Gator Recruiting Hurt By Paying Athletes Less Than Our Rivals?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I never argued the math but the attempted extension of claiming $170k vs 100k.

LSU only gets $600 more per year but regularly cleans our clock on the trail. You think kids are going to Baton Rouge for an extra $600 lousy dollars?

Guess what....they aren't. The problem is the staff not the stipend.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I don't know where these numbers come from? I have a kid at Bama and one that will be starting at Ole Miss in August and those numbers list don't even cover one semester.

Sorry if it wasn't clear in my original post. These amounts are what the school calculates would cover the full true cost of a year of school above and beyond the cost of tuition. For instance, the cost of books and school supplies.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have to pay more under the table money and get these guys strippers, call girls, male reviewers, goats, or whatever else they are into so they can come to UF and win more Titles! Go Gators!!

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
2222, with a piece making an excuse for the staff? No way. The dude is a GA or part of the UAA.

That is not monthly

Not making any excuses for anyone. Simply giving information. I agree that it hurts recruiting, but is not the major variable. If you dropped the agenda, read the post for what it is and engaged in conversation you might have found we pretty much agree on this one. Instead you go with conspiracy theories and derision.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
So, Tinercee is paying 170% monthly of what we are paying to these guys, a lot of whom are from the projects, and you don't know if it makes a difference? C'mon man would you rather make 100k a year or 170k a year....I'll hang up and listen.....

This is not directed at your post BMF.

I think it does make a difference in recruiting, but I don't think it's the overriding factor in most recruits final decision. I would very much like to see some form of rule that standardized the amount across the NCAA.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I don't understand the system as being related. The full cost is designed to make up for things that are not part of actually attending school. If we are having a low amount that is probably because the person doing the estimating is not doing it properly. It is almost impossible that UF is cheaper than some of these other schools. Perhaps I am incorrect, willing to be educated.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2015-09-03/cost-attendance-qa

It becomes a numbers game. The academics side wants to keep this number as low as possible to help recruit biochemistry students. The athletics department wants to keep this number as high as possible to help recruit line backers.

I would be willing to bet that the final number at each school has more to do with internal politics than actual costs. It would be easy to manipulate the math and arrive at pretty much any number you want.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's just one more straw on the camels back. $2000 difference a year is $8000-$10000 depending how long they stay. It matters.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it does make a difference in recruiting, but I don't think it's the overriding factor in most recruits final decision. I would very much like to see some form of rule that standardized the amount across the NCAA.
Its not overriding but its just part of the whole package of us being cheap on every aspect.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Florida, thanks to tourism, oranges and retirees, is a richer state and can thus better support higher education. Hence, lower tuition, something us Florida natives and UF graduates are thankful for.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not making any excuses for anyone. Simply giving information. I agree that it hurts recruiting, but is not the major variable. If you dropped the agenda, read the post for what it is and engaged in conversation you might have found we pretty much agree on this one. Instead you go with conspiracy theories and derision.

What's your nic at Swamp Gas? They frequently use the term "agenda" over there.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It becomes a numbers game. The academics side wants to keep this number as low as possible to help recruit biochemistry students. The athletics department wants to keep this number as high as possible to help recruit line backers.

I would be willing to bet that the final number at each school has more to do with internal politics than actual costs. It would be easy to manipulate the math and arrive at pretty much any number you want.

Of course they can let me do it and we would be number three. I still don't really get how the numbers are connected, they really should have nothing to do with academic type folks, these can be whatever you might want them to be.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We are making recruits shell out $40 just to throw a football in front of a bunch of clueless coaches with bad hygiene. These numbers aren't shocking at all.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Go look up what F$U pays. Think it's in the $6500 area. Imagine that. All Fl schools should be the same but are not. Don't care who the coach is it's hard to compete with Tallacrappy $$$$$ wise.

Just looked it up, Free Shoes pays $6018

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
I was reading a book about Florida football history, written in 1974, it talked a lot about how cheap UF was for so long, cheap with coaches, making players play in the same stuff they practice in, stuff like that.

Guess it's a tradition ;)

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hell we should be able to outbid them all with just Gatorade cash.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
This seems like an area that the NCAA really needs to standardize. The disparity in numbers clearly suggests big-time differences in interpretation of what's included.

Tuition shouldn't be part of the calculation, since scholarship athletes get a ride on that. I thought this was intended for books, laundry, and "incidentals." I know our athletes have to buy real textbooks for real classes, while at some other schools the athletes have to buys books AND crayons, but that's not enough to account for more than $1,000 difference.

Can they get a cash housing allowance in lieu of school-provided accommodations?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I dont think it matters much and Ole Miss has dropped a lot in recruiting now that the NCAA has watched them some. Maybe due to the real big payouts being cut back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator