Gator Great John Reaves passes away

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Ray Graves' pass-happy Super Sophs with John Reeves at qb went 9-1-1 in 1969 stunning the CFB world and it looked like clear sailing ahead with so much talent. Then something happened. Graves retired and Doug Dickey came home and installed a mechanical style of play. Reeves complained that Dickey had turned the offense into a bunch of "robots" and the glory of his soph season was never duplicated. I was shocked and saddened by the passing of John Reeves, a great Gator who could have been so much more. RIP John. You gave us some great moments.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Ray Graves' pass-happy Super Sophs with John Reeves at qb went 9-1-1 in 1969 stunning the CFB world and it looked like clear sailing ahead with so much talent. Then something happened. Graves retired and Doug Dickey came home and installed a mechanical style of play. Reeves complained that Dickey had turned the offense into a bunch of "robots" and the glory of his soph season was never duplicated. I was shocked and saddened by the passing of John Reeves, a great Gator who could have been so much more. RIP John. You gave us some great moments.

Installing the Wishbone when you inherit John Reaves as your QB is mushchumpian-level stupid. Dickey didn't shoot himself in the foot, he blew off his entire leg. I blame steven c oconnell for that hire and I don't understand why we named an athletic facility after him.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

I get it, everybody hates Dickey and it was a bonehead move to hire him. It's not like O'Connell fired the beloved Ray Graves though. Graves had been thinking about retiring for a couple of years. He assumed D coordinator Gene Ellenson would replace him and keep O coordinator Fred Pancoast. Graves retired from coaching to focus on being the AD. O'Connell passed over Ellenson and hired former UF QB Doug Dickey who had a successful stint as Tennessee's head coach. What was weird was Florida played Dickey's Vols in a bowl game following that 1969 season and their old coach beat their new coach. Not a good sign.

With the loss of Ellenson (the emotional heartbeat of the team) and Pancoast, Dickey brought in a whole new staff. What's worse, the 1970 team brought back skill players but was decimated on the lines by graduation, and then had a run of bad injuries to key players. The high hopes for the 1970 team were dashed.

Dickey had a few really strong years and a few really terrible years, but his coaching stint at UF was complicated by racial tensions that effected the team, the campus, and the alumni. He integrated the team and it pissed off a lot of people. He was never beloved by Gator Nation the way Ray Graves was.

Gene Ellenson is often overlooked in the annals of Gator history. He shouldn't be. His ability to motivate was unmatched. Gator fans should all know about "The Letter" and the power of his pep talks.

The Letter: http://floridagators.com/news/2004/1/21/6445.aspx

From Wikipedia about his pep talks:

Pep talks
Ellenson was hugely popular among the Gators players, and served as the team's chief motivational speaker during the 1960s and beyond.

After the Gators struggled to a 1–2 record to begin the 1962 season, Ellenson wrote a letter to each member of the team detailing his War World II experiences and encouraging them to play harder: "You'll be a better man for it, and the next adversity won't be so tough." Players and coaches credit the letter for inspiring the team to beat several tough opponents and end the season with a bowl victory.[9]

Ellenson's pep talk before the Gators' 1963 game against Alabama inspired Gators lineman Jack Katz to smash his helmet through a locker room blackboard, and inspired the team to upset the Crimson Tide 10–6, handing Alabama coach Bear Bryant his first of only two career losses in Tuscaloosa.[10]

When Buster Bishop, the coach of the Florida Gators men's golf team, fell ill immediately before the 1968 NCAA national tournament, Ellenson accompanied the golfers to the tournament in Las Cruces, New Mexico in his place. He delivered a memorable pep talk to the team using his favorite "positive molecules" metaphor, and the Gators upset the top-ranked Houston Cougars to win the NCAA tournament—the first national championship, in any sport, won by University of Florida athletes.[11]

Even after he left the coaching profession in 1970, Ellenson was still called upon to deliver motivational pregame speeches. In 1986, then-Gators coach Galen Hall invited Ellenson to give a pregame talk before the 3–4 Gators faced the 7–0 and 5th-ranked Auburn Tigers. Florida won 18–17 in what is still considered one of the greatest games in Florida Field history.[12]

Steve Spurrier had been the Gators' award-winning quarterback while Ellenson was an assistant coach in the 1960s. When Spurrier was the head coach at Duke in the late 1980s, he twice had Ellenson give pep talks to his team before traditional rivalry games. Duke won on both occasions.[13] When Spurrier returned to his alma mater in 1990 to become the Gators' head coach, he again invited Ellenson to deliver inspirational talks before big games.[14] The Gators went 4–0 in those contests.[14][15]

When you argue the Gators all-time coaching staff, Spurrier is coaching the Offense, Meyer is coaching the Special Teams, maybe Pell or Stoops is coaching the Defense...but there is no doubt Gene Ellenson is the one giving the halftime speech.

