Game by possession

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Like a Tennessee thread. But, but, but…delusions of grandeur.

I get that we don't want to go all nuts here, but to act like anything last night was less than a shyt show is ridiculous.
As has been said before about this game, we can't lose perspective. I've got a different take on it than I've read so far. It was the first game of the season, against a cupcake, at home, with a lot of new faces and young players at positions in all three phases of the game. I AM HOPING that what we saw was tinkering and some experimentation by the coaches during the first real game-time situation with new and/or inexperienced personnel across the board. If they're ever going to do that this season, the UMass game was the game in which to do it. Using four running backs (including a true freshman), then getting away from the running game early when it appeared to be working, having Del Rio throw 44 passes to something like six or seven different receivers, playing two freshmen in the secondary, giving Pineiro opportunities to kick some long ones in his first real game, and scoring more points in the fourth quarter than the other three quarters combined to cement a win, together point to a real possibility that what we saw last Saturday was a college football lab session, not an actual, fully-developed, executed game plan. I'm withholding judgment until I see the Gators play Kentucky in our first SEC game of the year. That's the first game this season in which we need to come out fast, hard, and looking good.

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We had two opponents: UMass and ourselves. We won the game but our penalties made the win a lot harder than it should have been.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I rewatched first half last night. It wasn't as bad as it felt live. The half was oddly paced and it just felt slow but we were moving the ball at ease except when we shot ourselves in the foot. We threw vertical more than I thought but two were dropped.
Interestingly on 4th and dumb we lined up with a left heavy package but then the refs called a timeout for reasons that were never explained. Then we came back with different play, which they blew up. The refs inexplicable TO killed to mo.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I rewatched first half last night. It wasn't as bad as it felt live. The half was oddly paced and it just felt slow but we were moving the ball at ease except when we shot ourselves in the foot. We threw vertical more than I thought but two were dropped.
Interestingly on 4th and dumb we lined up with a left heavy package but then the refs called a timeout for reasons that were never explained. Then we came back with different play, which they blew up. The refs inexplicable TO killed to mo.

It was a bad play call to boot. Why pull Ivey? Just line them up and push forward.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It was a bad play call to boot. Why pull Ivey? Just line them up and push forward.
I agree. Id like to think that at first we planned on simply running left but after the TO they lined up Cox as a lead blocker and decided to get fancy pulling Ivey. UMass saw that coming a mile away and was in our backfield before LDR got rid of the ball. It was odd. 9 times out of 10 we just lineup and get it.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Cox was also in at fullback and completely whiffed on blocking anybody.

These are the reasons I question this coach. Its hard to tell if he takes this seriously or not.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
As I've said, watching the game I thought we played well. I put the close game on poor coaching. If I had a gripe about the players it would be that we didn't crate a single turnover. Not picks, no fumbles, not blocked punts, nothing. The punter was their best player. Do we even practice blocking punts any more? 1 blocked put and this game could have turned into a blowout.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest problem w/ the OP is Drive #1:

Why was a TRUE FRESHMAN RB in on the very first drive? We played 4 RBs on that first drive. The coaches got cocky and cute....and the fumble killed the drive. It's inexcusable. Get a 2 or 3 TD lead on a team like UMass THEN put in a true freshman. Not in Game 1 on Drive 1. Stupid, immature, cocky coaching.

I don't know the reason the coaches played 4 RBs on the first drive. It may have been them being too cocky and cute or they may have had other reasons. Regardless, it was one drive and it was still 10 plays (including the punt). I look forward to the next game and hope we'll show improvement - especially in not receiving personal fouls!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787321

Read those stats. Bring on the excuses. Some of you have been practicing them for years. Should be easy by now.

It seems like anytime someone dares to have a different "take" on the game than you, you feel the need to lash out and label them. Seems like a pretty immature reaction on your part.

In what make believe universe is trying to understand the dynamics of a very complex game called "making excuses"?

T-Rex universe....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It seems like anytime someone dares to have a different "take" on the game than you, you feel the need to lash out and label them. Seems like a pretty immature reaction on your part.

In what make believe universe is trying to understand the dynamics of a very complex game called "making excuses"?

T-Rex universe....

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I show you a game where Bowling freaking Green rolls up 725 yards on UMASS and you call me immature. Pumpers gonna pump.

It is making excuses. Mac is more chump than Meyer. Are you watching the same games as us? We haven't scored more than 38 points since Mac's first game. He's supposed to be this offensive guru. {insert excuses now}

It's the same tired story. I'm looking for him to show me something. So far he hasn't. He backed into an SEC title game. I doubt it happens again.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is Florida, damn it!

We don't need no fvkin excuses!

Watching the game, hell I go to every game and I want Florida to win every game by 50+ points but when they don't I don't fall into a week long rut...... I may vent a little but then I get back into the real world where things don't often go the way I want.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Nussmeier is terrible. I did not know his offense was 112th at Michigan. We were 111th last year under him. We could barely score on UMass. I see a pattern. A very bad pattern.

Nuss must go. If not, they all can go.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nussmeier is terrible. I did not know his offense was 112th at Michigan. We were 111th last year under him. We could barely score on UMass. I see a pattern. A very bad pattern.

Hopefully Mac is involved with the offense a lot.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully Mac is involved with the offense a lot.

Hopefully NOT because it's woeful. Look at our last 5-6 games going back to last year. Treon you say? What's saturday's excuse? Bowling Green had 725 yards on Umass. We scored 10 through 3 quarters. Come on.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I'll bet Southern Miss is happy he didn't accept that job last off-season (if he was in fact offered the job, as was speculated).

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400787321

Read those stats. Bring on the excuses. Some of you have been practicing them for years. Should be easy by now.
This was a different year, a different type of game, different weather, not a first game. I also noticed UMass racked up 30 1st downs and 516 yards of offense in your link. They had only 12 1st downs and 187 yards Saturday. So what? It's a new year. We all agree that the Gators' offense wasn't very good on Saturday, but bringing up a UMass game from last year is just dumb.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This was a different year, a different type of game, different weather, not a first game. I also noticed UMass racked up 30 1st downs and 516 yards of offense in your link. They had only 12 1st downs and 187 yards Saturday. So what? It's a new year. We all agree that the Gators' offense wasn't very good on Saturday, but bringing up a UMass game from last year is just dumb.

New year? UMass graduated their best players. They were ranked 128 out of 128 teams going into this season.

We scored 24 against a pretty bad team. Slice it, dice it, flip it over...it doesn't change anything. We should've seen Appleby get reps.

I hope you choke on your kool-aid.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
New year? UMass graduated their best players. They were ranked 128 out of 128 teams going into this season.

We scored 24 against a pretty bad team. Slice it, dice it, flip it over...it doesn't change anything. We should've seen Appleby get reps.

I hope you choke on your kool-aid.
WE ALL AGREE IT WAS A BAD OFFESIVE PERFORMANCE. STFU ALREADY!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator