Gator fans are "offense addicts"

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This article is a little older, but I don't remember seeing it before.

Earlier this year, I asked Spencer Hall why he was bearish on Muschamp.
This was his response:
Will Muschamp has displayed no ability to hire a competent staff or evaluate and recruit offensive players. His brand of football is horrendous viewing, a constipated half-game played by NFL game management rules with a hopelessly overburdened defense asked to carry the entire team on their backs. Muschamp will now attempt to save his job by moving entirely out of his comfort zone and running a spread offense with one qualified quarterback and no threats at receiver AND a line learning a new scheme, all done against the usual meat grinder of a schedule. It will end just as well as that experiment did, and then none of us will have to watch this horrible bull**** ever again. The sooner this ends, the better.
https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/6/...rs-2014-season

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
and? Florida fans being offense addicts isn't really new news. It's also the reason I beleive any coach with a defensive mentality is destine to fail if they do not win National Titles early. As a fanbase we judge our teams based on offense.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
and? Florida fans being offense addicts isn't really new news. It's also the reason I beleive any coach with a defensive mentality is destine to fail if they do not win National Titles early. As a fanbase we judge our teams based on offense.
:exactly:

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
It is much more entertaining to watch, that is for sure.... top 120 in offense ain't cutting it!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR said:
It is much more entertaining to watch, that is for sure.... top 120 in offense ain't cutting it!
Neither is bottom 10.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've said it a hundred times,Florida football was built on great offenses.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I've never faulted Muschamp for his offensive philosophy. I like power run first football as much as the high flying spread offenses everywhere today. The problem is he tried to build a skyscraper without a foundation. You have to have a big, strong and deep offensive line. We might have had some of the skill position players minus WR's, but we had some of the worst offensive line play from 2011 to the present that I have ever seen on any football team at almost any level.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n23666 said:
:hehehe: I could almost feel the spittle.

Lotta' truth there unfortunately. Hope he's wrong about the last part.
Yeah I need to get Spencer Hall on the podcast. :bwahaha:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There are very few football fans who would tell you that what we put out on the field and called offense is something they look forward to watching week after week. The Saturday morning fishing shows are more exciting. I'm sure there's a handful of people who enjoyed watching it, but I bet most of them were punters in high school or were rooting for the other team.

The offense should be trying to score as many points as possible, the defense trying to stop the other team from scoring, and the special teams trying to change the momentum of the game with a big play. Muschamp needs to quit coaching scared and just let our superior athletes dominate in all phases of the game, not just on defense.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n23522 said:
Will Muschamp has displayed no ability to hire a competent staff or evaluate and recruit offensive players.
This seems pretty spot on. As to the rest of the rant, we need to see how it plays out during the season. Unfortunately, we may have to experience another difficult year before we can assess they "what" and/or "why".

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
People forget our 2006 National Championship year. We were beating teams by playing crappy offense and great defense.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J;n23725 said:
People forget our 2006 National Championship year. We were beating teams by playing crappy offense and great defense.

Crappy offense would be an upgrade to what we had last year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J;n23725 said:
Florida was ranked 18th in the nation in yards and 23rd in points in 2006 (#2 in the SEC). Hardly crappy.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J;n23725 said:

Actually we were in the teens in 2006 in total offense. I think that was one of the final years before all these 450 yards a game plus spread offenses started showing up.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J said:
I wouldn't call that offense crappy.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was interesting that in 2006 the Total Offense was 875 plays and 5545 yards with a 13-1 record. Compare that to Spurrier in 2001 when he went 10-2, we ran 758 plays and 5803 yards (I can't find stats back to '96). In 2012 we ran 827 plays for 4347 yards and went 11-2. Our putrid 3800 yards last year were on 793 plays. Spurrier would take the steam out of a team early by deflating whatever ego they brought to the game through scoring quick and often with later game support by playing defense enough to shorten the field when teams felt the need to get away from their run game and try to catch up.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Homer J said:
Nor would I. Hell, that offense looked like "the greatest show on turf" compared to what we've witnessed the last few years.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What's the problem with having a great D and a great O. Geez...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator