son's picture. I was sitting in front of David Little's Mom (real nice lady). What I saw thru my orange and green eyes was a lot of UF students taunting the Miami players (and fans) and then out came the oranges. I did not know they were frozen. From where I was sitting I could not tell if the field goal was good or not and it never was posted on the board. Guess the board keeper took offense to it. We had a Miami tag and stickers on the car and were egged as we got out of Gainesville. I am sure our 'Cane fans would have done the same.

Security did absolutely nothing except stand there looking dumb. I wrote the president of UF to let him know about his lack of security, etc. Received a nice response and the following year UF beefed up security throughout the stadium.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Of course as a 'Cane fan, I have a different take on this event. I was sitting near the UF student section and we were (for whatever reason) seated among the parents of the UF players. All the parents had buttons on with their son's picture. I was sitting in front of David Little's Mom (real nice lady). What I saw thru my orange and green eyes was a lot of UF students taunting the Miami players (and fans) and then out came the oranges. I did not know they were frozen. From where I was sitting I could not tell if the field goal was good or not and it never was posted on the board. Guess the board keeper took offense to it. We had a Miami tag and stickers on the car and were egged as we got out of Gainesville. I am sure our 'Cane fans would have done the same.

Security did absolutely nothing except stand there looking dumb. I wrote the president of UF to let him know about his lack of security, etc. Received a nice response and the following year UF beefed up security throughout the stadium.

Whatever. Going into enemy territory should never be a pleasurable experience. When and if the Gators ever get that back, it will be a good day. At least you weren't showered with urine as I was at the Orange Bowl. Not fun. I never went back and never will.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. Don't think we are back yet. Kepler, do you think UF will come within one point of losing to FSU?

We may possibly, but in any case I don't think anyone here was claiming we're back.

Jun 2, 2015
Whatever. Going into enemy territory should never be a pleasurable experience. When and if the Gators ever get that back, it will be a good day. At least you weren't showered with urine as I was at the Orange Bowl. Not fun. I never went back and never will.

UFGator, that was horrible. We have some nasty bandwagon-type fans. I use to tell all the opponent fans not to go near the West End Zone of the Orange Bowl.

Jun 2, 2015
I confident we can lose by at least one point.

MJMGator, that was the funniest posting I have seen all season. I am still laughing. I completely understand as I have experienced years of feeling the same way. It is a real asset to have a good sense of humor during bad times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.