Alex.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I dont think Dickey installed the Wish Bone right away. The senior laden off. line were gone when Doug showed up. There was real anger by the team when they hired Doug as the REALLY wanted Ellenson and Pancost to stay. Carlos even lead the way in protest I think. Then you had the racial issues (that I really dont remember but the black athlete was now there). So it was a combination of things that lead to what happened. Dickey was not a bad hire. He just won the SEC title. I think he beat bama that year. He was a former UF QB. lt was a mess. And Alvarez messed up his knee. But 69 was magic. Had John not thrown a gazillion INTs against Aub. we probably win the SEC for the first time. Aub, had our number.......

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Graves' pass-happy Super Sophs with John Reeves at qb went 9-1-1 in 1969 stunning the CFB world and it looked like clear sailing ahead with so much talent. Then something happened. Graves retired and Doug Dickey came home and installed a mechanical style of play. Reeves complained that Dickey had turned the offense into a bunch of "robots" and the glory of his soph season was never duplicated.
A bad play caller can screw up anything. The could even make Tom Brady look mediocre.

And some people will inevitably make excuses.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
No she got us both tickets. She really must have loved me to do that. She gave me a gift Ive never fully appreciated till now.

I was at that game with my dad who attended U. of Tennessee. I was a sophomore at UF. Needless to say there was a lot of tension in the air that day with Dickey, a UF alumnus coaching UT and Graves. a UT alumnus, coaching UF and all the rumors about Dickey coming to Gainesville swirling around.

Dad was a Tennessee fan from way back, but after we moved to Florida and I went to UF he also became a big Gator fan. He also liked Ray Graves a lot who played under Neyland at Tennessee. And for Dad Neyland was God.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I dont think Dickey installed the Wish Bone right away. The senior laden off. line were gone when Doug showed up. There was real anger by the team when they hired Doug as the REALLY wanted Ellenson and Pancost to stay. Carlos even lead the way in protest I think. Then you had the racial issues (that I really dont remember but the black athlete was now there). So it was a combination of things that lead to what happened. Dickey was not a bad hire. He just won the SEC title. I think he beat bama that year. He was a former UF QB. lt was a mess. And Alvarez messed up his knee. But 69 was magic. Had John not thrown a gazillion INTs against Aub. we probably win the SEC for the first time. Aub, had our number.......

Correct. The wishbone came later, after we had more black athletes.

About that Auburn game...it wasn't that they just had our number. Our O was on fire going into that game. Auburn knew they were going to get destroyed. In desperation, they tried something new and radical...they put in a rudimentary zone defense for that game. Back then, nobody in college ran a zone, nobody had seen it, nobody had prepped for it. Reaves was seeing what looked to him like wide open receivers all day. He'd throw the ball and somehow it would end up in the hands of an Auburn defender. We never adjusted and lost that game. I still think he holds the NCAA record for interceptions in a game (it was 9!). Not only did that loss cost us the SEC (Tennessee won it that year, but we beat them in the Gator Bowl), but it might have cost us a shot at a piece of the MNC.

Alex.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
they put in a rudimentary zone defense for that game. Back then, nobody in college ran a zone, nobody had seen it, nobody had prepped for it.
I remember reading about that one time. I heard it like they put a nickel back or something. I remember signs in Gville saying 6-0 or 7-0 THE gators were hot and took college football by storm. That game took the air out of our sails.........

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
That Auburn team that beat Florida 38 - 12 was no slouch either. They had the future All-American passing combo of Pat Sullivan to Terry Beasley. Sullivan would go on to win the Housman Trophy and like John Reaves wore Number 7.

Wish we still had the yearly game with Auburn.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
That Auburn team that beat Florida 38 - 12 was no slouch either. They had the future All-American passing combo of Pat Sullivan to Terry Beasley. Sullivan would go on to win the Housman Trophy and like John Reaves wore Number 7.

Wish we still had the yearly game with Auburn.
I was at that game too and like you I miss playing Auburn every year. Both teams it seemed ruined each others season many times. All time record is close to 50-50.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I was in GHS and working at H&Y car wash back then. The lines at H&Y were a trip - businessmen to hippies - lots of hippies, young chicks flashing beav getting out of the cars just to play with us wild young boys. John was a regular at H&Y and I would say hi when he got out and dive in to vacuum his car cause his ashtray was always full of the best roaches in town

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.