Gator Recruiting Hurt By Paying Athletes Less Than Our Rivals?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
The NCAA recently passed legislation allowing colleges to give athletes a stipend to cover the full cost of admission as defined by the school.

That gives each school the opportunity to play with the numbers. Here is a list of the claimed full cost of attendance for each SEC school in the 2015 - 2016 school year,

Tennessee: $5,666
Auburn: $5,586
Mississippi State: $5,372
Alabama: $4,886
Mississippi: $4,600
South Carolina: $4,151
Arkansas: $4,104
LSU: $3,920
Georgia: $3,746 non-state resident, $3,222 resident
Missouri: $3,742
Texas A & M: $3,528 non-state resident, $3,000 resident
Kentucky: $3,524 non-state resident, $3,256 resident
Florida: $3,330 res/non-res
Vanderbilt: $2,780

You might notice that the better academic institutions are near the bottom of that list. That's not a coincidence.

The true cost of a scholarship that is determined for paying athletes has to be uniform for all students. That means when the university is recruiting top talent for the physics department they have to use the same numbers that the athletic department uses when they are recruiting running backs.

Obviously, on the academic side you want to make the expenses seem as low as possible to assist you in attracting the top students. On the athletic side you want to make the expenses seem as high as possible so that you can offer athletes more cash.

This is an issue that is going to eventually cause a lot of friction between the athletic department and the rest of the school.

Saban has already started lobbying for a new rule placing a cap on the amount offered. Without a cap I could definitely see a bidding war driving these calculations higher and higher and alienating the athletic department more and more from the academic leadership at the school.

The fact that Tennessee can offer a recruit $2,336 dollars more than Florida has to make a difference to some of the athletes that come from a lower socio-economic background.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We need to just jump to 1aa. We could give up all pretense of competing in the SEC.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I put this on Mac. Saban, Mr. Life Champion, Malzahn, Meyer and so on get whatever they need to win.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I don't understand the system as being related. The full cost is designed to make up for things that are not part of actually attending school. If we are having a low amount that is probably because the person doing the estimating is not doing it properly. It is almost impossible that UF is cheaper than some of these other schools. Perhaps I am incorrect, willing to be educated.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2015-09-03/cost-attendance-qa

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Of course it has an impact on recruiting. All things being equal would an extra $2500 sway you? I'm sure it would an 18 year old w/ a cell phone bill each month to pay.

I've commented on this several times. This needs to be addressed by the NCAA and it needs to be a flat maximum (i.e. no more than $4000, for example). How in the hell is it $2000+ more in Knoxville than Gainesville? That's a joke.

But, at the end of the day, this isn't the reason our staff is failing at recruiting.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Here's an old Steve Spurrier quote that I've posted before about recruiting against Alabama.

On recruiting: "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama ... Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours."

Vintage Spurrier.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it has an impact on recruiting. All things being equal would an extra $2500 sway you? I'm sure it would an 18 year old w/ a cell phone bill each month to pay.

I've commented on this several times. This needs to be addressed by the NCAA and it needs to be a flat maximum (i.e. no more than $4000, for example). How in the hell is it $2000+ more in Knoxville than Gainesville? That's a joke.

But, at the end of the day, this isn't the reason our staff is failing at recruiting.

So, Tinercee is paying 170% monthly of what we are paying to these guys, a lot of whom are from the projects, and you don't know if it makes a difference? C'mon man would you rather make 100k a year or 170k a year....I'll hang up and listen.....

This is not directed at your post BMF.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Per US News and World Report, In-state tuition and R&B are:
Florida: $16k
Tennessee: $23k
Alabama: $21k

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The NCAA recently passed legislation allowing colleges to give athletes a stipend to cover the full cost of admission as defined by the school.

That gives each school the opportunity to play with the numbers. Here is a list of the claimed full cost of attendance for each SEC school in the 2015 - 2016 school year,

Tennessee: $5,666
Auburn: $5,586
Mississippi State: $5,372
Alabama: $4,886
Mississippi: $4,600
South Carolina: $4,151
Arkansas: $4,104
LSU: $3,920
Georgia: $3,746 non-state resident, $3,222 resident
Missouri: $3,742
Texas A & M: $3,528 non-state resident, $3,000 resident
Kentucky: $3,524 non-state resident, $3,256 resident
Florida: $3,330 res/non-res
Vanderbilt: $2,780

You might notice that the better academic institutions are near the bottom of that list. That's not a coincidence.

The true cost of a scholarship that is determined for paying athletes has to be uniform for all students. That means when the university is recruiting top talent for the physics department they have to use the same numbers that the athletic department uses when they are recruiting running backs.

Obviously, on the academic side you want to make the expenses seem as low as possible to assist you in attracting the top students. On the athletic side you want to make the expenses seem as high as possible so that you can offer athletes more cash.

This is an issue that is going to eventually cause a lot of friction between the athletic department and the rest of the school.

Saban has already started lobbying for a new rule placing a cap on the amount offered. Without a cap I could definitely see a bidding war driving these calculations higher and higher and alienating the athletic department more and more from the academic leadership at the school.

The fact that Tennessee can offer a recruit $2,336 dollars more than Florida has to make a difference to some of the athletes that come from a lower socio-economic background.

I don't know where these numbers come from? I have a kid at Bama and one that will be starting at Ole Miss in August and those numbers list don't even cover one semester.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
2222, with a piece making an excuse for the staff? No way. The dude is a GA or part of the UAA.
So, Tinercee is paying 170% monthly of what we are paying to these guys, a lot of whom are from the projects, and you don't know if it makes a difference? C'mon man would you rather make 100k a year or 170k a year....I'll hang up and listen.....

That is not monthly

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
2222, with a piece making an excuse for the staff? No way. The dude is a GA or part of the UAA.

That is not monthly

:doh:........it's 170% per payment.....daily, weekly, monthly, yearly......doesn't matter....everyone knows that is a yearly number, it isn't paid once a year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
C'mon man would you rather make 100k a year or 170k a year....I'll hang up and listen.....

But it's not 170 vs 100k...it's a yearly stipend. I get that there's a difference but it's not a 70k difference.

Your analogy is a bit ridiculous.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But it's not 170 vs 100k...it's a yearly stipend. I get that there's a difference but it's not a 70k difference.

Your analogy is a bit ridiculous.

You can't be that stupid. For every dollar we pay, Tinercee pays $1.70.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You can't be that stupid. For every dollar we pay, Tinercee pays $1.70.

You can be this stupid. Their recruits aren't getting 70k per year more. Wow...this isn't worth the time.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can be this stupid. Their recruits aren't getting 70k per year more. Wow...this isn't worth the time.

:lmao:
I never said they were getting 70k more.....ratio and proportion must be foreign to you.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Raiders winning helps us in recruiting cause of JDL and RFN! Shows you can come here and have success in the NFL! Go Gators!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator