Gainesville Sun Newspaper brings back their sports forum

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Sun knows it's the big fish when it comes to UF message boards as evidenced by what I view as a very presumptive, even arrogant move on its part. Posters will flock back because it's the hometown paper connected to UF, a position that brings an automatic air of legitimacy, even (dare I say) a big-time feel. I suspect that will make Gator Chatter either its equal or the definitive adjunct to the discussion on UF sports, though I'm personally rooting for GCMB because I feel it better represents the interests of the posters. You can take the last 10 years combined of GSMB and not equal the effort and input from Oxrageous over here since the beginning of June.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, are we going to war? Should I get strapped up? Did anyone else receive the email like I did about the board being reactivated?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n42227]The Sun knows it's the big fish when it comes to UF message boards as evidenced by what I view as a very presumptive, even arrogant move on its part. Posters will flock back because it's the hometown paper connected to UF, a position that brings an automatic air of legitimacy, even (dare I say) a big-time feel. I suspect that will make Gator Chatter either its equal or the definitive adjunct to the discussion on UF sports, though I'm personally rooting for GCMB because I feel it better represents the interests of the posters. You can take the last 10 years combined of GSMB and not equal the effort and input from Oxrageous over here since the beginning of June.[/QUOTE]

I think at an absolute minimum we will be their equal, but I would guess they will have a steep hill to climb to match us. If you look at the total number of posts to the GSMB, there were less than 600,000 total. If you look at the list of members and sort by post count you'll see that the first page alone is about 1/3 of the total posts and if you add in the second page it jumps to 1/2 of the total posts. Given that 90% of the top posters are now firmly entrenched here plus a substantial number of the less prolific posters, I'd bet that we have easily more than half of the total content producers from the last 4 years here.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
By virtue of who they are, the Sun will be a feeder for new blood. . New posters will find their way there. So I think the best policy is, when you do chose to go over there, to make nice but make an occasional reference to an interesting post at gatorchatter. I'm not happy with them and I'm sure the majority here are not. But a full on GSMB sucks post won't help bring traffic here.

By the way GSMB sucks, and the layout is fugly.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n42231 said:
fvkk gsmb. I don't care if they bought another hamster finally.
Soooo...what you're saying is you will never post over there again???

excited023.gif

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gator1946 said:
By virtue of who they are, the Sun will be a feeder for new blood. . New posters will find their way there. So I think the best policy is, when you do chose to go over there, to make nice but make an occasional reference to an interesting post at gatorchatter. I'm not happy with them and I'm sure the majority here are not. But a full on GSMB sucks post won't help bring traffic here.

Wish you posted more old friend.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n42233 said:
Ox, are we going to war? Should I get a strap-on? Did anyone else receive the email like I did about the board being reactivated?

Somehow this doesnt surprise me :scratchchin:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gator1946;n42237 said:

This...there have been so many boards created by posters that got fed up and left and created their own boards. Mass exodus has happened there numerous times and even of the groups that left they sometimes created multiple boards. Each time the posters that left felt like GSMB would never recover or be the same and it always comes back with new posters

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n42227]You can take the last 10 years combined of GSMB and not equal the effort and input from Oxrageous over here since the beginning of June.[/QUOTE]

129157477066831452.gif

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its kinda like your ex begging you back. They're even. Waning ox back it seems

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator said:
I don't have time for two boards. I'm comfortable here.
Same here. Plus, this board is clearly the better one to be on.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah it took them about 30 seconds to delete my post over there. Screw them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Me and my wolf pack are staying here. Hopefully this doesn't hurt the growth of this site

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n42247 said:
I don't have time for two boards. I'm comfortable here.

This is how I feel. I read through that thread, made a hamster joke, thanked the admin for shouting out to Gatorchatter, logged out... and don't ever plan on going back.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n42268 said:
This is how I feel. I read through that thread, made a hamster joke, thanked the admin for shouting out to Gatorchatter, logged out... and don't ever plan on going back.
:lmao:
I'm going to do the same!

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So far, they have only a few new topics on their main message forum (Gatorsports Forum). None have been created since this morning. One even talks about Bo Pellini of NU. Why? Not a lot of content created on UF itself, one on the weather, one on new TE McGee from UVa. Not an auspicious restart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator