Fun Stats With Captain Sasquatch

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What am I doing up this late, you ask? I'm bored!

So as you all know, Florida football hasn't been shut out in 354 games, and that streak is in grave danger this week (and possibly the opening week against Michigan next year). The current record is 365, held by Michigan. If we can manage to score in this game, the bowl, and against UM, we'll be in line to break the record against UAB late next season (provided we also score in every game after UM, of course). Pretty remarkable when you consider the offensive struggles we've had the last several years.

We also have another impressive streak going, and that's consecutive games without giving up 50 points, which we've done in every single game since the 62-24 debacle against Nebraska. For those of you counting, that's 268 games. That also got me thinking. Who has the longest streak without giving up 50 points? And I've come up with the five other programs with the longest streaks besides us.

5. Louisville (final game of 2008 regular season, a 62-13 drubbing at the hands of Rutgers)
4. Oklahoma (now-vacated national championship loss to USC in 2004, 55-19)
3. Virginia Tech (Insight Bowl vs. Aaron Rodgers and Cal in 2003, 52-49)
2. Alabama (5OT thriller vs. Tennessee in 2003, 51-43)
1. Ohio State is the grand prize winner, they haven't given up 50 points since..........1946. 70 years! A 58-6 shellacking from Michigan. Pretty insane to think about.

Now the interesting (or shocking) thing about Bama giving up those 51 points in five overtimes is this. Prior to that game, the last time they had given up 50 points in a game (and it's still the last time they've done it in regulation) was in 1907!!! They lost to the juggernaut of Sewanee 54-4. They've gone 109 years without giving up 50 points in regulation. And prior to that, it was only done two other times. 53 points to Auburn in 1900, and 78 points to Vanderbilt in 1906. This is a program that's been around since 1892, and they've given up 50 points all of FOUR times. I mean, Texas Tech has given up 50 points three times this season. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

What does this all mean? I don't know, it's 1:25 in the morning. Enjoy your day! :captain:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well we might better hope for some FGs because Bama hasn't given up a TD in their last 4 games and we are 127th out of 128 teams in the Red Zone.

As far as the giving up 50 my guess would be Saban calls the dogs off enough to prevent that.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I am pretty sure it's 359.
Is it? I must have misread something somewhere. :dunno:

man, sas is like a Wikipedia of football knowledge
Considering Wiki was my source for just about everything, I guess you're right. :lol:

Wanna guess who their OC was when that streak was snapped?
What an accomplishment to hang your hat on if you end the two longest streaks without being shut out. :facepalm:

Thank God for that Safety in Gainesville last November....
One of many close calls throughout the years.

TheSaintThing05

Founding Member
Frost or death
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
You just jinxed us. Thanks a lot Jinxy!!!! Now Bama will win 51-9 instead of 49-9. :bwahaha:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How long has it been since we've lost a season opener? And how do we compare nationally in that area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.