Game of the Century: Mercer at Alabama

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Yes, 69 points and almost 800 yards of total offense. Against Point University. POINT UNIVERSITY!

Ever heard of them? Me neither. If Mercer finds a way to beat Bama this Saturday then they deserve to be laughed at. Like when U.L. Monroe beat Bama in 07. Or when Georgia Southern beat the Gators. Or when Appy State beat Michigan... I think you get the picture... ;)
Yeah, but I don't think you get sarcasm.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
My daughter graduated from Mercer last year,...I have a Mercer Bears hat I wear pretty regularly. It is, at least, orange...The football program stopped for a while and has only been resurrected...regurgitated...for a little while. My daughter, who is a sports and Gator fan, did not follow Mercer athletics.
She tells me that she found out the majority of Mercer students are in-state and big UGA fans.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My daughter graduated from Mercer last year,...I have a Mercer Bears hat I wear pretty regularly. It is, at least, orange...The football program stopped for a while and has only been resurrected...regurgitated...for a little while. My daughter, who is a sports and Gator fan, did not follow Mercer athletics.
She tells me that she found out the majority of Mercer students are in-state and big UGA fans.

Mercer is a damned good school, especially their pharmacy and law programs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, 69 points and almost 800 yards of total offense. Against Point University. POINT UNIVERSITY!
no offense, but you're just not smart enough for this board.

have you considered Swamp Ass?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Mercer University football player arrested for sexual assault | 13wmaz.com

Mercer has had players arrested for sexual assault. Maybe they're better than we think they are.
Out of curiosity I checked their roster and this particular guy is gone. In the process I noted Mercer has a grand total of 4 OL’s who are 300 lbs or over and 1 DL who is. If Bama doesn’t cover it will be because Saban just didn’t feel like it. I bet even some (all?) of their walk-ons would start for Mercer.
Also saw that Jake Fromm’s little brother, Dylan, is a QB for Mercer. FWIW, he was an outstanding HS player, but is on the small side for college football.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mercer smartly took the game to raise money for their skateboard varsity.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I personally HATE these "gimme" OOC games as they are basically nothing more than a glamorous walk-through most of the time.

I agree. It is ridiculous. But then sometimes along comes a U.L. Monroe, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, etc. that makes one question even more why they played those schools...

Northern Illinois, as well.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
In 1916, a Blowout for the Ages (Published 2006)

In the spring of 1915, Cumberland College of Lebanon, Tenn., was indiscreet. Its baseball team, fortified with professionals, routed Georgia Tech, 22-0.

The Georgia Tech coach, John Heisman (yes, that Heisman), vowed revenge. He got it a year later on Oct. 7, 1916 — 90 years ago today — when the Georgia Tech football team, which he also coached, overran Cumberland, 222-0, in the most lopsided game in college football history.

In that era, the Cumberland football team played teams like Mississippi, Tulane, South Carolina, Louisiana State and Tennessee. Cumberland discontinued football before the 1916 season, but forgot to tell Georgia Tech.

Heisman insisted that the game go on. If it did not, he said, he would hold Cumberland to a forfeit fee of $3,000, a large sum then.

Schedules were arranged by student managers then. The burden fell upon Cumberland’s student manager, George Allen, later an adviser to United States presidents. He rounded up 13 students, many of them fraternity brothers, to go to Atlanta and play.

When the game began, Georgia Tech scored on its first play. Cumberland fumbled on the next play, and Tech returned it for a touchdown. Cumberland fumbled again on its first play, and Tech scored two plays later. And on and on.

After one quarter, Tech led, 63-0. At halftime, the score was 126-0. In a 1998 Georgia Tech alumni publication, Frank Burns, the Cumberland historian, quoted from Heisman’s halftime pep talk:

“We’re ahead, but you just can’t tell what those Cumberland players have up their sleeves. They may spring a surprise. Be alert, men.”

Alex.

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it got away from Cumberland a little bit there in that first quarter. Should’ve probably been 252-0 though based on halftime score, so you have to be impressed with some of the defensive adjustments.

The second half “defensive adjustment” was playing 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The second half “defensive adjustment” was playing 15 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

Alex.

So it was worse actually? Wow. I was waiting to see what kind of class they had coming in, but yeah, it may be time to clean house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.